Author Topic: Paddock Stand Question  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Descolada

Paddock Stand Question
« on: August 05, 2013, 15:04:19 »
I need to get a paddock stand for the front of my wee. I was thinking about a headstock paddock stand as it keeps the forks free for maintenance.

Do I need to get a specific DL650 designated paddock stand ?

Can anyone recommend a headstock type paddock stand please?

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Paddock Stand Question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 20:21:40 »
I think the only option is a headstock one as the fork lowers are a different height from the ground on the Wee.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 21:50:44 »
I have a 'standard' front paddock stand - it works but it can be a bit of a pain in the arse to get the bike on it - I'd go headstock if I was buying again. I'd started to try to convert it to pins for the bottom of the legs instead but it's on the 'round tuit' list... :shy:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Descolada

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 22:03:07 »
Thanks for the feedback. I have gone with one of these in the end.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400545164922

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 22:09:53 »
Yes, that's the sort of thing I'd have gone for.

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:12:53 »
The Abba stand works well and the new attachment to get the front wheel off of the ground looks good too.

Keith C
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Offline Descolada

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 11:26:23 »
Have had a very frustrating couple of days, bike merchandise - wise. The paddock stand arrived but was a little bizare to put together, there were no instruction and you had to go off to the manufacturer's site to download them. To be honest I wasn't expecting to need built instructions, but this is my first paddock stand so maybe I was assuming too much. The assembly bolts are way too short for the machined fit.

Just tried to get it working for the first time a little while ago and it doesn't seem to work on the DL650. The arm lift just isn't long enough and the point where the 'spike' fit's into the underside of the headstock seems to be in direct conflict with the brake pipes distribution mechanism.

I have contacted the supplier for confirmation.

Next I bought a backup jacket (had some folks over that wanted to ride pillion) - an RST Urban. Nice jacket, of all the ones I tried on this was the only one that just seemed to fit. The only downside was that although it had protection in the shoulders and elbows the back protection was an add-on. That arrived this morning and I am damned if I can see how it is supposed to get into place. There is an opening in the back protector webbing on the inside of the jacket, but that means using such force to slide the larger protector into place, that I am pretty sure I will rip either the webbing or the stitching on my new jacket.

Not a good experience on either points.

Don't suppose anyone else has the RST Urban jacket with the back protector fitted?

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 15:01:43 »
I have RST Paragon II and III jackets and an Akito Desert jacket. On all of them I  either bent the back protector in half  or fold the sides over a bit before sliding it in, goes in easily enough after that. If you don't bend it then it doesn't go in at all.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Descolada

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 15:10:47 »
Yep, I bit the bullet and bent the damned thing until it looked like a tape recoder symbol, then carefully inserted it. It's in now and snug. It's a better protector (I.e. thicker) than my original Rev'it jacket back protector and I am very pleased by how little I feel it (it doesn't add much 'bulk' to the back of the jacket.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 17:38:44 »
It's also very good insulation so it helps to keep your back warm in the cold :)

Offline Descolada

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 18:34:04 »
That's good to know, but for once it's not an issue (give it time, give it time). I was very taken with the RST Paragon III but they didn't have it in my size at the time so I went for the shorter RST Urban. All these RST jackets seemed excessively tight around the forearms, the Urban was the only one I put on (I tried RST, Wolf, Buffalo etc) that just felt right straight away.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 20:32:42 »
I'm of "normal" proportions and I take a larger jacket in the Paragon style. Large trousers and XL jacket. The Large jacket just feels too tight around my shoulders. It's been the same for both my Paragon II and III textiles.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 21:06:14 »
Yep, I had read that from reviews of other RST products. I went back today and invested in the RST Paragon boots - yet again had to go two sizes over what I expected. I am a little on the 'round' size but have been loosing large amounts of weight recently as I address "middle age spread" and still I am only just fitting into the XXL size in this range. But as mentioned, it's around the forearms that I find them the most constricting.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 13:48:13 »
So as of this morning the paddock stand is a bust, it's going to have to go back all the way to Germany. Turns out that while they (http://www.bs-motoparts.com) can source the  correct headstock paddock stand for the DL1000, they don't have anything on record for the DL650. Which is strange considering the two are almost identical. But the Paddock stand definitely is not right and doesn't have nearly the length necessary to lify the front end.

That being said and given the pain in the backside with it being the wrong thing, the people at bs-motoparts have been excellent in dealing with this. Can a call on my mobile, they are very keen that the customer isn't out of pocket and pay all the return postage. They also specify that if any unforeseen postage is involved they will refund that as well. They didn't hesitate to offer to refund in full.

Just a shame they can't help with the right paddock stand.

So I guess it's back to square one and I will probably have to revert to getting a non-headstock stand instead.

Bummer!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 19:44:13 »
I thought it might be tricky to get a front headstock stand that fitted well given the height of the 650. It's the reason I went for the official centrestand in the end.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 22:34:46 »
I have the official centre stand, but it still rests on the front wheel when the bike is up on the stand. That doesn't help when I need to spin the front wheel because I still end up needing a hand to keep the back end down while I work.

I guess I am going to have to go down the standard paddock stand route - but as has been mentioned already, that locks the forks in place.

Anyone got a recommendation for a paddock stand we know works with the (front) DL650?

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 22:54:59 »
Why not just get something to go under the engine. I put mine on the centre stand and then have a jack under the bash plate to hold it up. If you don't have a bash plate, use a block of wood. I use a small hydraulic bottle jack, but I want a trolley jack so I'll find an excuse for one sometime :)

Offline Descolada

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:12:50 »
These are all good suggestions, I was just looking for a simple "in and up" solution. I have also used wooden blocks in the past but was never too comfortable with how much weight the bash plate was taking.

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 12:18:32 »
Just remember that front paddock stands are designed to be used in conjunction with a rear paddock or centre stand.

BTW called ABBA the other day and they don't do specific adaptors for the Vstrom range, but a SV650 adaptor kit will work OK if you tie the main footrests out of the way.

I use the standard centre stand as supplied by Suzuki and it works fine when used in conjunction wit a trolley jack.

Keith C
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Offline Descolada

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 15:09:33 »
That's the conclusion I have come to. I have ordered a bottle jack and will use this in conjunction with the centre stand. At least this way I can use the bottle jack in order projects also.