Author Topic: top box cannot open  (Read 916 times)

Offline johnapp

top box cannot open
« on: July 31, 2013, 16:28:50 »
Hi just thought I would mention that my genuine Suzuki top box refused to open with the key when I got to the bmf so instead of destroying it, to open it, I drilled a small hole (carefully with a terminal screwdriver) in line with the lock and immediately above the sealing band in the lid. I was then able to gently push the retaining catch back to open the lid. I could then close it again for the trip home and open it the same way with the screwdriver. I found that the nut had undone dropped on the road but the hole is too small (fortunately) to allow the plastic cam to disappear as well. I managed to put the cam back on and find a (peculiar size) 13mm nut which I loctited on. All I did then was to use blu tak for the small hole and touch it up black. Fiddly job but well worthwhile not destroying your topbox .

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: top box cannot open
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 19:13:18 »
If you're talking about the plastic top boxes made by "Soft" for the older V-Stroms then this is a well known problem. A large flat screwdriver works well to pop the box open and you could even get it open by deforming the lid a bit. Your small hole might be a better option if you aren't sure that you won't damage by other means :thumb:

If you search the forum there is a nice thread (I think it's written by "kevshek") that shows how to repair and reinforce the whole lock mechanism so that it won't happen again.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog