Author Topic: Vee Rear Reflector  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Ryderman

Vee Rear Reflector
« on: July 29, 2013, 16:41:37 »
Hi blokes need your knowledge - just got back from work  and thought I really should lube the chain - done that no problem. While doing  so found some knob rot  ### has unscrewed (both screws) the rear reflector and nicked it. Have checked the threads here and on line and can't find a replacement anywhere for this. Fleebay has one for a TL1000s right size but wrong fitting and that is it.

Have even been down to my local Halfrauds - and got blank looks all round - not unusual at that place. :GRR:

Am  booked in for MOT next week and am worried that as the reflector is missing and that is a safety issue, that will fail me.

I could go to the stealers but not for a reflector and 2 screws surely - I have some limited ability and don't really want to look a complete numpty, if I can help it.

I hope the limp d..k sod that took it never gets a stiify, ever - that way he can not pass on his klepto craving for a bit of red plastic. Sorry am really pissed that some one could do this - still I suppose it just goes to show, even amongst us there are a few single brain celled amoebic cretins about.  

Any ideas v/gratefully received?

Thanks
Vee Happy - old but can STILL bring a Grin.

Offline frez

Re: Vee Rear Reflector
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 16:50:20 »
See if you can find a self adhesive one.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 16:52:42 »
I've been to my sealers for a fairing bolt before now. Id go there an try. Would be expensive for there bits I bet
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 16:53:07 »
Isn't the number plate light part of this unit ? If so, that may be your bigger problem come MOT time.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline mjc506

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 16:55:36 »
Apparently 'bikes don't need a numberplate light for MOT! :shrug:

I want to find out who took it - their skills would be useful removing seized bolts in the future -  my reflector/light shattered while I was trying to remove it as the bolts had seized on the studs, which are just sat in the moulded plastic.
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 17:02:08 »
From the MOT Requirements PDF on the Government Website.

Quote from: "MOT Requirements"
"Lights: condition, operation, security and correct colour of headlamp(s), rear lights, indicators and reflectors. Also the headlamp(s) will be checked to see if the aim is correct."
So it's possible you will fail without a correctly coloured reflector - So go for a stick on one.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Ryderman

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 17:44:37 »
The reflector sits on the back (furthest away from the rear mudguard itself) of the number plate light housing - its just a bit of red reflector plastic - might try Halfrauds again an see if I can bodge of bit of red reflector to fit - other than that its off to the stealers  me thinks.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 21:30:27 »
What I want to know is why someone took it? I have visions of little teen yobs running around with reflectors on chains like vw badges when I was younger
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 22:42:47 »
I also fooked up my rear reflector and number plate light housing when stripping the bike recently. Still scheming on how I'm going to fix that. I'm going to do some tail tidying, but yet to decide how. Have seen some nice mini style number plate rear reflectors that are also LED lights for illuminating the number plate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281132823120

That a link for 2 rectangular stick on red reflectors. You just need one, but that is one of the cheaper auctions I could find and you'll have a spare if your criminal takes another. Just stick it on anywhere rear facing, can even stick it on the number plate. You can always sort something out later if it bothers you, but this will get you through MOT.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline shameless_frank

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 05:22:58 »
Good idea to get one sooner rather than later as you might get stopped by a traffic officer. Not having a rear red reflector is an offence (failure to maintain lamps, rear reflectors) so you'll either get a £30 ticket or a VDRS slip to get it fixed.

Offline Ryderman

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 17:22:53 »
Thanks blokes,

Stealers will only supply a complete number plate assembly and quote £71.20 plus fitting..... erm don't think I'll bother.

A mate at work suggested I look at trailer gear and low and behold have found a gold mine of red rear reflectors - none fit the Vee though!  :angry-tappingfoot:

The size is the problem 60mm x 45mm - you can get loads of reflectors no problem for about a fiver up but the smallest I can find is 90mm x 45mm - I could cut it down but that would be obvious and look tatty no matter what I tried. plus I would probably snap the bloody thing as I cut it to shape.

Did find some heavy duty red reflective tape - from the pics, looks like the plastic reflector and maybe the muts nuts, on flea bay,  a fiver for a metre, and free delivery,  will try this and let you know how it goes.

I doubt I'll be the only one to have this experience, if that is the price the stealers are charging. No wonder someone nicked mine - what a scam - charge a high price, that encourages scrotes to nick a replacement and fleece the victim -  a nice earner for sure.

Vee owners might need to keep an eye on this one - maybe use some Araldite on the screws to stop it happening to them.

Thanks anyway for the help - much appreciated.

This site is the bees knees, with loads of info and fun.  :ty:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 19:03:32 »
Are you sure it didn't just fall off? They are a bit flimsy as there are some rubber washers in the assembly. If the rubbers degraded to the point that they were brittle all the vibes back there would eventually have the thing falling off.

There are other options, something like this for the number plate light:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221094012967

And a few of these stuck on the corners of the number plate and you're all legal and looking good.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130815065661
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Ryderman

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 09:45:39 »
Thanks Juvecu,

Will get one of these as well as the tape.

It is poss the two screws rattled/vibrated themselves free but don't think so - I changed the plate because the original was as old as the bike and faded and brittle, and that was only a month ago.

I seem to remember checking that all was tight as well, in fact I found I had 'lost' a small bolt from just below the grab rail, behind the pipe, that secures the rear mudguard to the underseat tray, so hunted around for one to fit.

Appreciate the advice and help though.

Offline geekay

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 10:01:41 »
Quote from: "shameless_frank"
Good idea to get one sooner rather than later as you might get stopped by a traffic officer. Not having a rear red reflector is an offence (failure to maintain lamps, rear reflectors) so you'll either get a £30 ticket or a VDRS slip to get it fixed.

I would't worry "too" much about this - my sportsbike has ran with no reflector since I removed the std plate holder and swapped for a tail-tidy - it also has a tiny 6x4 number plate!!

that was 9 and a half years ago!

- no one has batted an eyelid. I sometimes end up with a police traffic car sat behind me at traffic lights and wonder "will today be the day I get pulled for it", but they haven't bothered so far.

Offline adst

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 10:28:00 »
pretty sure you can get little round button reflectors ( 15 mm ) stick on that go on number plate for about £1
in fact one MOT I had they stuck some on so it passed .. and charged of course
link
http://www.toolsandleisure.co.uk/reflectors-77-c.asp?gclid=CI3Nm9W12bgCFbIPtAodjnQAmw
Because life is the journey not the destination?  
"Dr.Pat Garrod ..Bearback "

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 10:40:13 »
Now let me see, a prominent member of this forum messes up his rear reflector/numberplate light and as if by magic one of the other members here `loose's his.
Conicidence?

Only kidding of course :) :) :)

As for the problem, your local motorcycle shop should have a suitable reflector that will fit, not just look at rectangular ones, round ones with a mounting stud are normally available too.

Keith C
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Offline Ryderman

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 18:42:57 »
Great comments/advice - good laughs as well - just reinforces my opinion this is the best bike forum around.

Stealers will only supply the full assembly and I ain't paying for that.

I'm a big boke riding a gert great lump of bike, with rumbling loud A16 cans and don't really care that that frightens cage drivers. I'm a softie really but.....
Where the 'Lerw' is concerned I am the sort of lucky sod who at the MOT inspection will meet Mr Nit Picker or whilst on the road will get spotted by PC Super Plod, if I am missing a reflector.

So will go with the tape and the number plate stickers. I might just stick a reflector on the back of my jacket and one on my a..e as well, just to be sure.

Thanks Fellas.

All the Best,