Author Topic: Mods for commuting  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Mods for commuting
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 14:11:10 »
Used to bond skin and close wounds during the Vietnam War..

Offline frez

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 14:25:18 »
There is nothing wrong with the CA glue itself just some of the additional stuff they sometimes put in non-medical versions.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 14:37:24 »
For me the standard screen is just about perfect - don't go spending money until you've tried it!

Offline Mick 85

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 15:26:04 »
Quote from: "biglad"
Heed (a Polish outfit from what I gather) will do enginebars, bashplate and centrestand for £340 delivered or centrestand and engine bars for £210. The bashplate will protect the underside but maybe ott for my use?? Has anybody used his stuff? Did it fit OK?

I have the HEED bars - good price, well finished and no problems fitting. They do make it slightly more difficult to remove the sidepanels, but that's not really an issue.
Suzuki Vstrom 650
Kawasaki KLR650

Offline biglad

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 15:45:54 »
I've put the screen on the highest setting and its fine for me.

I've ordered the givi trekker 52l topbox and plate which should be here tomorrow.

My supplying dealer gave me a good deal on sw motech centrestand, sw motech engine bars, pyramid mudguard extender and hugger which are all going to be fitted at end of august when it goes in for the oil change.

Forgot to query chain oilers with him.....is the pd oiler easy to fit? Is it better than a scottoiler?

Ben

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 16:05:10 »
My Scottoiler was really easy to fit... I went down to my local dealer, said "please fit this Scottoiler," gave him some money and that was all there was to it. Didn't even get my hands dirty!

Oh, wait... you wanted a non-lazy person to answer?  :grin:

Offline Jacko

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 16:09:14 »
Scottoiler is an easy fit. Lifting the tank to get to the vacuum pipe was the hardest bit.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 16:55:48 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
Scottoiler is an easy fit. Lifting the tank to get to the vacuum pipe was the hardest bit.

pd oiler doesn't even need to do that. I removed rear left panel to make things tidy but a couldn't be bothered rider wouldn't even have to do that. just need a switched power source to tap and sorted.
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 18:23:01 »
I just strapped mine to the sub frame behind the right rear panel, fixed the pipe and nipple to where they needed to be and wired it to a switched source. Only thing I removed was the seat, dead easy to install and you get forum discount on the PD Oiler Mini which I think would be easier to install as it's not as 'big' as the normal PD Oiler I have.

I carry spare panniers and top box keys too. Even though my panniers can't lock without the key in the lock I still might lose them.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 12:19:26 »
I am a lazy f##k. But even I fitted a PD oiler, easy peasy. Never even needed any tools, just two of these from Maplins.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 12:31:15 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
I am a lazy f##k. ....

:crazy:   Do lazy f##ks enjoy walks in the countryside wearing bike boots?  :crazy:

Save yourself time, cut the loom with sidecutters at home and watch TV until the tow truck arrives. You'll even know where the break is,  :sarc:

Andy

Offline Innybiff

• Motorcycles, music and malt whisky - in any order.
  • Bike: DL1000 K2; ZR-7
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 13:21:39 »
Here's my shilling's worth - although it may not be worth quite that much. The advice so far has been ace and from people who know what they're talking about but I'll add my findings anyway.

I did all-year biking for 2 years on a 28-mile each way trip to work. After 2 years I realised I wasn't enjoying it anymore and reverted to being a soft lad.

Unless you spend big stylee I think you'll find that waterproof stuff eventually isn't. For me, a pair of waterproof socks (sealskinz etc) was invaluable. With thin socks underneath they were reasonably warm and you buy knee-length too. As Juve said, I found waterproofs (2-piece) over the top of my textiles to be great for doing what they say on the tin and reducing wind chill. I find that, for some reason, most manufacturers have designed thermal liners to finish about an inch before your zip (ie they aren't present where a draught is likely to be) so that extra layer of wind protection helped.

Several thin layers - preferably thermal - helps too. Neck tubes - 2 indeed! But I'd add a third layer of one of these http://www.getgeared.co.uk/probiker-neck-and-face-protector?sc=21&category=403570. Although I wore mine (from Aldi or Lidl) under the nose, otherwise I blew hot air straight upwards. I'd have a neck tube under, down inside my shirt; then the windstopper thing outside my shirt but inside my thermal top; then another neck tube over the top of the lot and over the top of my head like a crazy ninja biker.

Gloves - 2 pairs as stated - waterproof, with more cloth than leather as they dry quicker. I usually go a size bigger in winter as tight gloves are hopeless in the cold. If they're big enough for a pair of liner gloves then that's even better.

Muffs, no - simply couldn't get on with them. Heated grips - no - they warmed the inside of my hands when the outsides were getting cold. Although, I didn't have hand guards to fend off the icy blast. I have heard great things about heated gloves - heat where you need it - but they were out of my price range. I have also heard good things about the lobster style 2-finger-plus-thumbs gloves (eg HG Pathan) but gave up before I got a pair.

Mirror extenders - no. I have a pair now but that was more about airflow on my K2 Vee, although the view is good. For me, commuting involves filtering. I really don't understand bikers who just sit in a line of traffic, although I recognise that's their prerogative. Wide mirrors don't help me squeeze between vehicles. Standard mirrors work fine when I'm using them properly and, on the occasions when I wasn't, life savers have don't just what they were supposed to do.

Finally, the helmet. The pinlock system is one of the best biking inventions. I wouldn't go back to a non-pinlock helmet. An internal sun visor is also great with the in-out nature of the sun in Britain (even if it mostly in).

Offline Jacko

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 14:23:12 »
If you want heated gloves I recommend Exo2. Grips are pointless IMO because they heat the side of the hand that doesn't get the blast. Plenty of folk rate grips but I would venture that most of these folk have never tried a good set of heated gloves.

Offline frez

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 14:37:54 »
Grips + muffs are fine, no wind chill because of muffs and grips on lowest setting keep hands toasty. But I agree if you don't have muffs or big handguards then grips are not very effective.

Offline biglad

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 07:28:34 »
Thanks for the advice here- its all welcome. I'm reasonably happy clothing wise, though I'm sure I'll check out this thread again when winter arrives. I have a BMW touring jacket which has kept me warm and dry for the last few years. I like leather bottoms, yes they aren't waterproof, but I keep them coated and they are fine in a shower. I have the textile bottoms to match my jacket, but just prefer leathers.

I ordered the Givi Trekker 52litre topbox and bracket. Really nice kit and easy to fit.

The dealer is fitting all the other bits and bobs on 24th August so not too long.

Just need to make up my mind on whether or not to get the scottoiler fitted. Probably will as it should take away some of the chain maintenance.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 07:56:43 »
Scottoiler is a must for commuting/touring. Or a PD oiler, they seem to be highly rated around here, I've always used Scottoilers with no trouble though.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 09:43:10 »
Had a Scottoiler fitted, replaced with a PD Mini, much less hit and miss on the flow rates settings.

Offline frez

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 09:59:59 »
I've had scottoilers in the past, now use a pd oiler. I much prefer the pd oiler as you don't need to adjust it depending on the temperature although I do turn it up when the roads start getting salty.

Offline stibbs

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:55 »
Grip puppies..... For long rides..... :)

Offline Mick 85

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 10:17:11 »
Quote from: "Innybiff"
Mirror extenders - no. I have a pair now but that was more about airflow on my K2 Vee, although the view is good. For me, commuting involves filtering. I really don't understand bikers who just sit in a line of traffic, although I recognise that's their prerogative. Wide mirrors don't help me squeeze between vehicles.
Finally, the helmet. The pinlock system is one of the best biking inventions. I wouldn't go back to a non-pinlock helmet. An internal sun visor is also great with the in-out nature of the sun in Britain (even if it mostly in).

It probably depends on the mirror extenders. Mine are just a little bit wider than standard, which means I can see behind me, BUT the edge of the mirrors are no wider than the handlebar ends, so the bike is no wider as a result. In effect, the mirrors are a great reference point when squeezing through gaps.

The pinlock system is essential - in winter, I wouldn't go back to standard visors.
Suzuki Vstrom 650
Kawasaki KLR650