Author Topic: Width and filtering  (Read 2610 times)

Offline d87heaven

Width and filtering
« on: July 11, 2013, 06:25:12 »
How do you find filtering on a loaded Vee? I'm on the verge of purchasing a vstrom but apart from suzukitis (rusty bolts and furry aluminium) the one thing that concerns me is the overall width with panniers on.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: Width and filtering
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:40:44 »
If it is fitted with the OEM luggage as on the GT models it is fairly wide but the the same situation will occur on any bike with panniers to a lesser or greater extent, so you just have to remember they are their and take a bit more care when filtering. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. You may well get a whole variety of opinions on here about this and also the pros and cons on the quality of the Suzuki OEM luggage as well.

Offline Jeff999

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:19:55 »
:welcome: It's always polite and courteous to introduce yourself in the introductions section of the forum. It helps also to put your location down for ride outs and meets.  :)

Click here for introductions page

Offline mjc506

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:26:40 »
Welcome :)

It's not too bad - the panniers come up just a touch wider than the bars, so if you can get your bars through, the engine will power through the rest :haha:
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:59:23 »
I don't like filtering with hard luggage, I like my widest point to be in front of me. As a consequence I don't buy hard luggage anymore.

Offline stibbs

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 09:43:26 »
I must admit the OEM Hepco Becker boxes with frames do make the bike wide. For that reason I hardly use them. If I'd realised I'd not have bought them when I got the bike.
I usually do topbox and waterproof roll that carries most of the stuff I'll need :)

Offline JRS81

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:05:09 »
My givi E45 and E33 are very wide once mounted so filtering becomes tricky, but I only use them for big trips so it's not really a problem!

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:14:57 »
Can't say the width bothered me overmuch when I put the panniers on my Vee, most of the time they are off the bike, its only longer trips that need them.

I had an R1100RT before the Vee and it was much the same.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 11:32:31 »
I filter with them on although I do find my self thinking about it a little more at the time. The truth is that even when filtering without them I tend not to go for VERY small gaps anyway - I'm a fairly cautious filterer. You are only a few inches wider and I'd usually leave that much clearance anyway.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 13:02:57 »
The Transit van paint on my TT boxes proves they are too wide for some of worse habits. There again, can't see any point in taking so much stuff through places you need to filter on a regular basis. How often will you need that much volume and be unable to just wait where you need to?

With soft luggage if the bars fit the bike does. Easily enough volume in a pair of roll top bags for summer camping, the TT boxes only get used in winter when the sleeping bag is huge and you don't want to sit on the floor.

Andy

Offline TravellingStrom

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 13:23:20 »
I have happy trails largest panniers and even then they are inside the stock handlebar width

As for filtering, I did a lot on my recent trip and most times I found the European traffic quite accommodating and moved over when they saw me coming through
South east Asia though was a bit more hit and miss. Nobody moved over, I squeezed in wherever I could and on occasion I felt a few bumps from the panniers. This was worse for me than them as it throws the balance out of wack
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 13:29:07 »
Here's a thread with some info on how wide various Stroms are.

My bike is "officially" the widest on the forum at 120cm and I filtered like that on a regular basis. For me it's like an on/off switch by now that works with putting the panniers on or taking them off. It took me quite a while to get there, but as long as you are aware of it you can filter (or not.) I have slightly wider handlebars on so I guess that helps, but it's not the reason I put them on to start with. I won't be filtering in city rush hour traffic with boxes on though :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 22:25:42 »
I filtered about 6 miles to the Dartford crossing with my Givi Trekkers on my Glee, that was wide but had the missus telling me if we'd clear the gap.  If I did it again solo I'd tape some straws or something to handlebars so that's the widest point...

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 23:37:34 »
A trick I've found that works well for me is to look over each shoulder at the panniers when I'm coming up to a situation where I know I'm going to be filtering. That way I get my 'bearings' on where the panniers are and know how wide a gap I need to get through.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline WeeStromer

• Bike: DL650 AL2 GLEE, CG125 ES5
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 11:31:42 »
Generally I don't find filtering a problem with my Givi E41's fitted. There'll always be some anti motorcycle car driver that doesn't want to let you past.  
At first the width can be a little daunting (oh ere).
I switch the hazards on, reduce speed, generally keep a lower gear to produce a little more engine/bike noise, then take my position and continue my journey.

Offline WLR

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 11:40:01 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
I don't like filtering with hard luggage, I like my widest point to be in front of me. As a consequence I don't buy hard luggage anymore.

What he said ;)

Get some sling over saddle bags and pretend you are a cowboy  :lala:

Offline Jacko

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 11:55:10 »
Yeehaaa...

...on a steel horse I ride...

Offline Jacko

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 16:56:08 »
Oh, I squeeze through a lot of the time then, my grips and mirrors occasionally sailing over the top of door mirrors. I don't want hard luggage. :)