Author Topic: Brake Lever Travel  (Read 1362 times)

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
Brake Lever Travel
« on: July 02, 2013, 15:55:15 »
My new to me Vstrom (Wee, 2005) seems to have excessive travel in the brake lever. I can get it to touch the bar. I've tried to bleed the brakes  (using the pump a few times then hold, open nipple, close nipple release and repeat method) no air came out.

The callipers look the same as in the SV, so I was going to next see if they are free to move back and forth on the mount.

Is there anything else I should check? The brakes seem fine, I've just got it into my head that I shouldn't be able to get the lever to the bar.

Cheers

Offline frez

Re: Brake Lever Travel
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 16:05:24 »
You are correct you shouldn't be able to get it to the bar especially if you have adjusted the lever so it is furthest away from you using the dial on top of the lever.

When bleeding, try cracking the banjo by the resevoir, sometimes an air bubble gets trapped there. Also, you can try tying off  the handle overnight.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 16:05:56 »
Air is the most common culprit so keep trying. Make sure the reservoir is full, could be air in the top end.

Does it get worse after a ride? Water in the fluid (its hydroscopic you know  :old:  ), a 2005 bike should have had three fluid changes, two at a push. If it's never had one it'll be due to go off, the fluid will smell bad and be black/brown/green.

If all else fails or the fluid is discoloured buy a bottle and keep going with the open nipple -squeeze to the bar-close nipple-release cycle until you have fresh fluid and no bubbles.

If that doesn't do it, could be a seal somewhere.

Andy

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 17:14:02 »
I had the same issue. I cable tied the brake lever to the handlebar and left it over night. next morning the brake was solid as a rock. I have a fitted banjo bleeder http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOODRIDGE-BANJO-BOLT-W-BLEED-NIPPLE-STAINLESS-M10x1-25-/390609651708?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5af22647fc , this exact one, to my master cylinder. that way if I have to bleed the cylinder again its easier than undoing the cap etc etc
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 17:56:32 »
Cheers fellas, cracking the top banjo bolt seems to have done the trick, see how it is in the morning.

Just got the strangely wired heated grips to work out why they aren't working and all should be well.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 18:06:55 »
If they are oem ones they suck. Very weak heat.  Left never felt warm because Its onto bare metal too.
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 22:27:01 »
Quote from: "Andy M"
(its hydroscopic you know  :old:  )
Hydroscopic is an adjective relating to hydroscope which is a device for looking below the water surface.

You meant hygroscopic, which is the ability for something to attract water molecules out of the surrounding environment and retain them. In the case of brake fluid it takes moisture out of the air because brake systems are not entirely sealed systems (as most people believe.)

I only know this because I've use the wrong word before :shy: and promptly got corrected by my good lady, she's a chemical engineer.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 13:28:52 »
Apply water directly to burn area  lol

Offline Dan

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 18:12:57 »
8 year old rubber hoses will be crap by now as well, rubber hoses aren't really ideal when new. Mine are 9 years old and will eventually be replaced by braided items

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 20:08:35 »
Only just bought it, so I want to be out on it for now. Dealer said they'd replaced all the fluids, new discs etc. Not always trusting. The oil does look nice and new, as do the pads, so maybe they did.

Not had the chance to give the bike a good looking over. It has been well serviced and the hoses look pretty good.

Offline Dan

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 20:21:04 »
Replaced discs? I wonder why. How many miles has it done? The hoses will look absolutely fine I'm sure. but the rubber will expand when new and will only get worse with age. I'm sure it's just old hoses. I have exactly the same problem with my strom, bought a few weeks ago (same age too) lever does the same on the closest setting to the bar. I have bled them and they're still not ideal. Get the system bled professionally if your not confident doing so if you are confident it's most likely the lines. Just my opinion though!

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 21:54:50 »
Sorry, mis-typed, I mean pads.

Brakes are spot on now pal, well as good as I think they'll get. They seem as effective as my SV brakes was now.

Offline geekay

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 09:52:54 »
interesting post - I have a spongey feeling lever too - with too much travel for my liking.

I've tried cable tieing it back overnight - which helped, but not fully.

Mine is an ABS model - I'm assuming it's a massive pain to bleed them is it? anyone know? does the usual process apply or does it require a different method?

thanks,

g