Author Topic: pannier scare.....  (Read 897 times)

Offline alex wight

pannier scare.....
« on: June 24, 2013, 14:26:50 »
Yesterday, whilst travelling back from the farm yard party in Helmsley Yorkshire, my right hand pannier popped open whilst I was moving. If it wasn't for the eagle eyed Harley rider I was riding with I wouldn't have noticed. The pannier wasn't over loaded or pushing against the door, so not a clue why this happened. I was travelling at 60-70mph, very windy and raining now and again. Is there any tips on how to safe guard against this happening again? oh, and what did I lose............. my tooth brush and a pair of shorts :-(, could have been worse though.

alex.

Offline mjc506

Re: pannier scare.....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 14:31:09 »
They don't shut fantastically well. Listen for the 'click' as you squeeze them shut.

That said, I always overloaded mine, but also put a strap all the way around the pannier and frame - so they were secure against opening and against falling off! (makes it a bit less easy to get into when stopped though)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 18:18:46 »
I thought it was only BMW panniers that did this. The plastic is thin enough to change shape while moving and the catches only support the lid in one place, hence the lawyers blurb on the instructions about not going over walking pace with anything heavier than an childs baloon inside. Don't try dropping the bike, they explode. Straps round them help.

Tourat*** boxes for me until they finally wear out* then soft bags that probbaly cost as much as plastic ones but actually work.

* Back in the day I collected this sort of stuff. Tourat*** boxes cost a fortune, leak and cover your stuff in black dust. They are **** but you can at least sit on them when your BMW breaks down. Plastic boxes do the opening and exploding trick with added jammed mechanisms and inability to open off the bike if BMW. Ex-army rucksacks lined with ASDA bags are marginally less fireproof but on a shag for your male deer basis are probably a good option.

Andy

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 18:31:27 »
There is a mod to stop this from happening , its a bad design the way the lock/latch works . Someone on here posted the fix , I'll try find it .

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 18:42:01 »
Yes. Make sure you actually hear the click when you shut them and also make sure that that nothing is jammed in the locking mechanism when you close them as this can stop the lock closing properly.

Offline alex wight

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 21:56:23 »
Cheers blokes. The lid clicked and all was secure for 150 miles. As mentioned distortion can occur, which I'm pointing towards, as it was a very strong wind at 60 - 70mph. I'll be strapping mine on from now on. I look forward to seeing the mod for it though.

cheers again blokes for the replies.

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 22:30:27 »
Heres the mod  viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12870   :thumb:

Offline cabra

• Bike: 1995 Triumph Trident - 1976 Triumph Trident - 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 23:51:08 »
The mod is a good idea BUT I still wouldn't trust them not to deposit dirty (or clean for that matter) nicks, hair straighteners/curlers (gawd helpus) etc all over the countryside. Suitcase/luggage straps from PoundWorld are the answer with the added bonus of being able to hang the empty fuel container under the pannier. You know, THAT empty fuel container, the one you had to buy because, like a dick, you ran out of petrol.  :shy:

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:59:23 »

Offline mjc506

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:01:12 »
ahahaha that's great
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline alex wight

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 07:41:41 »
great post, I'll be looking at doing that and also the straps, just to be sure. thanks again.

alex

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 13:05:30 »
Psh like that's even a question! Zip ties!

Offline alex wight

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 16:45:28 »
Quote from: "jimbo8098"
Psh like that's even a question! Zip ties!

Eh?