Author Topic: Glee Corrosion  (Read 2111 times)

Offline jackie_black

Glee Corrosion
« on: June 19, 2013, 21:49:15 »
It hasn't even turned a wheel on the salt strewn roads and has only been wet once (unfortunately put away wet) and when I was at the garage today and it was on the ramps for its first service the whole bloody thing is starting to corrode, furry nuts everywhere.  How does everyone stop this from happening?  I don't think even my vee rotted this quick.  The frame is also wearing already from my boots, after 550 miles!.  Unbelievable.
I've also noticed the ABS pump is located above the rear wheel and has hardly any protection to the elements.

Luckily it's a hoot to ride  :)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Glee Corrosion
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 22:21:13 »
I think we all know what we're buying when we buy a Suzuki, you pays your money you makes your choice. Thick paint and top grade fasteners cost money, I'd rather have the value, £2,000+ saved because I didn't buy a Honda will buy a lot of ACF and paint protection..

Offline jackie_black

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 22:29:02 »
Its the third one I've had. Will I ever learn! Kawasaki and Honda just didn't cut it.

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 22:30:11 »
You need to regularly clean it and use Scottoiler FS365 or ACF 50. Both are very good. I use the FS365 and find it excellent. Huggers, mudguard extenda's and the like all help, but an effective cleaning regime with the correct stuff like Autoglym or Muc off shampoo is essential.Brushes to get into the nooks and crannies as well.  Use cold water with it and then dry it thouroughly and get spraying. All modern bikes are the same.

Or do what too many do IMHO let the bike rot away in front of them and waste their hard earned !

WM

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 22:45:53 »
I spray mine in gt85 once a month and rinse it every week in winter and every month in summer.
Kt hardly ever gets washed. But all the layers of gt85 and crud build up a nice thiklck layer to protect the metal and paint work.
My bike, when I can be arsed to clean it comes up very nicely.
I make a habbit of using a 2ltr bottle of water with a sports bottle cap to wash the crud off when I've been out in the rain or out on salty roads.

Ride Coordinator

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 23:15:27 »
It really is just a Suzuki "Feature"  lol
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:20:36 »
You'd think a "premium" brand would never have any corrosion, wouldn't you:

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... osion.html

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:46:35 »
Yes, there are no premium brands anymore regarding the C word. Suzuki have caught them up, and kept the price down, win/win.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 09:47:22 »
That adventure bike forum discussion about BMW corrosion is a bit odd - they are all talking as if this is a new problem for BMW. I had these problems on one of their bikes about 10 years ago and my mate has the exact same problem now, it has not been addressed in any way.

It gets on my tits when people slag off Suzuki compared to other makes when their only evidence is that Suzuki retail prices are a wee bit more competitive. In fact, my experience seems to suggest that the more expensive the manufacturer is then the more quality problems you will encounter.

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:23:36 »
+1 for what Fatbelly said.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 13:06:51 »
At what point does corrosion change from being cosmetic to something terminal for the bike? Despite doing the ACF-50 thing, my under 12 months old Glee still has some corrosion on it. Last time I took it in for a service the mechanic remarked on this, saying "well, if you don't plan to sell it then it doesn't really matter too much..."

Is this true or do bikes corrode to death regularly?

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 15:17:59 »
All vehicles are water soluble and therefore it makes sense to set a limit on what you are willing to spend - even if it has had it's arse end squashed by Victoria Beckam.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 18:42:14 »
Engine cases, chrome etc. are just lowering the amount dealers and other tyre kickers will offer.

Rubbish like pitted forks will add to the strident horn and failed ashtray warning light if your MOT man thinks you are good for a few quid.

This is the sort of corrosion that will ruin your day (Warning: Harley riders and other weekend polishers should not click the link  :shock:  ):

https://sites.google.com/site/threewheelbonnienonbike/the-elefant-2010/the-repairs

Nearly got me shot on Hull docks having to bump the ******* down the ferry ramp, after four to six trips onto the hardshoulder each day all the way from Bavaria. Bodged the wiring back together, rode it for another 15 months then swapped it for the Wee.

The dealer who bought the 8 year old Bonneville from me for £1300 sold it for an unknown sum to a "tidier" who repainted the mudguards and engine and sold it for £2300 on E-bay (as one owner from new, which was mostly true  :neen:  ). There was no way I could get it repainted to his standard for a grand and somebody would have needed to rewire it pretty soon which I say brings the deal in my favour.

I have no regrets, I buy bikes to ride not polish, but not keeping on top of it will ruin your ride. Brands are meaningless in my experience, Enfields rot less than BMW's and the best of bunch were MZ (lots of lead in the paint no doubt). I would pay more for car levels of paint though and do feel we get ripped off.

Andy