Author Topic: Poorly Glee - any suggestions  (Read 13153 times)

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Poorly Glee - any suggestions
« on: June 06, 2013, 22:55:23 »
Some of you might have seen my posts that following my 7,500 mile service my bike has been running roughly. Around 3800 rpms (or 33 mph) in 3rd gear the bike starts stuttering almost as though it's being starved of fuel. I took it back to the dealers who say the problem is tight spots on the chain following it being adjusted at the service, and it's this that causes the issue at approx 3800 rpms. It happens in other gears too. They've suggested I ride the bike for a week or so to see if the chain beds in & if not they'll price me a new chain.

Now when I rode the bike back to the dealers it was really bad, to the point I felt seasick when I got there! I'd thought they might have pinched the fuel line when they replaced the tank. They seemed to agree at the time, however today they said they never had the tank off for the service as they changed the sparkplugs without lifting the tank (not sure how they checked the airfilter...???).

[They also said at one point that my service was £236 not £159 as per JAB's as I need sparkplugs and he didn't, and that's the extra cost (parts & labour) but later said they pull the plugs at every service to check the condition so I don't see how it takes extra labour to pop new sparkplugs in if you've already took them out?]

Now I could loosen the chain a bit, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Is it worth me pulling the tank and checking the fuel lines/air filter are seated properly? The dealer said there's no fault codes, albeit there was an old air intake error that they cleared. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Poorly Glee - any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 23:31:56 »
I think that you should be finding yourself another dealer, even better, an independent. They are quite obviously not bothered with resolving your problem. How difficult would it be to get the mechanic to take a quick run up and down the road with your bike to feel the problem himself? If it's that serious and they tell you to keep riding it to 'let the chain bed in' (what bullsh*t!) then they aren't worried about your safety either. If I thought a chain was that bad I wouldn't be suggesting someone rides the bike any further, if it snaps it can do some serious damage and not just to the bike. That's not even to mention the fact that they are the ones that adjusted it (if I understood you properly?) and didn't bother checking that it runs properly. Unless you neglected the chain badly I doubt it would be worn out enough after 7500 miles to cause something like this. The fact that it's at a specific rev range suggests something else.

You can't check or change the rear spark plug without lifting the tank. If they claim they didn't lift the tank, they also couldn't check the air filter. If they charged you for changing spark plugs (and the air filter) it's fraud if they say they didn't lift the tank, either that or they are lying about not lifting the tank. I always tell my wife to tell the garage that services her car to put the stuff they replaced in the boot, that way I know they actually did it, but even then I find things they didn't do that they should've.

It sounds like there is a lot of honest money to be made as a bike mechanic at the rate that these dealerships are forcing customers out the door :crazy:

It's poorly after they 'serviced' it, I don't have any suggestions, but I sure wonder what they did to it...
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 23:33:23 »
There is so much wrong with those statements I don't know where to start. A tight chain needs to be loosened or it will damage the chain and maybe the countershaft bearing. A tight chain cannot cause stuttering. The rear center spark plug cannot be accessed without lifting the tank.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 23:48:45 »
Thanks for the comments, I was thinking similar but it's good to know what's fact and what isn't (I thought I'd read the tank needs lifting for plugs). I'm really annoyed as I've used the dealership since 2009 and had all servicing done there, but now think they're useless. I think part of the problem is they're some distance from my house and by the time I finish work and get there they're about to close, so just say anything. I'm off work next Friday so I might head over for when they open and stay until it's fixed or I get money back.

They did adjust the chain as part of the service, and they did ride the bike up and down the road & said they noticed the stuttering but said the only issue with the bike is the chain. And a previous air intake fault which they said could have been a result of the scottoiler I installed last summer.

I will look for another dealership, not keen on independent garage at the moment as Suzuki's website states:
" Will Suzuki honour my warranty if my motorcycle is serviced by a non Suzuki Dealer? Yes, so long as any defects are not the result of any service related issues" My experience of their customer service leads me to think they'd pin any fault on service related issues.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 00:10:07 »
This "dealer" thinks you are an idiot and that they can steal from you. I personally would get hold of the owner of this business and have a very personal chat with him if they did it to me.

If they are a Suzuki dealer you should call Suzuki customer services on 0500 011959, explain that they claim to have checked the sparkplugs without removing the tank which is clearly a lie. Be polite but firm, very firm if necessary. The girlie who knows nothing will then put you on to someone who works for Suzuki (not their call centre provider). My experience is that they do care but you need to quietly and politely make a fuss.

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 07:13:58 »
The dealer in question, if its the one I think it is. (Does it contain the name of a fruit?) claims to ALWAYS lift the tank on glee services. They even check the air filter on the 3500 mile service when its not really necessary unless you live in dust city. This was their explanation why their prices were an extra 1/2 hours labour dearer than the rest when I grilled them when they did my 3500 mile service. It was company policy according to their service bloke in the office. Me thinks my glee might be finding another garage come its 7500 mile service. Anyone recommend an alternative place to service a Strom in West Yorkshire?.
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:55:37 »
Anyone recommend an alternative place to service a Strom in West Yorkshire?

My take mine to BLD this time (11000 mile service) , depending on what Colin Appleyards says
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 10:15:43 »
Quote from: "Mitch"
The dealer in question, if its the one I think it is. (Does it contain the name of a fruit?) claims to ALWAYS lift the tank on glee services.

Does one a day keep the doctor away from 36 inches IYSWIM?

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:36:08 »
Just name them, for the benefit of other members, please.

People are silly sometimes about naming firms or people. They think it might be libel. But the truth can never be libel, that's the law. (Even down in England where you have some funny laws)

Offline frez

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 12:24:04 »
7500 mile service calls for a throttle body sync, chances are they gave that job to the trainee muppet that has fucked it up.

My advice: Take the bike to another dealer/mechanic to investigate and fix, if the other dealer finds anything wrong get them to detail exactly what was wrong on the invoice, then send a bill to the original dealer for the value of the new invoice with a letter explaining why you are billing them and that it will be followed up with a small claim if not paid within 28 days.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 12:24:41 »
Fatbelly's right.

Saying "Colin Appeyard's mechanics are completely shite & the company is a turd infested rathole" might possibly be libel.

Saying "I don't think Colin Appleyards mechanics properly serviced my bike because they say they did this, but now that's happening & they are saying its all my fault for wearing a wig, what do you think I should do?" is perfectly fine.

Naming and shaming in these situations are a must if we are to avoid having members get substandard, overpriced, shoddy or incompetent services from any of our dealers or purveyors of other goods we use with/on/beside our Stroms...

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 12:52:34 »
I'd go on Friday and not move until they look at the fault, it's their sale, serviced by them and its not right. If they don't want to know tell them you're taking it to Suzuki directly and do just that, these cowboys need to lose their franchise, pronto.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 16:38:32 »
Appleyards closed their Leeds operation and moved to Keighley, so maybe they have new staff. They couldn't even manage to book mine in to a particular day, lots of "can you ring us back a bit nearer to make sure" rubbish rather than the "what time would be convienient" and a call the day before to gently remind you. It'll be Jordan bikes or Padgetts for me when I get to something that's not just an oil change. If I'm getting Monkeys I at least expect to pay peanuts.

Andy

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 16:40:39 »
Greywolf (as usual) is spot on. To say it is the chain is, in my humble opinion, complete hogwash. Even if it was the chain they have adjusted it incorrectly. The advice to 'see how it goes for a week' is Boll*x. They must be anticipating the warranty work. Camp in the showroom on Friday and good luck.

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 00:46:37 »
Take a flask just in case you get thirsty  :)
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 11:33:15 »
Don't be worried about taking it to an independent dealer. The law says Suzuki has to honour the warranty as long as the work was done by a competent person. The independent dealer's mechanic can easily be proved as competent (and probably cares much more about your return business.) All you should do is make sure they use genuine Suzuki replacement parts while the bike is still under warranty.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 18:09:38 »
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not sure I should head to another dealer just yet until I go back to Colin Appleyards to give them chance to fix it - if I bill them for having my bike fixed elsewhere then I'm sure they'll just say they would have resolved it for free and refuse to pay?

I was thinking today, if they thought it was the chain, wouldn't they have just slackened it back off to see if it went back to normal? Anyway, I'm thinking I may put it in dealer mode and see if there's any error codes again, they said it had an old air intake fault so if it's back it may suggest a loose connection somewhere? If not I'm going back tomorrow fo it to be fixed without costing me anything

(if they say it is the chain again they can put one on in front of me and if cures it then I might believe them)

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 21:16:37 »
Is this the correct plug to get it in diagnostic mode? (under clutch side rear panel)

Offline greywolf

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 23:49:56 »
That looks like it. Short the white/red and black/white wires together to get into dealer mode. I assume you mean clutch lever side.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 00:23:46 »
Yes, thanks Greywolf. I'll give it a go tomorrow