Author Topic: Beam Deflectors  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Little_Chris

Beam Deflectors
« on: June 05, 2013, 22:17:10 »
Hi all,

I've searched the forum but can't find an answer.

I'm off to Europe next month and wanted to know what others do regarding beam deflectors.  

Do you use them; which ones do you use; are they a legal requirement; will they damage the perspex?
Shanks' Pony > Second Hand Brown BMX > Eddie Merckx racer > 556 Bus > Yamaha RXS100 > Honda CB250 Super Dream Deluxe > Yamaha RD350 YPVS > Kawasaki GT750 > 1300cc Custom Trike > Suzuki DL650 Glee

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
Re: Beam Deflectors
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 22:45:08 »
I went to France last month and checked with the dealer I bought it off, and he said that due to the possition of the two lights I didn't need them. and had no bother while I was over there.

what they are cracking down on is people not having reflective stickers on their skid lids, 4 in total  :shrug:  :angry-tappingfoot:  ###

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 23:06:59 »
There must be zero crime in France these days if they're nicking us for not having the correct stickers on our helmets.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:39 »
I think it's time we all lobbied our MEP's to stop France changing the rules every few months to be out of line with the rest of the continent. It's just not reasonable to expect everyone in neighbouring countries to keep up with fiddly little changes in road traffic law which are completely different to the rest of the continent.

I suspect that a French Transport minister has bought a share in a reflective sticker company.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:29 »
I suspect that a French Transport minister has bought a share in a reflective sticker company.

Probably right and also one who owned the company that makes the alcohol self testing kits that we're also supposed to carry. No one does and no one gives a sh*t. Don't worry about any of it- beam deflectors, helmet stickers or reflective clothing.

Last weekend went to the Moto Legends event at the Dijon circuit. Thousands of bikes and bikers, campsites and bars all full and not a policeman in sight. Great weekend, Freddie Spencer, Rod Gould, Chas Mortimer, Christian Sarron and Wayne Gardner were there along with loads of ex works Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, MVs and Kawasakis from the 1960s to the mid '80s, plus just about every other race bike from the 1930s onwards. Too many BMWs though...

Offline Georgeharrier

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 12:54:34 »
as stated earlier not required due to position of the lights.  Have a look here ....

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/to ... monaco.pdf

spent a bit of time in France and Belgium and had no probs, stick to the limits and you should be OK.

Enjoy

George
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 17:25:32 »
the law regarding the stickers has been in force for quite a few years in a lot of eu countries, but not many of them enforce it, and France has only recently started to, probably to do with the state of the countries finance.
 :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 18:21:18 »
The 'profile' of the lights is still up to the left, so I just use the light adjusting bolts to crank them down and to the right a little.

5 minute job, but avoids dazzling others and if stopped you can always add a little further adjustment on the spot to show willing.

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 20:11:45 »
I think that, given the climb downs forced on the French Govt by the Motorcycle Organisations lately, they are a little more 'keen' to enforce some of these laws. I'm going in August and will fit some home made 'beam deflectors' made out of insulating tape and stick £1.50' worth of stickers on my lid rather than risk being easy prey for bored Police with a target to meet. I'd rather do that (and perhaps not need to) than have my pocket picked to the tune of 135 euros during the holiday. Looking at other Forums, Calais seems to be favourite for said 'pocket picking' so I'll minimise the risk.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 06:54:17 »
If the French continue down these lines I will be treating them just like I do Austria ( carnet- 2 miles - motorway toll - 2 miles - pass toll - 2 miles - city toll......), I'll go round. Holland and Germany have some fine roads, beer and food just like Croatia and the Czech republic.

I've never used beam deflecters except on round light bikes that I did plan to ride at night. For daylight running you are fine. The plod is clueless, they'll be more shocked that you have no Id card and utterly confused by the mot ( never show them it unless specifically asked).

Andy

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:51:29 »
Bikes in France don't need MoTs although it's probably a good idea to carry it with other essential documents.

Offline iansoady

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 14:36:48 »
I've always used black tape on all my vehicles. UK dip pattern can be really blinding on LHD roads as the kick up for the kerb is right in people's eyes.

Not yet having a Strom however, I don't know whether the lenses are glass (OK with tape) or plastic (possibly not).
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline greywolf

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 16:32:43 »
The lenses are plastic. The beam pattern has a flat top rather than kicking up on one side so it shouldn't be a problem in reality. Just make sure the beam from one light isn't higher than the other on the wrong side.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 16:48:09 »
All the time I've been touring abroad I've never found our European neighbours bothered. Just got back from Germany last week with no issues with the lights.  :thumb: take all your documents and enjoy it.  :grin:

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 17:12:20 »
I've also been going to various European Countries for quite a few years and have never had a problem. However, there seems to be more chance recently of problems so I intend to comply rather than rely on my 'merde' French to convince Monsieur Gendarme he's mistaken!

Offline mjc506

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 09:30:05 »
my wee kicks up to the left, I used electrical tape when I was in Europe for a while last year.
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 09:34:09 »
Sod them- they are driving on the wrong side of the road anyway!  :angry-tappingfoot:

Ride Coordinator

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 09:37:58 »
From my experience the French police are highly aware of the documents needed (including MOT's) but usually licence (both parts) V5 and Insurance are what they want to see.  

They are in the habit of doing road block style spot checks which you just don't get in the UK, but always found them very polite.  These are often late at night so I suspect they are looking for drinkers at the same time.

Quote from: "greywolf"
The beam pattern has a flat top rather than kicking up on one side
Maybe the Glee is different but the UK Wee definitely kicks up to the left quite a lot.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 09:44:35 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
I think it's time we all lobbied our MEP's to stop France changing the rules every few months to be out of line with the rest of the continent. It's just not reasonable to expect everyone in neighbouring countries to keep up with fiddly little changes in road traffic law which are completely different to the rest of the continent.

....and while they are at it make them drop the old "Priorite a droite" madness ###

PS don't tell me if I spelled it wrong, I don't care

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:58 »
Quote from: "stromonoff"
Quote from: "greywolf"
The beam pattern has a flat top rather than kicking up on one side
Maybe the Glee is different but the UK Wee definitely kicks up to the left quite a lot.

I couldn't see any noticeable kick on my Glee's lights when pointed at the garage wall.

One benefit of living north of Hadrians Wall is that I don't enter France via Calais, so miss out on the French plods happy hunting ground for boosting the French economy  :)