Author Topic: How Wide is Your Back End?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Keith_A

How Wide is Your Back End?
« on: May 21, 2013, 17:23:16 »
All,

I have just re-fitted the huge "bread bin" panniers that I received with my KLV. I am undecided about the style but the big issue I have is with the width.

I have measure the width of the bars / hand protectors and this is about 98cm....

The panniers are about 108cm wide!! Which personally I think is huge!
So, how big is your back end? (Pictures appreciated) :haha:

I have thought of trying to adapt the exhaust mountings & pannier mountings to get them a little narrower, but I think the big problem is the width of the boxes themselves.

I would very much appreciate it if someone with a Vee with a set of Givi Trekker panniers would measure their width! (And let me know which size Trekkers they have, 33L, 46L or one of each).

Thanks! Keith_A  :ty:

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: How Wide is Your Back End?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 17:25:40 »
Cue Josh. The man who took an HGV on ST6.

His setup is very wide, so he can give you his thoughts on whether it matters or not.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 17:39:19 »
Quote from: "MartinW"

His setup is very wide, so he can give you his thoughts on whether it matters or not.

HAHAHA thanks very much :)

If you go on the video section and then on Mitch's video of the watercrossing on ST6. Mines the bike infront, don't worry about the width of your bike after seeing mine hehe :)
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Keith_A

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 18:45:13 »
Quote from: "jabmotorsport"
Quote from: "MartinW"

HAHAHA thanks very much :)

If you go on the video section and then on Mitch's video of the watercrossing on ST6. Mines the bike infront, don't worry about the width of your bike after seeing mine hehe :)

I'm not convinced it is wider than mine at 108cm! :)

Keith

Offline jabmotorsport

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 21:07:57 »
Just measured mine, 111cm, just a little wider than bars ... I found that I can still filter with the boxes on albeit very carefully haha :)

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 21:16:27 »
Just under 1m with Hardcases ..and I thought it was wide ....

Offline Dracula

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 21:33:25 »
I've got massive givi panniers but never worry about filtering as I drive hgvs for a living.  Not sure of the exact size but looks alot wider than yours when I'm fully loaded. I will be at squires this weekend and will probably take way too much stuff so will measure then.
"There are no ugly women..... Just not enough Vodka!"

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 21:39:23 »
Just measured mine, 111cm, just a little wider than bars ... I found that I can still filter with the boxes on albeit very carefully haha :)

Ditto I think (he says without measuring)  

Is that with a 33l and a 46l trekker panniers.  :thumb:

Offline jabmotorsport

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 21:42:38 »
yep 46l on the left side and 33l on the right side :) ,, weighted perfectly like that  :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 22:17:14 »
I have 40 litre Krauser panniers on my Wee, total width is 120cm. If you watch some of the ST2 videos you'll see my bike and how wide they are. I used to filter with them on the M40 if it was very slow and in Reading at times. If there are narrow lanes it's a no go though. You get used to it very quickly if you have to :) The bike is already balanced, putting odd sized panniers on it isn't going to help with that. Loading the 40 litre panniers roughly evenly keeps things well balanced.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Keith_A

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 11:57:30 »
Wow, 120cm, I think we have a winner!  :lala:

Offline Keith_A

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 12:00:02 »
yep 46l on the left side and 33l on the right side :) ,, weighted perfectly like that  :thumb:

Is this a Wee or a Vee? Does the Wee only have a single exhaust & hence the different sizes? I assume on a Vee (twin exhausts) there is no reason to have different sizes?

I would still like to know the width of a Vee + Trekkers if someone can let me know please?

:ty:

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:26:37 »
My old Toura**** boxes must be up there with the widest.

https://plus.google.com/photos/104442976739427547289/albums/5573577217272219745?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1&partnerid=pwrd1#photos/yourphotos

They leak and cover your stuff in grinding paste but I keep getting drawn back by the fact you can just load them with a shovel and use them as a table and chair. The width is no real hassle until you hit big cities and to be honest if heading out camping the difference in journey time filtering or not does strike me as worth worrying.

For the summer I am going to take the effort and just use a couple of roll top soft bags though. The weight of too much stuff is IMHO the thing that changes how you ride and if you have the volume you just keep shovelling stuff in.

Andy

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 16:20:37 »
Quote from: "Keith_A"

Is this a Wee or a Vee? Does the Wee only have a single exhaust & hence the different sizes? I assume on a Vee (twin exhausts) there is no reason to have different sizes?

I would still like to know the width of a Vee + Trekkers if someone can let me know please?

:ty:
I have a glee with single exhaust but can utilise the trekker boxes in any sequence, 2x33l and 1x46l. It's not much difference with 2x33l as panniers and 1x46l as a top box. The 46l is used as a top box with pillion and the 2x33l as panniers, but when travelling alone I put a 46l and 33l as panniers and a 33l as a top box  :shrug: try to keep wind wobble to a minimum. Some people have a combination of 1x56l top box 1x46l pannier and 1x33l pannier  :shrug: the pannier frame on the none exhaust side almost comes out as far to match the exhaust side but not quite (maybe 50mm less) I have a tool tube on that side to. On a vee I suppose you could have all 3 panniers the same size, what ever you like really bit it would be really wide with 2x46l  on as panniers :thumb:

Offline Dracula

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 09:07:22 »
Just measured as I'm nearly ready to leave for squires. 110cm so about average.
"There are no ugly women..... Just not enough Vodka!"

Offline Keith_A

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 15:12:09 »
Quote from: "Dracula"
Just measured as I'm nearly ready to leave for squires. 110cm so about average.

That's good to know. Think I just have to live with it & avoid filtering except through very big gaps! :)

I would still be interested in knowing how wide a Vee is with Trekkers if anyone knows?

Thanks.

ProfG

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 15:44:16 »
Too effing wide.

Just got back and picked up the bike with the panniers installed and scraped it against a car while filtering   ###

The fellow was none too pleased.

No damage done except my pride

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 20:10:46 »
The Wee XP is 1090mm  with the Trax-made panniers fitted, there was an earlier thread regarding the XP here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13282&hilit=wide
No bike at present.......

Offline Keith_A

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 13:07:53 »
Quote from: "Piglumps"
The Wee XP is 1090mm  with the Trax-made panniers fitted, there was an earlier thread regarding the XP here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13282&hilit=wide

OK, interesting! 1cm wider than mine. I do like those panniers! Is the left hand pannier wider than the right? I guess this is possible on a Wee (Single exhaust).

Cheers, Keith