Author Topic: Buying a Glee w/ adventure Pack, worth the sum of its parts?  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Mark Fresh

Hi All

Over the years having moved from a GP 125 to a Thundercat 650 to a Vespa 125 to a Vespa 200 GT (I lived in London OK :))  I've now moved to Kent (near Canterbury) and I'm looking for a good all-rounder for a short(ish) commute, the odd journey to the West Country and a few journeys in France.

I've now test ridden a Glee and love it and now I'm trying to get hold of one.
So new or second hand?

New:
I'd like a black one, Suzuki have no new black ones at the moment apparently so I'd love a grey one which are "coming out in May" and if I'm forking out for a new one it'll be a grey one.
I've been quoted £7,000 OTR for a new one with an adventure pack.

I've put my requirements down as:
•   Top box
•   Engine cowling
•   Knuckle guards
•   Engine guards
•   Screen to stop me being buffeted (I'm 6 foot) so could be the Suzuki Vario but I’m open to alternatives
•   Chain guard and centre stand (not that bothered but a nice to have)
Nice to have extras:
•   An alarm/immobiliser
•   Heated grips

Secondhand
Could I buy a back second hand one, for say £5,500 and add after-market parts to make up the equivalent of an adventure pack for a better price? Or should I save the hassle of finding the parts and fitting them and just go for the pack?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to joining the Vstrom community :)

Mark

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Buying a Glee w/ adventure Pack, worth the sum of its pa
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 16:00:30 »
Mark,  :welcome:

Speak to Brian at J&S Doncaster (tell him you were referred from this site). They were hands down the cheapest and most helpful when it came to negotiating for luggage and bling. Don't let their location put you off as they can arrange collection from a more local branch or perhaps delivery to you (ask)  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 16:02:59 »
Hi there bud,

I managed to get a brand new- pre-reg black one last year. Never been out of the shop with 3 miles on the clock for 5 and half grand :) (no extras)

As regards extras I would reccomend SW Motech engine bars and centre stand .. 300 quid for both.

I would reccomend either the Suzuki under cowl if your staying on road - completes the look but no structure ..... if not then the sw motech one is the dogs  :thumb:

handgaurds - I personally would get the barkbusters if anything happened to my Suzuki plastic ones.

Luggage - I can personally reccomend givi... pricey but you get what you pay for.

Heated grips - Dr Bike grips are 35 quid (made by Oxford) .. do not pay for standard ones!!!

Hope this helps.. it shows how mine is coming along.

tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 17:05:32 »
+1 J&S Doncaster. They often have orphan stock allowing them to sell cost plus rather than trade.
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline Mark Fresh

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 18:26:41 »
Thanks for the tips, I've spoken to Brian who's been really helpful. There's no new black ones, Suzuki have stopped producing them and the grey isn't out for another 8 weeks (summer will have finished by then!).

I'm looking at second hand then unless something happens.

Offline Penfold

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 18:38:29 »
You could also try the folks at Alford Bros Folkestone did me a cracking deal on my Glee with adventure pack.

Offline stedor

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 19:36:05 »
Hi, Padgetts of Batley had a black one in stock on Saturday. Speak to Ken the sales manager, he's a really nice helpful fella, tell him Steve from Ribchesters put you on to him and he will look after you. They
also can deliver anywhere in the UK. Steve

Offline JHGlee

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 20:34:27 »
I seem to recall that wylie and holland (Telford) had a black on in stock recently. Worth a call.

http://www.wylieandhollandmotorcycles.co.uk/
Ex Glee Owner | Now riding KTM 1190 & Ducati Multistrada

Offline Engel

• Bike: 2012 Glee Orange
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:08 »
I've got one with the adventure pack and all in all after thinking about it, I think I should have got the parts separately.

I mainly got in for the top box and the crash bars but after reading this: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=17710 and seeing some of the third party ones I thinking a different brand may have been better.  I'm also finding the top box is a little too small to fit two helmets in which is rather annoying.

I don't think the screen does much if anything but my previous bike had no screen so it's not much of a comparison.

The centre stand is useful though and I do like the book of the engine cowl even if it offers no protection.

I'm going to replace the oem handguards with some bark busters when I get the chance/cash as the right one hasn't survived the second drop I had.

Hope that helps.
Lurk Lurk Lurk...

Offline Jacko

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 08:13:37 »
I thought exactly the same thing, so didn't bother with the adventure pack and just bought the cowl. The cowl does offer some protection for the front of the engine from the elements, especially from the front wheel.. As its a brand new bike I never really intended to go off road to such a degree that I'd need a functional bashplate so the cowl is all I need.. As you say, the rest of the accessories can be picked up anytime, with aftermarket items being better quality..

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 13:39:40 »
The new adventure spec comes with , if I remember rightly:

- Aluminium Chain Guard
- Centre Stand
- Top box
- Vario screen (kind of like the MRA)
- Engine cowling
- Crash bars
- Knuckle guards

When I bought mine ,I got pattern heated grips fitted for £100. The Suzuki standard grips cost £300! I paid around £7300 for mine.

They did offer to install immobalisers and scotoilers etc but I opted to install those myself. The Vstrom already comes with an immobilizer , just not an alarm.

You could buy one second hand but it does depend on the state of it to be honest. Most VStrom owners keep their bikes well from what I have seen , they don't get ridden into the deck like the sport bikes so that is a possibility.

Offline Mark Fresh

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 15:35:21 »
Great tips again, thanks they're really helping me.

So having looked around I'm looking at creating my own "adventure pack":
GIVI SR3101 Rear Plate Fitting Kit £50
GIVI E52 Maxia (or similar) Top Box Monokey £199
MRA (or similar) Screen - £100
Undercowling £180
SW Motech engine bars and centre stand .. 300 quid for both
Bark busters £109
Total: £949

So £50 less than the adventure pack, the quality's better than the Suzuki OEM but no chain guard and I'll fit everything myself (unless I buy new and the dealer fits them).

Considering I'm looking to replace my R1000 helmet with a R1100 and get Alarm £250, Heated grips Dr Bike £35, A decent chain lock and disc lock £100 and a stormex cover £80 I must have some leverage for a good deal from some dealers.

I'll give padgetts and Wylie & Holland a call to see what they can offer.

I'll keep you posted

Offline Sven

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 15:48:23 »
Don't bother with an alarm. They're a PITA, won't stop someone if they want your bike & cause you grief when they go wrong ( which they usually do, when water gets in them). Glee already has an immobiliser as standard.
Spend £100 on a good lock & chain. Far better!

Offline hillbillyscott

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 19:12:18 »
As for colour it's only five small panels take them of n get them painted black if the price for the bike is right you should be able to find a good painter in your area that won't charge to much.
DL1000 2017 in white.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 19:21:42 »
Forget about the chain guard, it already has one.. lol

Offline JHGlee

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 20:00:21 »
Good choice of alternative kit. Might be worth asking the dealer to add a power point  - I had one fitted for £20. Also suggest you budget for replacement mirrors (aprillia £35 ish)) and mirror extenders (£15 ish) - lots of posts on forum about this.
Ex Glee Owner | Now riding KTM 1190 & Ducati Multistrada

Offline Penfold

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 20:32:25 »
I agree with the top box being a bit on the small side can't fit 2 helmets in it. The centre stand is great. I like the chain guard  and bash plate, I also came from a naked bike so any screen is a plus the crash bars are good would have prefered them in black, and I like the handguards. Got the dealer to fit a 12volt socket and heated grips not Suzuki ones.

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 13:53:58 »
Quote from: "Mark Fresh"
So £50 less than the adventure pack, the quality's better than the Suzuki OEM but no chain guard and I'll fit everything myself (unless I buy new and the dealer fits them).

The problem with doing that is , what with the parts not being OEM , Suzuki might not do warranty repairs for you since you need to only fit stuff which is OEM. Wouldn't matter if it was a second hand bike most likely , unless it is still within it's warranty.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 18:53:10 »
I don't think they could get out of warranty claims if dealer serviced etc, however if you get OEM parts with the bike (fitted by dealer) they get the same warranty period as the bike.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 19:06:00 »
Quote from: "jimbo8098"
The problem with doing that is , what with the parts not being OEM , Suzuki might not do warranty repairs for you since you need to only fit stuff which is OEM. Wouldn't matter if it was a second hand bike most likely , unless it is still within it's warranty.

That's just not true.

I've always thought black Glees looked a little bit.....well...gay. :lala: