Author Topic: STVA problem C28  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Darrin

STVA problem C28
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:49:06 »
Hi All, Am having a bit of trouble with the STVA (secondary Throttle Valve Actuator). Was initially a problem when I first rebuilt the bike and got it back on the road a year ago, but after adjusting it has been fine until the last week. Did through a major wobbly a week ago had numerours error codes and it would not run. Tracked that down to a broken wire in the loom down from pin 34 on the ecu which does go to a number of sensors and sorted that and was fine again, but now after a week of being fine I am getting C28 error code. Sometimes, as it is intermittent, the STVA does not move when you go to start the bike. Obviously it should as it controls the fast idle so should move to the point it needs to be at to start the bike. Leave it for a while then it will move a little later.

Have checker the Secondary Throttle Position Sensor and that checks out fine according to the manual.

Linkages are free moving, not stiff or blocked by anything.

So I am going to run two new wires from the ecu to the STVA to rule out any possible problems with them. They do check out OK for continuity and offer little resistance also, but two new wires would definately rule out a wiring problem. Checked out the resistance on the STVA according to the manual and they seem fine. Also as the actuator works, all be it sometimes the motor obviously works if given power. Could be a dickey connection inside the actuator though I suppose.

My only other thinking is as this is controlled directly by the ecu could the ecu have an intermittent fault?  I would have thought it would either work or not.

My question is does any one possibly have a spare ECU from a 2002 or 2003 bike that is for sale or possibly borrow to see if it cures the problem. It is the one with the large single connector.

Or does anyone have a STVA that I could try.

I know it is a bit of a cheek to ask, but am running out of things to try and it spoiling a good bike at the moment.

Offline Darrin

Re: STVA problem C28
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 19:55:56 »
Update.

Have put in two new wires direct from the ecu to the STVA connector. Have ridden around 50 miles and the error code has not come back. Mixture of town and out of town with many stops to see if it will restart OK.  So fingers crossed all seems good.

So can only assume that while I had the loom out and one-taped to put in new wires to pin 34 on the ecu something must have been disturbed. Well that is my thinking anyway.

So after all the doom and gloom of thinking it was a new ecu or throttle body with a new STVA it did not actually cost anything other than a bit of time, some wire and a bit of wire sleeving.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: STVA problem C28
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 23:32:21 »
Spray it with WD40 or similar if you're in there anyway. They get mucked up and it restricts the movement, the actuator motor isn't very strong.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog