Author Topic: Clutch Basket Modification Saga  (Read 883 times)

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

Clutch Basket Modification Saga
« on: April 21, 2013, 15:06:12 »
hi all,

well what's gone on eh!,
Got in contact with Sharealike last week for the chat about getting my Clutch Basket modified so I would then have a perfect bike again, but low and behold as soon as I start thinking its Going to all be OK , BANG , issues .......
so what's gone on then, well , the Clutch Basket came off pretty well after I had managed to undo the nut but then I find the basket has a crack in it. so I ring john and ask him his advice and without any biase one way or the other the bloke gives me the pro's and con's of me trying to sort the broken one and starting again with a new basket, given that I love the bike even though I've only owned it for a few weeks I have to choose the new basket. I Got to say that even before I receive the new basket I feel confident that john won't let me down, full info forwarded to me and was quite happy to talk to me about the issue and what to do and how he would try to keep to my much needed schedule. which I thank him greatly for. :)
anyway, hopefully getting the basket back to be able to fit ready for the weekend and get ready for a charity run event I'm marshalling at.

if anyone is interested in the inside of my clutch housing and wants to see my update videos to youtube you can watch that and more just search the name  " NORTHERNSTROMMER" on youtube,facebook and twitter to have a watch and maybe subscribe too.

anyway I will update further after the mod is back in the bike and can't wait to be back on the road..... :lala:

take it easy.... :auto-dirtbike:
'You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve'
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

Re: Clutch Basket Modification Saga
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 18:54:07 »
Well it's official, I'm getting my basket back tomorrow and its getting fitted even if it takes me till 3am, been off my bike far longer than I wanted, granted its only been a few days but bloody hell I'm feeling it. Sharealike has been very very customer focused and has definitely sorted me out to my needs. I look forward to getting it back, fitting it and then raving about it on my YouTube channel. Roll on postman pat delivering my very important parcel lol
"V are family"

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 18:04:16 »
Thank you for the mention. Looking forward to seeing more detail of that crack in your old basket. Only just looked at the vid on youtube. Never seen that before and by where it is doubt its because of your stripdown - particularly as you have the correct clutch hub holding tool.

I note in the later video its mentions that the 650 and 1000 engines can have this clutch vibration problem. Just like to make it clear that the 650 is not thought to be affected. There is no hard evidence at all from owners, riders or any other source that suggests this.

I even went to the lengths of stripping a 650 basket recently. Significantly different to the 1000 in the way its made. Will post this up somewhere, some time.

sharealike aka John
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 21:37:18 »
hi, john.

no problem about the mention , I have just done a new vlog but need to edit it first before uploading. its basically telling the huge difference I have now got with the bike, even with the issue of a cracked basket before even getting started it was still a good experience. the bike is running great, its smooth as butter compared to how it was before. I'm actually able to enjoy the bike as it should be and am very very happy with the results. MONEY WELL SPENT. great customer service too mate , you're a star.

as for the old basket I will be sending it to you super sharp and then you cn have a mess about with it and see if you can use anything off it.

just so as everyone knows the crack, I would highly recommend taking the old basket out of your bike and sending it to john, get it fixed and then see just how good your bike should feel especially when pulling away at lower revs now. so much better.
I know some may feel its a bit of a risk as its not a fiver to fix it but I had to spend double to get mine sorted after finding that crack and I'm still over the moon.

trust the bloke and you will not be sorry.

anyway , thanks again and I will definitely be riding my bike a lot more now.
oh and cheers for sorting everything so quickly so I didn't end up missing my marshaling. very much appreciated.

rick :grin:
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:41:02 »
hi all,

justr a quick one to say the video is up on my channel to shout out to all those who helped me with this issue. she is sweet as a nut now and thank you all so much.

oh feel free to subscribe :  
"V are family"

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 21:45:54 »
Quote from: "sharealike"
I note in the later video its mentions that the 650 and 1000 engines can have this clutch vibration problem. Just like to make it clear that the 650 is not thought to be affected. There is no hard evidence at all from owners, riders or any other source that suggests this.
sharealike aka John

In the name of research (well for interest really) I went to the lengths of purchasing and stripping a 650 basket recently. Significantly different to the 1000 in the way its made. Could believe they set out to ensure it was completely different. Will post this up somewhere, some time when I have more time.

Sharealike
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:11:03 »
Hi All,

well its been a couple of months and I thought I would give an update to the modification I had done by "SHAREALIKE". it still feels great. hasn't diminished in any way. can ride all through the rev range and not a sausage of a funny vibration. feels real good to get the bike I was expecting. I've got to have a go at syncing the throttle bodies and possibly try the whole flashing the Yoshi idea, not totally savvy on what the crack is but I have the surging thing and hunting that some others have said about. started coming on lately and is in no reflection to the modification by the way, that was a stand alone issue and is definitely sorted. but this is something that after riding the bike regular now I am picking up on and with it being my first V-TWIN I though as I were told by dealer selling it me was normal. but I now know it needs something. doesn't ruin the ride for me but I know its there.

Got to say I am totally and utterly faithful to my bike, and even after only owning it a very short while I will not stand for people bad mouthing my baby, saying its ugly or too big at the front or sounds loud and barbelly. I will defend her and will probably not get rid of her till she is dead on her wheels.

great BIKE AND that's THE END OF IT PEOPLES............. :thumb:
"V are family"