Author Topic: The Great Crash Bar Mystery  (Read 3808 times)

Offline adst

Re: The Great Crash Bar Mystery
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 14:54:38 »
Now... what the devil has happened to my crash bars???

Tss Simples .as a certain Serge says ........." Made in China " .... like everything else -  cheap cost high mark up ...crap product ...who cares you bought it !  ###

have the same on mine so will just have to keep watching !   thanks for the heads up !

good luck ..............
Because life is the journey not the destination?  
"Dr.Pat Garrod ..Bearback "

Offline Strommer

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 15:14:52 »
Accessory or not they are still covered by the Sale of Goods Act, so you are entitled to a repair/replacement/refund at your discretion, depending on the age.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 17:50:31 »
Don't like to say it but you could have emailed Suzuki the pictures yourself and then supplied them the dealer details and ask what are the options they can provide, sounds like the parts department at the stealers couldn't be arsed dealing with you in person on a Friday afternoon. I would email Suzuki and copy the dealer in and request a reply within a couple of working days or you will return the product under faulty goods act and request a refund. If you don't get anywhere get down there and argue the point out. Usually a product would be returned to be fixed, clearly this product can not be repaired, not like replacing a component is it.  ###  :thumb:

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 18:14:34 »
I'll give the dealer a fair chance of sorting it out (this email and up to one more chasing email next week), then if I don't get anywhere I'll contact Suzuki directly. I have some other feedback I could provide about how this stealership handled the process of selling me the bike in the first place anyway, if it comes to that!

Still, fingers crossed it'll all go smoothly... if this dealer does handle the claim efficiently it'll be a bonus as they're just down the road from me for taking the bike in to replace the bars. If, as seems likely, it turns out it was their fault for fitting them incorrectly in the first place, maybe they'll take a bit more care in fitting the replacements!!  :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline Strommer

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 19:41:25 »
PM me the name - if it's Geomoto then I will have comments to add regarding their usefulness/lack of...

A disgrace to biking...

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 19:49:36 »
PM'd

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 21:41:07 »
If they were fitted/ordered with the bike they get the same warranty as the bike gets. My dealer told me that on my last bike. I'm sure the dealer will sort it out, mine sorted out Suzuki messing me about with warranty/breakdown cover, which incidentally Suzuki customer services were useless with and quite rude about. Here's pics of my crashbar despite being bathed regularly in ACF50 since purchase

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 22:10:58 »
Oh dear UK_Vstrom650, those bars don't look great either! Think between us we have now determined that for anyone considering buying the Suzuki crash bars, it's best to go with a 3rd party alternative instead!!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 22:20:46 »
I can find many pictures of broken crash bars from a number of different manufacturers.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 22:24:08 »
Really? Ones that haven't been in an accident? I didn't realise this was a common complaint... oh well, if it is a common complaint the silver lining will hopefully be that the dealer/Suzuki won't argue too much over my claim.

I'm close to deciding to do without the crash bars altogether and asking for a refund, but I know that sooner or later I'm going to do something stupid like dismount the bike without putting the kick stand down and regret not having crash bars...

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 23:30:29 »
I had crash/engine guards on my Fazer and my cruiser, never a problem with either. My Fazer went through two winters with no cracks or rot etc. It seems to me this batch of Suzuki OEM bars may have quality control issues??? I'm going to get my dealer to look at mine under warranty, shouldn't be an issue as the throttle side is in perfect condition.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 01:02:35 »
All the cracks are due to vibration.

Hepco & Becker

Givi

I've seen a Fehling cracked but can't find the picture right now.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 12:29:28 »
Whoa , that's bad! I have a 2012 Strom too but that hask't happened to me. As the others have said though , take it in for warranty repairs. Shouldn't be any problem with that since you haven't actually dropped the bike.

The only thing I can think of is that the crash bars were perhaps locked on too tightly or maybe loctite was used or something.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 14:51:23 »
Makes a horrible rattling noise at certain revs too... Rode across London to a tyre fitters today, think it was more the loud metal on metal noise that turned heads than the sound of the V-twin or my dashing looks on the bike!

Hope they hurry up and agree to sort it out.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 15:30:58 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
Makes a horrible rattling noise at certain revs too... Rode across London to a tyre fitters today, think it was more the loud metal on metal noise that turned heads than the sound of the V-twin or my dashing looks on the bike!

Hope they hurry up and agree to sort it out.

I really wouldn't ride it in that state....I'd take the bars off since if the other side breaks as well....... :limp:

A disgrace to biking...

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 16:14:11 »
The tyre fitters put on a mod that stopped the rattling for now... a piece of cardboard wedged in the crack :)

Yeah, took a risk riding at the weekend, but the first good day of the year it would pain me too much to be stuck in. As it turned out, after getting the flat tyre I wished I had stayed inside!

Not planning much more riding for the next couple of weeks as I'm going to be really busy... in my naivety, I'm hoping the dealer will have agreed to replace them or refund me by then.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 17:22:25 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
... in my naivety, I'm hoping the dealer will have agreed to replace them or refund me by then.

Or risk having his reputation trashed before many Suzuki owners on this forum!

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 19:23:06 »
Best bodge to keep you going if you want to improve on the cardboard is available from your nearest B&Q or Wilkinsons. Buy the thickest fence wire you can and some really huge jubilee clips (4). Bend the wire into a repeated series of S bends so that when you wrap the resulting "pad" round the bar you'll have 4-6 inch long straight bits running along the bar. Wrap more round and round on top of that coil fashion. Use the jubilee clips to hold the round and round wire tight on. BMW subframes will do about 900 miles fished together like this, although the noise made by the rider whineing was seriously painful! I think it was the weight of the spare drive shafts that did for the frame.

Andy

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 19:28:41 »
I am sure someone from on Suzuki keeps their eyes on sites like this, as we will accumulate many more miles then their test riders ever did and find many minor niggles which will get need ironing out before the release of any new models.
 Due to the fact a fair number of us have (Suzuki) accessory bar issues on the Glee I am sure Suzuki won't hesitate in replacing the bars as a gesture of good will.
After all its only their bars which seem to want to rattle off the bike at 4.7K rpm.Just as a thought, do Givi  or SW bars use the main engine bolt as a fixing point ? I'm guessing possibly not.
We shouldn't have to refit the bastards with rubbers washers to reduce vibration either ( If you are reading Mr.Suzuki you owe me beer)
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 20:13:25 »
I was in my dealers today and they phoned Suzuki warranty dept and checked mine had warranty of the bike as bought at time of bike purchase - confirmed it does. Dealer mechanic took some photos and said he'd let me know... will update with result.