Author Topic: Scottoiler nib caught in chain  (Read 460 times)

Offline loggamatt

Scottoiler nib caught in chain
« on: April 11, 2013, 13:45:20 »
***EDIT***  Ah... probably not the cause of the noise! See here for what I think is the cause... and... err... disregard this post  :)

Wondering whether this has ever happened to anyone else before...?

Riding back the other night I start hearing a horrible grinding sound coming from (I believe) the chain under engine braking. Still being new to all this motorcycle stuff I presumed my chain was probably a bit loose as I've heard this can cause chain noise. I didn't have any tools with me, and was in a rush, so decided to keep riding home carefully and adjust my chain tension before my next ride. In the last couple of miles of getting home though, the sound got a lot worse and happened around certain revs as well as under engine braking. This lead me to wonder whether my wheel alignment was out too or something like that...

Anyway, had a look at it today, measured the chain tension as being within the recommended tolerances in the handbook but then noticed the nib of the Scottoiler was caught between the chain and the sprocket. I pulled it free and positioned the nib in the right place again then went on a few circuits around the underground car park in my building (as alternative to getting geared up to go on the road). Wasn't a comprehensive test as I didn't get out of 2nd gear or faster than about 20mph, but I rode around for long enough to heat up the bike/chain and it was completely noise free.

So, can a caught Scottoiler nib really cause such a loud noise? It's only plastic after all so I'm a bit surprised! Has this ever happened to anyone else?