Author Topic: Glee Front Mudguard Removal Help Needed  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Arto

Glee Front Mudguard Removal Help Needed
« on: March 28, 2013, 12:07:05 »
I have experienced some difficulty in removing the front mudguard on my Glee.

The allen bolt at the rear of the fork leg was a bit tight, it was undoing...but then something broke, I can't seem to see what's going on but it feels like a metal/plastic part is rotating on the inside.

I have enought clearance to saw of the offending allen bolt but not sure if this is the best way forward?

Any advice gratefully recieved.
1977 Honda CB400F in Yellow. Completely Bog Standard.

Offline Tommytuck

Re: Glee Front Mudguard Removal Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:40:07 »
If it's the same as the Vee mudguard there are square metal threaded catches on the inside of the mudguard for the bolt to thread into. Take the wheel off & now that it's spinning, look up under the guard to where it is located, spray with WD40 or similar release oil, hold the metal catch with pliers & unscrew bolt.
Best to take wheel off first when initially removing mudguard, spray all 4 fasteners/bolts with WD/release oil, Tap bolts with hammer then unscrew......As stated in a previous thread, the spinning metal threaded catch may damage your plastic mudguard if not careful.
Anti seize grease when re-assembling.....
The two forward dome/mushroom bolts (not brake line bolts) have collars on them to fit into mudguard.....
"Never confuse education with intelligence".....

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 14:05:56 »
Have a look here:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/DL650-2012/ ... rning.html

which is a sticky on the site.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 19:54:18 »
maybe we could sticky a warning on here not to remove Glee front mudguard as one would automatically think you could? I did the same thing for the extenda but ended up removing front wheel just to tighten mudguard back up. It's a very bad design flaw.

Offline Arto

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:15:19 »
Thanks chaps, wheel out it is then, I wondered when I took the forward bolts out why they were theradlocked?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 10:25:37 »
It only becomes a flaw when the factory put extra super strong threadlock on it.....

First time I had the wheel out I took them out, cleaned up the threads & put it back toegther with some copper grease.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:53:57 »
Of course Honda would have a better fitting there, with a slightly better quality bolt and a better designed recessed nut, for £3,000 more.. You pays your money...... :)

I'll have a look at mine when I'm next at the front end, this is why we join owners forums..

Offline Arto

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 18:02:58 »
Finally got round to fitting the pyramid plastics mudguard Extender today, it was a doddle with the front mudguard removed. Hardest thing was drilling the holes for the self tappers in a perfectly sound mudguard.

Here is the offending nut. Easy to access as Tommytuck stated once the wheel is removed. A good shot of WD40 and some long nose Mole (Vice) Grips and the effing thing was freed. Once cleaned and copper slipped, it is as it should be.

All of the front mudguard retaining bolts had been threadlocked at the factory. Obviously these have now been copper slipped as well.

I did clean up the front caliper mounting bolts and re-theadlocked them with the non setting blue stuff.