Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline rhinosumo

Is this normal?
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:59:45 »
Hi,
I have recently bought a 2007 DL650 with only 584 miles on the clock.

I got it in October of last year and have only ridden it a couple of times, it has otherwise just sat in the garage.

I am now using it to commute and have noticed something that I am not sure is normal or not.
Whenever I go over a bump, the front suspension sounds like it bottoms out and makes a bit of a clunk!

Given the mileage I find it difficult to believe that this is a mechanical fault, I haven't had a chance to clean and lube it all up yet. I suspect that the fork legs are a bit dry so I am going to WD40 them in case the rubber seals are binding?

I am interested to know if anyone else has this issue or their thoughts.

Thanks
rhinosumo
Mods: Madstad bracket, vario screen, fork brace, Anakee 3's, LED rear light unit, heated grips, knuckle guards, clear indicator lenses, headlamp protectors, Aprillia Tuono mirrors, Pyramid hugger, mudguard extender, radiator guard, crash bars, belly pan, Suzuki top box, Suzuki panniers, Scottoiler

firestrom

Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:40:36 »
Could be head bearings need a grease and re torque

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:55:21 »
Bounce the front end up and down then forwards and backwards using the handlebars with the front brake on while standing with both feet planted firmly on the ground either side. Listen for the noise.

This will check it's nothing obvious in the forks or the steering head. If something feels loose get it tightened up straight away and investigate why it loosened in the first place on such a low mileage bike.

Hold the brake tight while you make it bounce or the brake pads will knock back and forth against their stops. That could be the noise you heard as you were riding if the brakes were on when you hit the bump. Backing the bike down a slope using the front brake before riding moves the pads away from the going forward stops so they clunk on the first few applications and can stay loose for a while.

The backs of the brake pads often have an adhesive to prevent them chattering and rattling as you ride. This can break loose after a period of little use and slight corrosion. Bit of heat from first use can soften the adhesive and all is normal again.

After the above I would suspect something in the bodywork knocking as it feels the shock of a bump. Have a good slap aroung the headlamp with the palms of your hands to see if the noise can be recreated.

Any extras on the bike can also be favourite for making a noise.

Suzuki bolt the original parts together very well. Has anyone had bits open to repair crash or more likey fall over damage?

Please do come back and let us all learn from what you find - or don't find.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline bat-kam

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:14:42 »
I had the same nocking noise. When I was changing the air filter I needed to lift the tank up. After putting it back into its position the clunking noise stopped. And that was it.
I think I remember someone mentioning this on this forum already

Kam
Suzuki all the way: '98 Bandit > '99 GSX600F > '09 V Strom DL650 > '09 SV650S > '10 V Strom DL650 > '04 GSX-R 600

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:27 »
Hello rhino...the mysterious front-end clunk is a well-known issue on the stroms. Some are lucky and don't have it, for some it's located in the fixings of the front end of the tank (a long bolt not-quite-fitting the tube it goes through) and try 'padding' this out. Many, however, have it in the forks (I do), and just put up with it until it's time to really fettle the front end with new oil etc...have a look here...

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16655&p=147614&hilit=clunk#p147614

hope this helps. Depends how much it bothers you., really (eg, I hardly notice it!) but nothing to worry about, it seems.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Mick 85

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:59:22 »
I had the same noise, and changed the fork oil. I used 5W oil. So for me it was just that I simply changed the oil, or 5W oil works better ? Anyway, mine hasn't clunked since, and feels better at all speeds.
Suzuki Vstrom 650
Kawasaki KLR650

Offline Strommer

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:19:11 »
If it's the tank clunk then just pad out the long bolt with insulating tape, worked for me for years.  My clunk has come back since the dealer had the tank off for the valve check last year, must get around to re-taping it.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline adst

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 09:39:06 »
Is this normal?

Postby rhinosumo ยป Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:59 am
Hi,
I have recently bought a 2007 DL650 with only 584 miles on the clock.[/quote]

No it isn't normal ...........what is the history of an 07 that has only done 584 miles? - it needs its first 600 mile service !  has it ever had a service ?
sorry more questions than answers,, :shrug:
Because life is the journey not the destination?  
"Dr.Pat Garrod ..Bearback "

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:57:07 »
Grip the tank with your thighs as you go over a bump that makes the clunk. Could quickly eliminate or prove it's that troublesome loose hinge at the front of the tank. Full tank might make better or worse so be prepared for it going away without doing anything or having done something else.

I put some layers of inner tube on the two existing rubber buffers between tank bottom and top frame rails. Increases their height so keeps the loose pin in the hinge pre-loaded slightly as you bolt the tank down at the other end. Add each layer one at a time and then stick in place so they don't fall out next time the tank is lifted. I only needed one layer each side. Suggest three as a maximum or you might overload the bottom of the tank.

This mod can also transform any vibrating bike into a dream machine. as much of the plastics mount on the tank.

These Suzuki hinges seem to rattle when perfectly lined up. Skew it slightly or push the tank fwd or back before tightening and no rattle till next time. Perhaps not good engineering practice.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Coval

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 12:10:36 »
It appears that's the nature of the beast, some do it others don't.

I've spent considerable amount of time and effort trying to eliminate this "clunking".
Started with wrapping the long tank bolt with insulating tape - no joy.
Drained, flushed and replaced fork oil with recommended 10W  - no joy.
Drained and replaced it again with Motul 5W slightly increasing air gap - 90% result.
Front forks are softer now, dive a little more and the clunking is gone but for the harshest speed bumps.

I have come across a similar thread on VFR800 forum, the explanation given there makes sense. It's to do with the fork tube bushes, acting as spacers inside the fork leg not fitting snugly.

If I were you, I would check head stock bearing, tank being loose and wheel bearings if OK, I wouldn't worry about it for now, but lighten the oil when doing the forks in the future.
Piaggio X9 250 > Kawa GPZ900R > Yam GTS1000 > Yam TDM900 > Yam FJR1300 > K7 Wee & '98 VFR800Fi

Offline rhinosumo

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 13:26:22 »
Thanks all for the suggestions.

The bike is still under warranty so I am going to run it back to the dealer, after work, to see if they can have a look at it.

In answer to 'whether or not it has been serviced', yes it has. They carried out the 600 mile service just before I picked it up and also MOT'd it.

It definitely sounds like the forks are bottoming out under compression. I can see where the fork rubbers have reached, due to the marks on the chrome and the compression in the forks seems quite severe.

I haven't played with any of the suspension settings as of yet (or even checked the tyre pressures), I am sure that these will need looking at ASAP as I am about 18 stone.
I am sure that this won't help the suspension any. I am not sure if the previous owner changed anything but given the low mileage my guess is that it is stock.

I will post if I get any joy from the dealer, if not I shall look into the tank issue etc.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Mods: Madstad bracket, vario screen, fork brace, Anakee 3's, LED rear light unit, heated grips, knuckle guards, clear indicator lenses, headlamp protectors, Aprillia Tuono mirrors, Pyramid hugger, mudguard extender, radiator guard, crash bars, belly pan, Suzuki top box, Suzuki panniers, Scottoiler

Offline greywolf

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 13:41:46 »
It's common. I'll go as far as to say it's normal as many more probably have it than not. There is not a single case of any harm coming from it that I've seen in seven years of haunting the forums.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 14:59:35 »
I get this clunk on the 2012 Strom...

I always thought it was the huge amount of plastic on the bike making the noise lol

Offline greywolf

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 15:37:03 »
I had a clunk on my 2007 Wee. Replacing the springs with heavier once reduced the clunk greatly. Going to custom cartridge fork internals eliminated it. My 2012 doesn't clunk in stock condition.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline rhinosumo

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 21:25:04 »
I think I shall look at replacing the front springs with some Hyperpro's at some time. Seems like a reasonably cheap, quick fix.

Once the springs have been uprated, and I can see that the travel is being limited, I shall stick a fork brace on it also. I think that a fork brace would hit the ABS module with it as it is, looking at the amount of travel!

I'm sure there are various threads relating to braces but I am going to ask anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding who to get a fork brace from?

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 21:56:05 »
Hi rhino - they do make a difference! Tighten up the front, make it more surefiooted, predictable in the turn etc (and improves feel in crosswinds!).

Berndi in Austria, on this forum does them in s,all runs (I've got one of his, excellent quality, stainless/s) here...viewtopic.php?t=5745

Or richland Rick does them, find links on the VSRI site here...http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,9428.0.html

Aloominum, a bit thicker, and a bit cheaper (said the actress...) :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline rhinosumo

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 16:43:06 »
Thanks for that Gassoon, I shall look into both of them.

I took the bike out for the first proper spin since I bought it in October of last year.
The jury was still out at that time as I had only done a couple of short 8 mile round trips before that.

Took it for a 60 mile trip just to get acquainted and was pleased, come the end of the trip.
I still can't see why people rave about the engine and brakes but I am a bit tentative at the moment as I feel I should be 'running it in' still as it has only done 650 miles.

I find it hard not to compare it to  my 08 Hornet that I had but then remind myself why I swapped bikes in the first place. I loved the Hornet but the 100 mile tank range and the licence losing ability made me want to change it.

I think the Wee will grow on me more the more I use it, let's hope so!!!

Offline Strommer

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 23:20:13 »
Once you can ride it so that the rev needle moves only between ten to 12 and ten past 12 then you'll notice the wolf in sheeps clothing... :auto-dirtbike:

NB Peak torque is about 7k.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 07:06:59 »
An '08 Hornet will have spoilt you a bit with its silky smooth four and peppy delivery. You have a very different bike now, give it time.. The brakes are a bit pap though, but not poor, they're 'adequate'..

Unfortunately the ability to stop on a 10p piece usually comes packaged with sportsbike performance, something you say you wanted to move away from.. It's a more measured and licence friendly world you've moved to, embrace it but still have fun.. When it clicks the Hornet will be a distant memory, something to look back on fondly at a time before you grew up.. :)

Offline rhinosumo

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 20:06:29 »
I think you could be right.
Having passed my test 3 years ago I have had a few bikes and am trying to find the right fit.
YBR125, CBF500, CB600 Hornet, VT750 and now the DL650.
Now approaching my 40th, the DL is more kind on the joints and general comfort is much better than those that have come before it.

I think this one is a keeper, I just need to get some miles under my belt.

I am keeping the revs under 7.5K at the moment, should be able to crank it up a bit soon though.