Author Topic: Best Engine /Crash bars for Glee please ?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline jimbo8098

Re: Best Engine /Crash bars for Glee please ?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 20:49:03 »
I should mention of course that , unfortunately , mine are looking a bit worse for wear thanks to some black ice round a roundabout and just a touch too much lean... They lasted brilliantly , just a bit scratched but that's hardly avoidable. Only about 10mph though , so can't speak for how good they are on a slide , but impact wise , I would say they were solid.

There was , however , some damage to the pillion footpegs during the fall because of the angle the bike rests on the ground, taking them off would just expose the exhaust heatshield so similarly bad that way. Did it's job well and protected the plastic bits fine!

Offline mick-b

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 21:38:33 »
Had sw motech bars on my transalp and they were very made and felt quite solid ,fortunatley never had to test  them .Got the standard Suzuki items on my glee but plan and changing them to sw motechs in the future .

Offline OCDBri

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 23:32:06 »
Just got a set of SW motech bars for my 2104 DL650 (Glee) and was hoping someone could provide a step by step guide to fitting them.

I tried earlier today after following the instructions provided and various information on the web, and encountered a problem when I took the four bolts out of the left hand side engine mount (then V shaped bracket). It appeared that the bracket rotated slightly around the main engine bolt in the centre and this caused a problem fitting the replacement bolts that attached the  bar to the mount.

After posting on the forum, a suggestion from Gassoon helped me realise what had happened and I managed to move the bracket and align the two top bolt holes so that I could fit the bolts, and I then had to jack up the engine to fit the second set.

Needless to say the bars didn't get fitted. I hope to try again at the weekend but was wondering whether it is possible to take out two bolts and replace them loosely with the bars fitted and then remove the other pair of Suzuki bolts without having the same issue of rotation/engine dropping, or restricted access to the bolts with the bars partially fitted. Next time I will place a bottle jack under the engine before removing the original bolts, but any tips or advice is much appreciated.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 10:43:20 »
On my mobile at moment so can't lonk but I do recall a video on youtube of a vstrom owner fitting crash bars. I will check its still there
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 10:46:20 »
Givi Crash bars install on a V Strom.

Hopefully some kind member can link this properly as I'm on my phone. Search for vstrom crashbars and it popped up
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline OCDBri

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 20:23:23 »
Thanks Willbo,

I will check it out and see if he had the same issue that I encountered.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 09:24:54 »
I would have thought your suggestion of doing two at a time may work depending on the bars and bike ... I can't remember having a problem with mine though.

What I did was : loosen the bolts, place a trolly jack with a big rag under the engine - not actually jacking up just taking the weight, line them up and stick them on :)

Hope you get sorted!
Josh
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline OCDBri

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 12:13:17 »
Cheers Josh,

That's the way I intend to tackle it at the weekend when a mate brings his bottle jack over.

Rookie mistake and lesson learnt.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 08:21:04 »
:thumb:  let us know how you get on ... and of course some pics :)
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline OCDBri

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 20:02:57 »
Success.  Managed to fit the bars without the engine falling out.  :lala:

Thanks to all that offered help and advice. Pic as requested attached (hopefully).