Author Topic: Riding in Europe  (Read 2240 times)

Offline saunders

Riding in Europe
« on: March 10, 2013, 18:58:55 »
Hi All,

Can you help? I am over in Europe for a bit riding my 'Glee' [about 6 months]
What do I need to do with the headlights [adjustment wise or will a car headlight sticker thing work?].

The reason I am asking is that they seam to be riding a bit high. Also I want to ride with a passenger on or loaded, what will be the best settings for the light.

Any help will be appreciated [do not want to be pulled].

Thanks.

Paul

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: Riding in Europe
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 19:35:07 »
I reckon the glee's headlights have a vertical dip, so didn't adjust mine  for last year's trip down to Split, and don't remember getting any irate flashing.

Adjusting the rear preload for the weight on the seats should keep the level OK.

Offline saunders

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 19:40:21 »
I came back the other night and there were lots of irate flashing at me [mainly from truck drivers].
So if anyone has any advice on the the angle the beams should be at, that would be nice.

Cheers.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 20:41:39 »
I used electrical tape on mine to blank out the top and left sides as per dealerships recommendation. Still got some flashing at night though only rode once in the dark.

I'm pretty sure I read on here (may have been stromtroopers) that there's 4 screws behind the headlight that adjust vertical and horizontal?

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 20:57:53 »
Suggest you load the bike with luggage and a pillion plus yourself and then adjust the suspension to suit. Then with this load check the headlight setting and adjust it if needed. There are lots of sites on the internet that show you how to set the right height. If it is set properly you shouldn't get flashed by other drivers. Here is one that may help:-
       http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5852411_adjus ... light.html

Offline saunders

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 21:16:09 »
Thanks will try that.

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 21:31:45 »
You can adjust the hight using the two inner headlight adjusters (pictures in owners manual I think), turn them both the same amount of turns, mine took one and a quarter, and remember how much you turned them to undo the adjustment if you want back when back home.   :fix:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 22:34:15 »
I had to adjust my glee lights, they were aimed high out of the showroom. I guess they're tested with 5 stone Japanese fellas sat on them.. The adjusters' location is in the manual, a 10mm bolt for each light..

Offline saunders

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:20:19 »
Thank you for your good information, about the bike coming with the beam set high [I thought it was just me seeing things wrong]. It is due its 1st year service this month, so I will check it before and ask them to adjust it.

Paul

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:16:42 »
Quote from: "Ali"
Adjusting the pre load won't compensate enough when loaded, especially if they were high in the first place.

Why won't the preload compensate when loaded? Ignore the lights being set up wrongly to start with, as you'd get similar effect if the rear tyre was flat, and that's not "normal" or correct either.

Offline saunders

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 14:36:58 »
Thanks Ali, for all your advice and truths about UK riders in Europe and the times you get blinded, losing what night vision you have and the buttock clenching moments there after.

For my point of view, I do not like blinding other road users [or being blinded myself]. So when she goes for the 1st year service next week [when the snow stops] I will get the beams lowered to the minimum for a solo rider, and then with pillion use the rear tensioning as best as possible, if after loading and pillion it is still too high I will lower them further, as most of my riding is with the good lady strapped to the back.

As for the riders who do only ride in the day, the 'Glee' as its lights are on all the time, so there should be no excuse for not having the correct beam settings, both day & night.

**Also, can the beam direction be changed like the height, I know there is a knob for it [or do I need a new pair or lenses that will change the direction so it is not pointing into oncoming traffic]? If this possible, that would be good, it will save me trying to get them stickers for car headlights and making them fit, or just plain gaffer tap. [Any ideas on this one, now the beam height has been solved?]

Thanks for all your help.

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 14:49:22 »
Quote from: "Oop North John"
Adjusting the pre load won't compensate enough when loaded, especially if they were high in the first place.

Why won't the preload compensate when loaded? Ignore the lights being set up wrongly to start with, as you'd get similar effect if the rear tyre was flat, and that's not "normal" or correct either.

But you can't ignore the lights being set up incorrectly in the first place.

Great logic there  :thumb:

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 18:42:17 »
Has anyone actually put tape on their headlights while riding abroad. I have to admit I never had. The lights on the new glee are very bright and this year I should really consider it.
 :shrug:

Offline saunders

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 19:06:54 »
I have asked the dealership to lower the lights for me at my next service, if they are still too high I will lower them myself! [its only 1 knob per light up/down and 1 left/right].

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 20:42:36 »
Has anyone actually put tape on their headlights while riding abroad. I have to admit I never had. The lights on the new glee are very bright and this year I should really consider it.
 :shrug:

Yes, me after the mechanic at the dealership wouldn't do it at the first 600 service, he just told me to use electrician's tape. I did, but drove once at night and did get flashed a few times by oncoming drivers. Not good!

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 23:51:38 »
If anyone who has put tape over the Glee lights could put up a picture of exactly where they taped, that would be muchos helpful! :)

Offline mjc506

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 08:43:21 »
Look straight at your headlights, and you'll see a kind of 'target' (a circle with a crosshair) in the middle of the lens, straight in front of the bulbs. You want to mask off the bottom left (for UK bikes) of this, a la:

disclaimer: not to scale, bad photoshop lalalala

electrical tape works fine, but can be a bit of a pain to clean off after. You want to roughly match the shape of your mask to the shape of the reflective section you're blocking.

It'll be worth checking against a wall that your beam is now flat :)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 09:39:46 »
Thanks fellas! I'll make sure to have a bit of a wall light pattern spotting and light taping session before my trip into Europe.

Offline saunders

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 10:00:33 »
Whilst I was back in the UK ans just picked up my 'Glee', during the day people were flashing me [I thought it was because I had my lights on during the day (like the Volvo drivers)  :haha: ], but know I know it was because the lights were set to high.

To all new Glee owners [and others] - check your light settings, its bad enough car and truck drivers do not like us bikers, lets not give them more reasons.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 21:57:36 »
Quote from: "saunders"
Whilst I was back in the UK ans just picked up my 'Glee', during the day people were flashing me [I thought it was because I had my lights on during the day (like the Volvo drivers)  :haha: ], but know I know it was because the lights were set to high.

To all new Glee owners [and others] - check your light settings, its bad enough car and truck drivers do not like us bikers, lets not give them more reasons.

Just a re-inforcement :of Saunders" comments:

On my first ride out at twilight a black BMW estate pulled out from a side turning across my path (as they do), He then put his fog lights on. My pillion suggested that my lights were too high with him on the back. A mile or so down the road he let me past (I waived my thanks) and then he got right up behind me (at speed), so I pulled over to let him pass. He boxed be in and gave me a load of abuse telling me to dip my lights, which of course were already dipped.

I would have been very grateful to have been politely told that my lamps were set too high......

This took the edge off what had been a great bimble.

So before I go out again I will need to make some adjustments, Hello ho.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator