Author Topic: V-Strom Rescue App  (Read 9008 times)

Offline nikolas

V-Strom Rescue App
« on: February 21, 2013, 02:04:20 »
hi blokes,

I m not sure if this is the correct section to post this up, but for Android owners 2.2 onwards I have an app through Google Play calles V-Strom Rescue En (En stands for English)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... omrescueen

it is short of a "survival" guide app for DL650 and DL1000 owners, and also features fuel consumption log :)

Offline Sven

Re: V-Strom Rescue App
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:02:31 »
That looks really useful, mate.  :thumb:
But I have an iPhone, don't suppose you'll be doing it for apple devices?

Offline mjc506

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:17:02 »
Looks good :)

Why do you need so many permissions though? I can understand internet access, but why the need for location and phone status/ID?
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

ProfG

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:22:12 »
Quote from: "mjc506"

Why do you need so many permissions though? I can understand internet access, but why the need for location and phone status/ID?

Why do you think? Most of these 'free' apps 'steal' your data for spamming, marketing or other nefarious purposes. Not that I am saying this one does but loads of free apps do. Where do you think all these spam texts and calls for PPI, loans and other so called offers come from?

Offline mjc506

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:29:19 »
I'm hoping this one is just a case of the developer leaving all the permissions set to default (the android sdk defaults to asking for those permissions)
Projects:

Offline shedchief

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:33:35 »
Excellent app!
Thank you.
:D
Keith

Offline nikolas

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 12:06:17 »
Looks good :)

Quote from: "ProfG"
Why do you think? Most of these 'free' apps 'steal' your data for spamming, marketing or other nefarious purposes. Not that I am saying this one does but loads of free apps do. Where do you think all these spam texts and calls for PPI, loans and other so called offers come from?

I'm hoping this one is just a case of the developer leaving all the permissions set to default (the android sdk defaults to asking for those permissions)

thank you for your response blokes..just to clear some things..
I can understand second thoughts about permissions..they were reduced from initially available to the basic ones, but perhaps I may have missed one or two..so I will review them again to make sure..

just for the location, I have included as necessary permission, because I was thinking of other features that app could include and perhaps location could be usefull..so I wanted it ot be included and not to be a "surprise" to a future release..

all of the data you enter in the app (fuel consumption, service mileage) is held on your phone..I have no access over it, and I don't intend to do so :)

about the app itself, it started as a personal challenge, because I had made sth more complex on my MSc thesis, and I was thinking how could this experience be usefull for sth that I everyday use..and I ended up with this app..also due to currently being unemployed, I regarded to be an asset, to have proven work published somewhere..and google play was a good way, since user feedback is also a way to see if someone's work is appreciated or not :)

about being free, I guess hardly someone would spend I.e. even 1GBP for an app that he might not be sure that it was necessary or not..so I thought to release it for free and I was thinking to add just a paypal button for a donation just to cover at least the fees to google for publishing..however, I think this is not allowed..so the other alternative way is to just launch an identical app some time in the future at a minimum cost, just in case someone would like to donate

about ios version, Apple's fees for developers are way greater than Google's, so providing an app through App Store, probably won't be done for now..I m working though on making an iOS version to be downloaded and installed directly on device but I guess this will require jailbreaked device?

I m open to any feedback, regarding things you like, things you don't like and whatever you would think it would make it even better :)

ProfG

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 12:20:50 »
The App is actually quite good. Maybe you could make one with location or route finder and charge for that. You could call this one the 'Lite' version  :thumb:

Offline mjc506

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 13:13:29 »
In that case, bravo :) I've downloaded it for the handy list of FI errors alone, and the servicing tab is a nice touch.

Like ProfG mentioned, perhaps a 'find/call your nearest dealer' option in a future paid app would be something to consider :)

All in all: excellent app, well done :)
Projects:

Offline nikolas

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 14:34:59 »
one thing that I m considering currently, is to include choice between km and miles, as in many countries like in UK there is difference in measurement units..

Offline Ubique

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:31:03 »
Sounds good but when the apple one out :)

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 18:05:43 »
Sounds good nikolas, thank you, but I have no Android or Apple, my phone based on Antikythera device, do you have extra cogs for it? :grin:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 18:11:23 »
Just downloaded , very handy  :thumb:

ProfG

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 18:14:02 »
It already has an update lol

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 21:26:19 »
Quote from: "nikolas"
one thing that I m considering currently, is to include choice between km and miles, as in many countries like in UK there is difference in measurement units..

Miles would be useful as save me having to work it out...! :)

Useful app, thanks!

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 10:32:58 »
Very good :thumb:

Thanks for posting, this app is now there alongside mapdroyd as part of my scheme to one day only have to carry one electronic box and no bits of paper (think it'll be a while before that happens though).

Andy

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 10:42:56 »
Sigh...okay, I'm going to have to get an android phone, aren't I? Bloody progress!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline nikolas

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 23:46:40 »
regarding the update, just to mention that there was on since november that it was last updated, and at the same time as mentioning it over here, I was also rebuilding the core.. :)

now I m working on making it possible to choose between miles / gallons or km / litres, but it will need some time, because some things seem to be trickier than initiallly estimated.. :)

Offline nikolas

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 17:14:41 »
Quote from: "UK_Vstrom650"
Quote from: "nikolas"

Miles would be useful as save me having to work it out...! :)

useful app, thanks!

you should be getting an update soon..
in this update you can use the menu button in order to enter settings tab and choose between kilometers / litres and miles / gallons

if anything weird comes up, let me know.. :)

Offline Jeff999

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 17:29:40 »
Will it be available for iOS phones at any point? :)