Author Topic: 4K Service  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: 4K Service
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 15:52:57 »
It's bollox isn't it, £160 for an oil change.. I'll be taking mine to an independent for a much cheaper oil change.. One I trust more than the local Suzi dealer workshop anyway.

True story: I had a GSX650F before my Glee, I took it in to have the rectifier replaced on a recall.. It had been in the workshop 5 minutes and the mechanic came out to ask me if I knew where the rectifier was because he couldn't find it.. It wasn't even hidden by any bodywork..

And they want me to trust them to work on my new bike?

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 09:47:46 »
Jacko  ...I couldn't agree with you more ..I have a Suzuki & a yamaha and I "NEVER" take them to a main dealer ...find a good reliable small local shop with a good mechanic & as long as they stamp your service book its fine . sod the big dealers .you cannot trust them ...they try and frighten you into going there ..I once had a Honda dealer tell me in front of a full shop that my warranty would be void if I didn't have it serviced there ..I said I've been on to Honda uk & they told me the eu law is as long as you use genuine Honda parts & the person know what he's doing there is no problem with your warranty ....he went bright red and walked away ...h-a h-a ... if folks stopped going to main dealers and paying these "stupid" service costs  they would soon drop there prices ...

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 17:03:50 »
I agree with what you blokes have said, I am seriously thinking of buying a stamp from fleabay and stamping the service book myself, keeping all the receipts and keeping all the work documented with pictures. (Bit over the top I know). I have serviced all my bikes myself, buying genuine parts from suppliers and keeping a record of it all. I don't plan on selling the bike anytime soon so not worried about the dealer stamps for resale. The Suzuki stealer near me charge £60.00 an hour, I just can't bring myself to part with my hard earned for that.  :GRR:

Offline frez

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 17:48:40 »
That will most likely be £60 plus vat, so £72 an hour.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Jacko

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 08:23:43 »
Can anyone confirm EU law on this.. Does the service have to be done by a 'qualified mechanic', or a 'competent person' for the warranty to remain valid? I ask because I'm not a qualified mechanic but my years of self service (ahem) serve to make me a competent person I would have thought..

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 08:39:29 »
http://ccr.Suzuki.co.uk/faq.php#FAQ_WARRANTY

does this help

doesn't even mention competancy..  the warranty is valid as long as the servicing did not cause the problem

Offline frez

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 08:43:55 »
I always understood you had to use genuine Suzuki filters and have a proper mechanic do the work, but I think this may have changed over time and information on their web site suggests that you don't have to use genuine Suzuki parts anymore. I would email Suzuki to get it from the horses mouth as to whether they will still honour their warranty with self-servicing. This is what I found on their web site:

What are the Terms and Conditions of the new on road motorcycle warranty?

The ‘Terms and Conditions’ are issued with the motorcycle in the Service Booklet, the warranty provided is currently 2 years unlimited mileage

Is the manufacturer's warranty transferable to a new owner?

Yes, the product carries the warranty, not the owner

I have an imported motorcycle from the EU, what's the warranty period?

All European Union motorcycles carry the full 2 years

How do I purchase an extended warranty for my motorcycle?

Please contact your local Authorised Suzuki Dealer

Will Suzuki honour my warranty if my motorcycle is serviced by a non Suzuki Dealer?

Yes, so long as any defects are not the result of any service related issues

If a non Suzuki Dealer services my motorcycle, do they have to use genuine Suzuki parts?

No

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 08:53:54 »
that's the link I posted Frez  lol

Just how much harm can any idividual do to a bike by inspecting it and changing the oil. I suspect proof of actually doing the service is the cusp of the matter.  

Do what Skinny suggested  keep invoices for parts take date stamped pictures of the oil pouring out,,,

After all what bproof does a dealer have that he actually changed the oil ?? because he said so and stamped your book...   that's OK then , cos we all trust dealers don't we   :grin:

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 09:48:51 »
I think you,ll find you have to use genuine Suzuki parts ...but that's all , you don't need to be a mechanic .

Offline frez

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 09:56:49 »
See the link above, genuine parts do not seem to be a requirement anymore.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 09:57:27 »
This is all enlightening info. Not sure I'd want to risk a non-genuine oil filter though, they could argue the filter was the cause of oil starvation that may have been nothing to do with the filter..

So, I can do it myself, document the main things, keep receipts etc. and the warranty will be fine.. Trouble then is  the resale value, trying to trade a 3 year old Glee in on 25,000 miles with only the 600 mile stamp in the book might prove tricky..

Thanks blokes..

Offline Jacko

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 10:01:39 »
It mentions servicing by a non-Suzuki dealer but doesn't suggest you can do it yourself.. Hmmm..

Offline Sven

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 10:35:51 »
I seem to remember some years ago when a trial case went through the courts (for a car warranty) that the parts had to be equal or superior to the OEM parts. How do you prove that, for example, a K&N oil filter is as good or better than a Suzuki one. The easiest way is to just use a Suzuki oil filter, they don't cost much more than a decent non-original one. :shrug:
Oil is much easier, so long as it is the same rating as what Suzuki recommend, its OK.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 12:18:07 »
There is a Suzuki Oil filter wrapped in plastic on the shelf in my garage. It did 3800 miles before ending up there. Any issues with the bike and I'd not be surprised if some force of gravity resulted in it leaving the shelf for an unknown destination such as the bike for example  :shy:

With Warranty claims, play nice until they make a mistake then go for the throat. I've never known a dealer who wanted to talk to a lawyer about where he'd put property that wasn't his (the bits that failed). They don't like us quality engineers sending stuff off for independent analysis either. Their usual line is to play on the fact that you want it sorted ASAP.

Andy

Offline Jacko

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 12:25:49 »
...all accidental, of course.. :)

I've emailed Suzuki asking if I can do the servicing myself and still retain the warranty under the conditions laid out for non-Suzuki dealers..

I'm happy to take the bike in for it's 16,000* valve clearance, if only to get the stamp to reassure a potential second owner.. But I'll do the 4,000, 8,000 and 12,000 myself.. Thereb'y saving the money to cover cost of the 16,000 miler..

*I service my Suzukis in  4,000 mile intervals, it's easier to remember..

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 16:15:26 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
This is all enlightening info. Not sure I'd want to risk a non-genuine oil filter though, they could argue the filter was the cause of oil starvation that may have been nothing to do with the filter..

So, I can do it myself, document the main things, keep receipts etc. and the warranty will be fine.. Trouble then is  the resale value, trying to trade a 3 year old Glee in on 25,000 miles with only the 600 mile stamp in the book might prove tricky..

Thanks blokes..

I don't intend selling my bike anytime soon, how much would I actually get for a 3/5 year old bike with 25000 miles. I would be better off selling it private, I got more for my BM selling private with all my own documentaion than a trade in.  :shrug:
I like you will probably let them do the 14500 service.  :grin:

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 17:20:13 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
...all accidental, of course.. :)

I've emailed Suzuki asking if I can do the servicing myself and still retain the warranty under the conditions laid out for non-Suzuki dealers..

I'm happy to take the bike in for it's 16,000* valve clearance, if only to get the stamp to reassure a potential second owner.. But I'll do the 4,000, 8,000 and 12,000 myself.. Thereb'y saving the money to cover cost of the 16,000 miler..

*I service my Suzukis in  4,000 mile intervals, it's easier to remember..

Hmm I would be interested to hear what they say, please keep us updated with that
Cheers
Josh
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Jacko

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 19:33:22 »
Will do, nothing yet..

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 22:14:51 »
I was quite happy paying £105 for what Cupar did at 4k. Even at full labour it's around £180 for 3 hours work.

They go well beyond the wipe down with an oily rag that the book says - oil and filter, strip & grease brakes, inspect front & rear suspension etc, etc, etc. They'll even check your scottoiler if you have one fitted....

Replacing the plugs is the only addition I can see from their 4k to the Suzuki 7.5k.

Alan said that they were going to start doing book servicing for those on a tighter budget as well.

I could quite easily do all of the service stuff myself but I just can't be arsed these days.  :old:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 22:37:40 »
Fair comment, but have the dealers ever come back and said by the way we had to tighten the exhaust bolts, adjust this and tighten that, apart from the oil change you get more of a check with an MOT (£25) than the 4k service, our local dealer wouldn't even attempt to clean it.  ###
Will do it myself.