Author Topic: Help - bike won't start  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Orinoco

Help - bike won't start
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:33:02 »
Help please folks...

This has got me very confused

Bike was working fine, just fitted heated grips and changed the oil, ran bike following this to check all OK

Bike lights come on, but 'chck' appeared on the dash, side stand up, but clutch cannot be pulled in and bike will not start - assume because of 'chck' on dash.

Turn ignition off, try again, bike now has no 'chck' on dash, but cannot pull clutch in to start bike.

I have checked the side stand switch (visual check) and appears to be working.

Any ideas what next  :shrug:

oh yes... engine cut off in 'on' position

Help  :)
Somewhere in Somerset

Offline Sven

Re: Help - bike won't start
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:03:07 »
Check the wires to the clutch lever switch. They are easily pulled off especially if you've just fitted heated grips.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:52:17 »
Quote from: "Sven"
Check the wires to the clutch lever switch. They are easily pulled off especially if you've just fitted heated grips.

+1 You may find the clutch switch is off and fallen into the lever mech, preventing you pulling it.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:24:15 »
The clutch switch will not cause a CHEC. The side stand switch and kill switch are the main culprits there. A CHEC is also displayed if the signal wire from the ECM is not delivering full voltage to the instrument panel.

An inability to pull in the clutch lever is major. Take the left side apart and put it back together. If the lever can't be pulled back, the clutch switch can't be closed and the bike won't start, not to mention you need to be able to work the clutch.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Strommer

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:55:02 »
How did you wire the grips?

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Orinoco

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 17:01:05 »
Right, will try these suggestions, thanks.

The grips are Hein Gericke and wired direct to battery.

Typical on the sunniest, loveliest day we've had in months!
Somewhere in Somerset

Offline Orinoco

Re: Help - bike won't start (Solved)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 17:34:34 »
OK, I confess, I'm a knob and don't deserve my luverly bike... :shy:

In fitting the heated grips I'd tried to hide as best I could from view the wiring, this meant that the exit route of the wiring, shrouded in thick rubber was directly behind the clutch lever, blocking it from being pulled back.  I guess the 'CHEC' was due to me having inadvertently put the kill switch on..  

Thank you all for the things to check  :ty:
Somewhere in Somerset

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 17:43:45 »
I'd have made something else up and not told the truth  lol  lol

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 18:01:35 »
My dad called out the AA once for the Virago 250 he had when it wouldn't start the AA bloke had a look went to go get tool and I had a nose- poked the kill switch and hit the starter- started!  :neen:  I was 12.

I do remember not being able to start my YBR once, tried the kick start for about 5 mins before I noticed the kill switch was on.  :shy:

Ride Coordinator

Offline greywolf

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 18:49:00 »
I was playing on a BMW R90S by weaving on the road when the engine died. A check of the wiring showed no power. I hot wired the bike to continue on. As I was riding, I eventually saw the kill switch was in the wrong position. The weaving action cause the kill switch to hit the tank bag.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 23:10:53 »
My favourite Killswitch occasion was when, at the end of a trackday, a bloke was bumping the nuts off his old CBR for about 10 minutes around the paddock, I was packing stuff away but others were helping so I just continued to load my bike for the ride home.. It wasn't even firing and my first though was Killswitch but a good number of riders had been over to help so I just assumed at least one of them would have checked.. After I'd finished packing I mucked in to help push, but thought I'd have a sneaky check of the switch myself as now I was about to throw my own sweat at this, yep, it was off.. I flicked it on and thumbed the starter, fired up.. The bloke was so embarrassed he just rode off leaving the rest of us laughing.. 10 minutes he'd been pushing that around, still makes me giggle now.

Offline Brass

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 14:48:30 »
On leaving the ferry at Santander my mate big fat John couldn't start his Tiger (again) having raced over to me shouting through his visor I happened to look over to see two other bikers playing with the switches so over I went for a look. With everyone leaving the ferry I suggested to my stressed out big fat mate that he push me off so we could look at it on the dock, this he did.... right round to the offices.... and it was about 90 degrees in the shade....and I had accidentally put my heel on t rear brake feathering it. I then suggested he return to the ferry with me in case my vee didn't start, (as if) this he did and sure enough mine started, now call me thick but it never entered my head to give him a lift and so by the time he got back to his bike he was wringing wet with sweat, but by then me being a hero had managed to start it. Yep...kill switch. Well that's what mates are for, innit!. :auto-dirtbike:  :fix:
I'm not much good with computers....... but I can open a mouse with a file.