Author Topic: Newbie/numpty chain question!  (Read 1633 times)

Offline loggamatt

Newbie/numpty chain question!
« on: January 26, 2013, 17:05:13 »
How far would you fellas ride with a fairly badly rusted chain? I think it's just very bad surface rust, but some of the links are quite stiff.

I've got it booked into a garage for the end of next week to have them fit a Scottoiler and give my chain a proper clean (I know I could clean it myself, but in the state it's in I'd rather they do it properly)... but wondering how nervous I should be about using the bike for a short (4-5 miles) commute through Central London (so, not getting much above 40mph) for my night shift tonight?

I'm still in the stage of bike ownership of remaining paranoid about such things until told otherwise/mocked for being a worrying big jessie!

Offline frez

Re: Newbie/numpty chain question!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 17:23:44 »
As long as all the links move and havn't siezed with the rust I'm sure it will be fine.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 17:49:34 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
some of the links are quite stiff.
That means replace the chain ASAP. The sealed in lubrication has failed and accelerated wear between pin and bushing is occurring. The next step in the process is a broken chain which can put a hole in the engine case.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 17:57:19 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
Quote from: "loggamatt"
some of the links are quite stiff.
That means replace the chain ASAP. The sealed in lubrication has failed and accelerated wear between pin and bushing is occurring. The next step in the process is a broken chain which can put a hole in the engine case.

Oh dear, this is very bad/expensive news! I think I'll use it for short/slow journeys in the meantime, then I guess when I take it in to get the Scottoiler fitted next week they'll tell me if the chain can't be salvaged...

Amazing how quickly a chain can die... Went from being fine to looking awful in just a few weeks of riding on salted roads.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 18:40:27 »
Just rode a few loops around the underground carpark in my building and the chain loosened up loads... can't feel any stiff links now, so I think this may be a paranoia false alarm!  :shy:

It is alarmingly rusty looking though... will still definitely get it cleaned properly and a Scottoiler fitted next week!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 19:03:58 »
Rust grows and yours has grown past the O-rings. Replace the chain. Sure, the chance of catastrophic damage is small, but but are your finances so bad it's worth taking a chance?
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 19:13:03 »
My finances are pretty bad!  :grin:

Well, I'll see what the mechanic says when I take it in... I imagine he will be keen to sell me a new chain anyway, so this may end up being what will happen.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 19:26:29 »
According to your profile on the left of your posts your mileage is only 1,750. If this is correct or not too many more than this and you say that the tight links have loosened off, then I'd suggest giving the chain a thorough lubing with a good quality chain grease and then riding the bike for a few miles and then getting it checked by a competent dealer or someone you trust. They can check for tight links, tight spots in the chain adjustment and how worn the chain is along with the sprockets and see what they recommend you do. Chains need to be kept an eye on especially if the bike is used during bad weather and need regular lubrication and keeping in correct adjustment. Looked after properly you should get at least 15,000 miles from a chain and sprocket set. Fitting an oiler should increase this by quite a bit but you still need to keep an eye on it and make sure the oiler is not allowed to run empty.

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 19:30:01 »
Why not fit the scottoiler yourself, simple to fit, they even have the fitting instructions and pictures on their web site, surely that will save you a few bob. Run it on full tilt for a little then set to 1 drop every 45secs-1min,  :fix:

Offline Tommy3Tanks

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 19:38:29 »
I learnt this lesson on my first full size bike. Keep a close eye on the chain. Once the rust starts the chain can be ruined very quickly if you ride in all weathers. I got my glee in october and have not rode in the really bad weather as I am a bit of a wuss but still in plenty of bad weather and it still looks like it did the day it came out of the showroom. quick wipe after every ride in bad weather, then lube and finally protect with acf-50.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 19:39:17 »
Yeah, will be really gutted if I have to replace a chain after 2000 miles! If I do it'll be my own silly fault for not checking it regularly enough during the winter... but I remain hopeful that it's just surface rust and that a proper clean will bring it back to life.

You'd think they'd make chains out of something rust proof really... can you get rust proof chains?

I'm so new to all this and bad at DIY mechanical stuff that I think I want to pay for the peace of mind of having an expert fit the Scottoiler. Once I see one on the bike and how it all works, I may have a go at fitting one myself if I ever get another bike though!

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 19:52:15 »
You can fit the scottoiler yourself believe me..... :crazy: ......I fitted mine and I know feckall  lolit doesn't take an expert to fit. Have a look on their website it may help

Offline Sven

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 19:56:12 »
Quote from: "hookie"
According to your profile on the left of your posts your mileage is only 1,750. If this is correct or not too many more than this and you say that the tight links have loosened off, then I'd suggest giving the chain a thorough lubing with a good quality chain grease and then riding the bike for a few miles and then getting it checked by a competent dealer or someone you trust.

Have to agree with Hookie on this. If you've destroyed a chain in 2000 Miles then you must have been abusing it really bad. I've never managed less than 10,000 miles from a chain even when I rode through winters!
Clean it, lube it & then get it checked for your peace of mind.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 19:57:28 »
Quote from: "skinny5216"
You can fit the scottoiler yourself believe me..... :crazy: ......I fitted mine and I know feckall  lolit doesn't take an expert to fit. Have a look on their website it may help

I just read the first bit of the instructions - "Locate the vacuum - there is a vacuum pipe running to a MAP sensor. Cut into this pipe and insert the T- Piece from the Scottoiler kit. Then press the Damper Elbow, part number 4, onto the third leg of the tee." - then gave up :)  Never underestimate my fear of DIY mechanical stuff!!  :grin:

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 20:01:07 »
Thanks Sven! I'm hoping that I've just over-reacted :)  But responses vary so far from 'replace immediately' to 'it'll be alright after a clean', so will definitely get it checked over by a mechanic either way... then I'll know for next time. All part of the learning process!

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 20:14:45 »
I thought that was the easy bit   lol never mind, once you have seen it done and fitted you will know for next time. Good luck  :thumb:

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 20:20:56 »
I think what I probably will do at some point in the next few months is have a go at fitting a centre stand myself... will make chain maintenance a lot easier and the fitting of them looks like a job I would be able to manage...... probably.......  :shy:

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 20:25:08 »
Even I managed to fit a centre stand Matt, so you should be OK.
 :)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline greywolf

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 20:56:52 »
I'll say this again. The chain is no longer a chain. It is toast. Once links start to kink, it is beyond saving. Rust has grown past the O-ring (X-ring) into the pin to bushing interface. The rust will keep growing, the interface is no longer smooth and the sealed in lube no longer viable. The rust pocked steel under the seal allows water past the seal. The chain bearing surfaces are beginning to be rust on rust and getting worse. Any added lube won't penetrate well or last long and the surfaces are wearing on each other with every revolution. Continuing to run the chain increases the chances of breaking the chain with every mile traveled. A broken chain means a broken engine case much of the time as the chain gets wadded up between the sprocket and engine case. That's a lot more money than a new chain. Continuing to use the chain is a gamble and the odds get worse with each mile.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 22:31:47 »
Thanks Greywolf! I think I may have caused more alarm than was really warranted in my initial post though... I think it's just that some of the links were gummed up by old lube, road salt and not having been used for a few weeks... once I warmed it up with a ride around the carpark a few times, everything started moving far more freely. Certainly no kinks in the chain that I could see anyway.

I'm hopeful that it's just surface rust and the O-rings are OK... but I definitely take your point that it's better to be safe than sorry about such things, so I will ask the mechanic to give my chain a good look over when he fits the Scottoiler. If he thinks it looks in acceptable condition I will probably ride on with it, but if he thinks a new chain is needed then I will bite the bullet.

Have learnt my lesson though... will get a centre stand soon and pay more attention to the chain generally! I looked after my chain better on my Yamaha XJ6, partly because I had a centre stand and partly because I trusted the solid block lubricator I got for the Strom more than it appears I should have!

I think my new regime will be Scottoiler for lubing, then a clean with proper chain cleaner and a wipe with ACF-50 every 500 miles in summer and every week in winter... sound about right?