Author Topic: Heidenau K60 Scout M+S Winter Tyre?  (Read 33889 times)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Heidenau K60 Scout M+S Winter Tyre?
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 17:03:56 »
If you ride all year and want the bike sure footed in most weather they are great.

If you want sporty handling, get the Anakees 3's

Pushing the bike into corners at over 80mph, the front feels vague and distant., the rear will spin up if you lean it in a corner and pin the throttle. I've got used to the odd feel and will be fitting my 3rd rear and 2nd front in a few weeks.

The front does make a hell of a noise and until about half worn does vibrate like buggery at under 25mph.

They are not tyres for everyone. Milz on here has been fancying them since I got mine fitted, but he's a fast sporty rider and would hate them. I like to ride rough roads and lanes with cow/sheep/horse poo everywhere. I also have the bike as my only transport and need it to get to work. so the best tyres in cold conditions are a necessity.

Anakee 2's lasted around 9-11k for the rear for me (had 3 or 4 rears) 3's should be that little bit better.
k60's are getting around 6.5 for the first rear and this one looks more like 7.5-8

I used to get right over the edge of the tread on the Anakee 2's no chicken strips at all and marks on the sidewall, the Heidenau's have 3/4 of an inch of chicken strips but I've been grinding the hero blobs off more. One is now missing as I chucked the bike over with enough force to sheer the treads. so they have quite a different profile the anakee's.  :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline PhotoRex

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 19:40:24 »
Cheers Mr. Diver.

I do like the idea of the k60s as the wee is my all year form of transport. My current conti road 2's feel really vague at speed anyway, I dropped the forks a little but there is just a feeling of instability with them that I've got used to.  A lot of my traveling is early morning in the cold so tyres that heat up quickly would be good. I do t tend to rush so prob wouldn't need the grip of the anakee,

Something to think about!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 21:55:27 »
Anakee 2 and 3 are good in the cold too, they need practically no warm up time and give very good wet weather grip. On Anakee 2 tyres I've ridden in the worst rain and wind and right through the 2010 winter bar 6 days when I was snowed in and couldn't get up the hill I live at the bottom of. If you're wanting to consider between the K60 and the Anakee 3 it's more a question of "knobbly" vs "road" as both will be fine for commuting. Personally, for all weather commuting the Anakee is the better choice. If you also want to go do lanes, unpaved roads and ride in snow then the K60 is the right one. Diver had Anakee 2 before so he might agree with my reasoning.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 22:41:32 »
Exactly what Juv said then.

I've been contemplating going to a more road biased tyre as the Anakee 2 is discontinued and will be hard to get a replacement rear when the times comes and the front is still good.

Anakee 3 seem the obvious choice, but with all the crap on the roads round here, including all the gravel and the temptation to venture down the lanes the K60's are the tyre I'm sticking with. Even though a longer life tyre would be ideal or my commuting.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 23:08:07 »
Is the Anakee 2 discontinued officially? They are still for sale and also shown on the Michelin web site.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2014, 15:25:13 »
When the s10's tyres need changing ill be putting k60's on her...

Mr_Diver, have you tried tourances (original) I find them very good have caught pp's toes a few times :)
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2014, 17:48:19 »
yes, on a 650 Transalp and a 1200gs, didn't like them, didn't like the GS but I did like the Transalp.  :neen:

They were a bit, urm hard, and didn't give much feedback. The anakee's were far of a more fun tyre with a little offroad ability, the tourance was the other way round.

I used to ride over the edge of the tread of the Anakee 2's and the mrs feet have hit deck a few times, the old belly pan used to have clunks taken out of it when I was going for it.

I have said it before-

if you want fun- get Anakee's 2 or 3
If you want utilitarian, offroad capable tyres get K60's

with the weight and torque of the S10 expect 4-5k miles per rear.  8-10k miles with anakee's- Are you going to take the S10 offroad????
Seriously get the Anakee's Josh! the K60's are something you have to live with not love.
I loved the Anakee 2's I would love the 3's I'm sure but the K60's are something I choose for the crap roads round here.
I'm still to order my next set of tyres, one day the K60 wins are it's a tyre that suits where and when I ride, then the next day I want to have fun and I'm going to order the Anakee's because they lasted better and were great for faster riding. I'm still not sure what I'll get.

Ride Coordinator

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2014, 07:58:59 »
with the weight and torque of the S10 expect 4-5k miles per rear. 8-10k miles with anakee's- Are you going to take the S10 offroad????

Maybe yes is not the correct answer, I'm going to try :) she is Going to be set up properly this time, rather than set up for road touring :)
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2014, 19:08:52 »
Take someone else's off road and keep yours clean  lol

http://www.yamaha-tenere-experience.co.uk/#
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline PhotoRex

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2014, 21:34:03 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Anakee 2 and 3 are good in the cold too, they need practically no warm up time and give very good wet weather grip. On Anakee 2 tyres I've ridden in the worst rain and wind and right through the 2010 winter bar 6 days when I was snowed in and couldn't get up the hill I live at the bottom of. If you're wanting to consider between the K60 and the Anakee 3 it's more a question of "knobbly" vs "road" as both will be fine for commuting. Personally, for all weather commuting the Anakee is the better choice. If you also want to go do lanes, unpaved roads and ride in snow then the K60 is the right one. Diver had Anakee 2 before so he might agree with my reasoning.

That's the thing that's making it a hard choice, we have some fantastic lanes around here and I would love to take the storm off road, but we're also heading off on a 10 day tour upto Scotland and possibly a week in France and will be doing some motorway running for these where the anakees would prob be better.

Thanks for the feedback on the two tyres it's really useful.  I think I'm leaning to the the K60 scouts.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 22:02:07 »
After the tour in Scotland and the week in France you can come back and I'll tell you "I told you so"  :grin:

ps. Sounds like you should throw a set of Anakee 2 on there, a good in between, they are still available.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2014, 13:20:02 »
here's a little more info on the lifespan of the tyres.

front has done around 15k miles
this rear has done around 8.5k miles
Pictured with the new rubber waiting to be fitted

Front comparison:

Rear comparison:

The Front still had a fair bit of tread depth left considering the current mileage, but with the wear pattern it was getting a little vague at motorway speeds.  
The rear had a few hundred miles left, but planed a run of around 200 miles with the mrs pillion and on ruff lanes in West Wales I didn't fancy a puncture and swapped it.

And boy had I forgot how loud the hum was from the front when new.

Another set on and still happy with them

Ride Coordinator

Offline WeeStromer

• Bike: DL650 AL2 GLEE, CG125 ES5
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2014, 16:24:02 »
I can't wait to fit a pair of these, although I still need to buy the front tyre.

Offline PhotoRex

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 20:38:30 »
Just ordered mine, was hoping for a bit more time out of the road attacks but something in the road took a small chunk out and now I have the wires sticking out of the rear tyre!

Offline PhotoRex

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2014, 22:06:30 »

Having a close look at the damage, still waiting for the new tyres to arrive :-(

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2014, 22:12:36 »
That doesn't look good mate.
I've never waited more than 4 days for them to arrive from Germany.

Ride Coordinator

Offline PhotoRex

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2014, 22:17:07 »
I'm really surprised that the chord has come through like that, I wouldn't expect that with reasonable tread left. I ordered through tyre leader, front and back for £144 with delivery.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2014, 22:27:44 »
I paid £161 about a month ago. I've found they vary on popularity that week when I look on oponeo.co.uk
Does look like you picked up something that dug in and pulled out the cords.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Jacko

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2014, 07:40:36 »
Looks like you've ridden over a plough.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2014, 08:57:34 »
copied from the ST7 picture thread when Jacko asked about how the tyres preformed 2up (overloaded) for a 2k miles trip around Scotland coming from Swansea>>>>>>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

urm, the only time I wished I had full road tyres was when gunning it around the mountains there the knobbly front doesn't give the sort of confidence the Anakee 2's did.
But saying that going down the single track roads with loads of gravel they were excellent, sliding the back end in the gravel and after the initial front end twitch when hitting the gravel the tread bites and you carry on.  :auto-dirtbike:

but...
The Hiedenau's don't like fresh tarmac.
in a stretch of mountain road there was a long section of fresh tarmac (under a week old) and it seems the higher temps of the heidenau tyres means it picks up the tar much more and took 15 miles or so to feel planted again.  :shrug:

The front end howl does get a little tiring after 2-3 hours of motorway/dual carriageway with the quiet baffle in- I'll use the standard baffle next time - no howl then   :lala:

Ride Coordinator