Author Topic: All Year Biker  (Read 4090 times)

Offline loggamatt

Re: All Year Biker
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 19:18:36 »
great, thanks Reksut! I've ACF-50'd my bike myself, but probably done a shoddy job... so I'll wash it all off (and maybe reapply a bit more ACF-50 to some areas) myself in the spring, and make sure I get the proper All Year Biker treatment next autumn/winter.

Offline Ubique

All Year Biker
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 19:25:13 »
Had mine and Lou's Fazer done. Both bikes looking really smart now.

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 20:32:44 »
I think I will give it a go (ACF50). I have been using scottoiler FS365 for years, only because I like to wash the bike after a ride, plus it's cheaper and easier to re-apply.  :grin:

Offline stibbs

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 21:13:35 »
Hi all,
I've got the franchise for allyearbiker in Suffolk, Norfolk & Colchester area.

ACF50 is an anti corrosion treatment. Put simply its 1970's WD40 technology brought up to date. Originally it was developed for the military to use on aircraft carriers.

It's a multi stage process that removes all previous applications of  cleaning products and grease/oil etc and prepares the bike for the ACF50.
The bike is then blown dry to ensure the next stage, ACF50 pressure blown, is effective. The bike is then wiped over to ensure the ACF50 reaches everywhere then paintwork and screen waxed.

A by-product of the anti corrosion treatment is that your bike looks nearly new and gleaming at the end.

Allyearbiker is not a valeting service, it's an anti corrosion treatment.

DIY is fine but it has to be done correctly to ensure first class results (as with anything).

I'm willing to host an event in this neck of the woods if you can get At least two or three bikes together. All I need is a water supply and electric point.

For the first 3 applicants together (at a hosted event) I'll give a £5 discount each (£54.95).

Book through the allyearbiker website following the procedure outlined or get in touch in with me through there.

All the best, stibbs. (Steve)

Offline stibbs

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 21:18:56 »
By the way you can always book up to attend the adventure bike shop event in Sudbury on the 5th or 19th January. First come first served. If you quote you're a vstrom owners forum member when you book (with your user name) then you'll also get the discount! :thumb:

Offline stibbs

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 21:27:50 »
And another thing, sorry;

Corrosion is all year problem. It's more noticeable/prevalent in winter because of the excess moisture in the atmosphere.

You can have your bike treated at ANY time of year. It'll offer up to 12 months protection. Rinsing the bike off after use and a gentle wash with mild car/bike shampoo will not affect the treatment.

However harsh pressure washing or scrubbing of the engine or wheels etc will negate the effects of the treatment.

Corrosion is happening all the time. Winter exacerbates it. It's just as effective to your bike treated in the summer. This will avoid the rush too :thumb:

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 21:59:21 »
Hmmm... maybe I'll sign up for it in January then (can't afford it before Christmas!)... what's this adventure bike day thing of which you speak?

Offline stibbs

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 22:03:31 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
Hmmm... maybe I'll sign up for it in January then (can't afford it before Christmas!)... what's this adventure bike day thing of which you speak?

It's an event where you can book your bike in on the AYB website, turn up and browse the shop and get a coffee etc while your bike is treated. :thumb:

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 22:07:21 »
I like bike shops... I like my bike being protected from corrosion... I like coffee!!

Might check it out :)

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 15:48:04 »
I'm looking forwards to seeing if this can be done in one go as it were. Having taken Triumphs and Yamahas to Germany in January and other places where the salt is at Dead Sea levels in order to watch them turn into brown stains on the ferry deck on the way home, I hope I'm capable of keeping the Wee in semi-decent condition. My basic winter prep however needs a long weekend with dry weather, more for a new bike. Most of this is waiting. Stripping off bits like the bash plate that stop you getting in the nooks and crannies, cleaning and then waiting and waiting until it's dry, apply the anti-corrosive gunk of choice then waiting some more for that to dry and on and on. If you avoid the waiting with the right dryer etc. this has real advantages IMHO.

Then there are the electrically corroded annoyances. Having treated the Wee at the August Bank holiday I now have one of three water pump bolts with a light fur. I'm 99% sure this got blasted with ACF-50. It was rotting because I'd missed with the spray, there was residue of wet cleaner on there when the ACF-50 went on, or it's just in a bad position with regards to some electrical earth. If I was 100% sure about removing it, it would now be replaced with stainless, but as it is it got a huge blob of grease over it.

If you want to see cathodic corrosion, take a Triumph Bonneville to the Elefant rally. The main earth to engine/frame connection is near the centre stand mount, steaming with the engine running, pelted with salt and water, dank when parked up, electrically active and made out of a cheese like material that probably includes Higgs-Bosun particles at sometime in it's chemically reactive states between black and shiny and green and gooey.  ###

Andy

Offline stibbs

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 16:31:25 »
Quote from: "Andy M"
I'm looking forwards to seeing if this can be done in one go as it were. Having taken Triumphs and Yamahas to Germany in January and other places where the salt is at Dead Sea levels in order to watch them turn into brown stains on the ferry deck on the way home, I hope I'm capable of keeping the Wee in semi-decent condition. My basic winter prep however needs a long weekend with dry weather, more for a new bike. Most of this is waiting. Stripping off bits like the bash plate that stop you getting in the nooks and crannies, cleaning and then waiting and waiting until it's dry, apply the anti-corrosive gunk of choice then waiting some more for that to dry and on and on. If you avoid the waiting with the right dryer etc. this has real advantages IMHO.

Then there are the electrically corroded annoyances. Having treated the Wee at the August Bank holiday I now have one of three water pump bolts with a light fur. I'm 99% sure this got blasted with ACF-50. It was rotting because I'd missed with the spray, there was residue of wet cleaner on there when the ACF-50 went on, or it's just in a bad position with regards to some electrical earth. If I was 100% sure about removing it, it would now be replaced with stainless, but as it is it got a huge blob of grease over it.

If you want to see cathodic corrosion, take a Triumph Bonneville to the Elefant rally. The main earth to engine/frame connection is near the centre stand mount, steaming with the engine running, pelted with salt and water, dank when parked up, electrically active and made out of a cheese like material that probably includes Higgs-Bosun particles at sometime in it's chemically reactive states between black and Shiny and green and gooey.  ###

Andy

Hi Andy,
Forgive me but on reading your post I'm not quite sure what you're asking/saying?
In the first sentence you seem to ask can this treatment be done in one go? Yes it can, takes between 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
You then say you have to wait for a long dry weekend?
Well we don't. The initial removal of pre existing crud and treatments can be done in the rain. We have gazebos which the bike are in when dry and prepare and apply the ACF 50.
The bike is then waxed and ready to go.

The electrical connections and terminals etc will benefit from the application as the ACF 50 properties will ensure it continues to "creep" into all the little nooks and crannies for a couple of days after treatment.

Do we have to remove fairings/ bash plates etc? No. As the ACF 50 is applied at high pressure and will find its way around the hidden bits.

I hope this info is useful. I also hope I haven't misread your post mate. :thumb:

Offline SnowStrom

• Bike: None :(
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 15:42:00 »
Just got back from having my bike done by the lovely Mick Morris in Worcester (Mick.morris@allyearbiker.co.uk). Here's a pic of it with wheels masked and a shroud over it to stop the atomized ACF50 blowing away:

And the end result:

Annoyingly my crap phone didn't capture the stage where my bike was covered in white foam, was going to make some witty remark about the snow/riding past a marshmallow factory. Oh well.

I'll be going back in the spring/early summer to have it done again. Very pleased at the results, cost £60 for the clean and spray, and all the coffee I could hold.

Snow

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 16:14:58 »
Bloody hell! Mine didn't look that good when I first rode it away from the dealer!

Will be booking in to get mine done soon too... after seeing what the salt did to my chain recently, I'm now slightly terrified of what it's doing to the rest of the bike also!

Offline SnowStrom

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 16:19:05 »
Haha that's exactly what I said, that it was cleaner after the treatment than when it was wheeled out of the showroom for me :)

I'm paranoid about the elements, this is the best bike I've ever had, and I love it - and want to make sure it lasts as long as possible. I'm pretty skint at the moment (thanks, soon-to-be-ex-husband) but I think £60 is money well spent for the amount of time and effort Mick put into making it shiny :)

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 18:01:51 »
That looks mint Snowstrom  :thumb: , its way to clean . After ST6 it'll look like its been in a swamp for a month  :grin: ..
Wheres he based in Worcester ?

Offline SnowStrom

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 18:08:40 »
Haha indeed, I think I'll wait til after ST6 before I get it done again :D

He's near Sinton Green/Grimsley.

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 18:14:08 »
Quote from: "SnowStrom"
Haha indeed, I think I'll wait til after ST6 before I get it done again :D

He's near Sinton Green/Grimsley.

Think you meant Grimley but I know where you mean  :thumb:

Offline SnowStrom

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 18:33:20 »
Haha, I was concentrating so hard on not typing 'Grimsby' I didn't notice the sneaky 's' :)

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 21:29:40 »
Sorry if I have missed it but.... How much was the clean and treatment?
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline SnowStrom

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 21:46:11 »
£60 for the whole lot including tea/coffee :)

Took about 2, 2.5 hours, but we did chat quite a bit. Felt a bit guilty standing around drinking coffee while someone else scrubbed my bike... yes, I do know how dumb that is as I was paying for him to do it :D

EDIT: If you can get a few bikes together to go, you can often get a group discount, but I went on my own for I am Billy No-Mates :)