Author Topic: Can someone tell me how to....  (Read 898 times)

Offline stevee_p

Can someone tell me how to....
« on: October 03, 2012, 15:13:59 »
Carry out general servicing (oil and air filters) when I do not own a paddock stand or a centre stand?

What issues would I have by doing the oil on the side stand?

Likewise, adjusting the chain etc - how can this be achieved whilst not being able to have the back wheel off the ground?
2002 K2 DL1000
Leo Vince, Givi, Corbin, Power Commander
http://www.pbase.com/stevee_p

Offline Sharpy

Re: Can someone tell me how to....
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 15:16:20 »
Adjusting the chain is not an issue, most service manuals tell you to do it on the side stand anyway, so I would not worry.

The only issues I see are,

Oil - dissicult to get it all out, the sump plug is in a place to allow it to drain when on the centrestand or paddock stand so it will be less effective in emptying the sump.

Evertyhing else - Just slightly annoying (IMO) to get to everything with the bike on its side stand but no real issues otherwise.
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 15:23:52 »
Can do it all on the side stand if needed, including adjusting the chain. Oil drains well enough on the side stand and you can sit on the bike and keep it upright if you need to anyway. I change the filter each service, I noticed that if I have the bike on the centre stand I don't get all the oil out when I have the filter off. So I drain on the centre stand with the filter removed, then put it on the side stand and I get some more oil out. Only real trouble is getting the oil filled to the right level, bit tricky if you can't keep the bike upright easily, but completely doable though. The only thing that I can think of that will be a PITA is removing the wheels without a centre/paddock stand.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Can someone tell me how to....
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 22:14:10 »
It can be done, but a rear paddock stand and swing arm bobbins can be picked up for the price of 4L of decent oil and a filter. Make things a lot easier..

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 19:50:17 »
I don't have a center stand, and do all my servicing. only thing I get done to her is fitting tyres, and I take the wheels off.

bike should be on the side stand for oil change and chain adjustment. (in owners manual)

I sit on and tilt the bike when doing an oil change- juv is quite correct with the oil filter thing.

do change filters every time- for the sake of £5

I have the CX500 and the old man's Deauville, both with center stands- makes things allot easier and I'll get one when disposable funds allow.

paddock stands are good for wheel removals- but you can't take em with you on tour.

Ride Coordinator