Author Topic: Completely off topic... Air rifles/pistols  (Read 2881 times)

Offline stangbanger

Re: Completely off topic... Air rifles/pistols
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:07:17 »
oh and there isn't a mission of a compressor at home filling a pcp's air tank, they take around 3000psi and must be breathable air so there is no moisture etc in it otherwise the tank will rust, weaken and go pop. dive shops fill your tanks up for you, my last fill was £2.50 a tank and he put a little over the tanks rating as he knew it was for a gun so it lasted me longer.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 12:30:00 »
Thanks again for the info blokes, very interesting stuff.

Locksmith, the Webley MK3 guns in that pic you linked look lovely, the wood does it for me :) It looks very similar to a gun a friend of mine had when I was younger. I have a bullet/pellet wound from it, was walking with the barrel pointing in the air while going up a hill, stumbled, fell forward, dropped the rifle, it hit the ground, the trigger released and I got shot just under my right breast. Good thing I didn't take out an eye or a tooth  :shy: Anyway, lesson learned at a young age and it's stuck, there are few people more careful than me with a gun. Will drop you a line if I decide on getting anything like that Webley Stingray you have :thumb:

I realised that my normal little home compressor won't be near good enough for filling the tanks for a PCP. So much for that 'good' idea. Not a problem with it being so cheap to get the divers tanks filled. The smaller ones might even fit in my cavernous top box  :grin:

Drew 3 has informed me of a club just up the road from me at J3 in Coventry. I'm just off J2 so it's probably about 10-15 mins away from me, ideal. I've decided to go there to get reintroduced to it all, thanks for that Drew :thumb:

Also had another member message me, he's a firearms licensing officer for the police and he's offered that I call him if I have any questions regarding these things. Who better to ask than the licensing officer himself!? :clap:  Thanks a lot for the generous offer (won't mention your name as I'm not sure you want people to know.)

I'll let you know how it went once I've spared a Saturday to go visit the club in Coventry.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline carlos

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 15:15:06 »
well I think we found another good reason to fill a flask and have a ride out....
Pistol practical shooting anyone (now I just need to get back in two wheels)
Co2 I think is best for working replicas or real firearms.. so blowback pistols  and bolt action rifles ... that is my humble opinion...   cartridges are 1£ a pot  but you can get bulk buy  and get a bit cheaper...
for hunting  PCP  and gas ram, nitro piston. Inert gas tech (they are all mostly  the same) srpingers for backyard fun  and the  oportunity  hunt ...  (leave a springer cocked for more that 30 minutes   and the life of the spring will be reduced  a lot)..

I wuld likke to pop a few questions to the licence officer  if possible...  :ty:

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 15:44:27 »
Yes all that makes sense carlos and I think you are correct ,most like there PCP's for the accuracy . But learn to shoot a Theoben Gas ram (takes some learning) and I found it will be just as accurate , then there's no faff with tanks etc . A lot would not agree !
I also like the .20 calibre .

http://www.theoben.co.uk/home.php?cat=19