Author Topic: Hours in the saddle or mileage  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Sharpy

Hours in the saddle or mileage
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:06:54 »
A quick question.... what do people noemally go for when doing "long" rides, hous in the saddle or miles.

I am looking at some routes in Spain, that might be long in terms of ours but short(ish) in terms of mileage.

Or do you just ride as long as you are comfortable on the bike??
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline Fatbelly

Re: Hours in the saddle or mileage
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:35:35 »
On some routes you simply won't be able to do long mileages. If you are in the Alps or something then your average speeds will be low. But not just that - those are the very places you came to see. You will want to stop and appreciate the place.

I found one road in Corsica that is only 20 odd miles long, but it's impossible to ride in less than an hour. But what a fantastic hour!

Also I'm quite certain I'm not the only one who has ridden a spectacular mountain pass and immediately said "again!, again!", and done it a second time. (ie Splugen Pass, Trollstige).

Big miles are for getting to the good bits. Once you are there, take the time to enjoy it.

Offline jockflob

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:39:48 »
I always look at the type of roads I will be travelling on and then work out my average speed which is always a lot lower than you think (unless you ride like an Donkey).  This way you can work out how many hours it will take you to travel to a specific point.

If you are riding on a motorway (dual carriageway or similar) then I work my average journey out at 60mph.  On an reasonable twisty  'A' road about 45mph (if you are lucky) but on a mountain pass say, about 35mph.  People might scoff at this but this is my experience after coming back from a 3000 mile tour on various roads.

The above also takes into account stops which you will take while travelling.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:53:33 »
No real answer to this. It's really a matter for you (and pillion if you're taking one) to decide. I've always worked on the basis that I ride a bike because I enjoy it. So on a long run, unless there are special circumstances, e.g. catching a ferry at a specific time, I want to enjoy the ride. If I make a plan then I try to do this knowing how often I want to stop (or need to for fuel) for a break. This time in the saddle is for you to decide and varies from person to person. It may also depend on what type of roads you're on (motorways Vs twisty mountain roads etc.) and weather conditions.

The general recommendation when driving any vehicle is to stop every hour or so. The most I've ridden in a day is about 650 miles which was too much. It's also good to be flexible in any plan. Things can go wrong. You get lost, have to make a detour, bad weather etc. and getting to you planned destination becomes a problem so with "enjoying biking" in the back of your mind you change your plan and pick a new destination.

If you've not done any long distance rides then making all these decisions can be difficult so perhaps the best way is to start gently and change things day by day to best suit yourself. Riding with a group can be much more challenging. Some can ride all day with minimal breaks and enjoy every minute. Others find 200 miles a day plenty enough. I used to ride with a bloke who in one of his all too common angry moments after us getting lost in rural France for the nth time, said that we should plan our trips like a military exercise. Each to his own, but definitely not for me. However you plan you trip have a great time..

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:09:51 »
Most of the roads I am looking at are "enjoyment" roads, so no motorways once out of Bilbao.  mileage is pretty low c200, but time wise it is looking like 6-7 hours...  Roads look great, scenery looks great!  can't wait.

Just curious on peolpe thoughts... These days might be long but they will be fun.

For reference the lingest ride I have done was Chamonix to Annecy to Geneva to Preston.... think it was about 900miles or so, the only stop I had was on the Channel Tunnel.

Finally letting myself get exctited.
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:33 »
I go by hours, not miles. Generally stop every hour or so unless needing to do big miles on motorways etc.

Longest run was when I was a youngster and more able to tolerate such things: Budapest - Bonn - Dusseldorf - Ostend - Dover (Tried to sleep on ferry, failed miserably) - Truro (slept on mates floor 5 hrs) - Glasgow.

I wouldn't recommend it, I fell alseep on the bike on the M5 near Bristol, woke up as the bike drifted over the rumble strips onto the hard shoulder  :shock:  That scared me so much I didn't even get sleepy until a few hours after arriving in Glasgow.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:47:27 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"

Big miles are for getting to the good bits. Once you are there, take the time to enjoy it.

I'm with Fatbelly on this. Going through the Picos we found ourselves adjusting our concept of 'big miles' down because there was so much we wanted to soak up in terms of views, culture, wandering around a village or town, tapas, just stopping to chat, have a drink of water, watch the vultures - whatever! So 100 to 140 miles a day became really big miles then....Then to get to Madrid or Barcelona you have to be determined and switch your mindset 'mapping' to 'proper big miles' and just go for it!

God,I need to get back down there :bawl:  :) .......you'll have a great time!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:08:16 »
I'm off the ride an hour or so (not more than 1.5 hours) and then stop and do something. This stop could be a snack/coffee/wee/fuel/picture/stretch/whatever break, but you have to stop. Stop before you get tired, that way you will be able to keep going for much longer than riding and stopping after your tired. When roads are motorways or A road types I figure I do 50 miles per hour on average (twisty roads and passes are half that.) I use this to work out how far we can go before we stop for the night. When I have the good lady on the back we do about 4 hours riding with the breaks in between and plan to be at our next destination by then. We leave between 8-9 in the mornings and arrive for a late lunch (about 2-3pm) and then we spend the rest of the time walking around in the place we stopped for the night. We usually manage to find great little restaurants walking around like that, you're not searching for the first best place you see like you would when you arrive late. Leave more time for you return journey to home, it's nice to be able to stop more frequently to delay your arrival at home and the getting back to the everyday routine :)

IMHO, unless you are in a place with endless roads and big mileage is the idea (US?), big mileage will likely be more like work and less like the play you want your riding to be.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:55 »
you,ll find the longer your at it the more miles per day you,ll be able to manage as your body gets used to it. but start off nice and easy 250 miles a day. and if you have a pillion make sure she,s OK as well or you won't have one for long  :)

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 11:42:10 »
No pillion for me, she rides her own bike!!  :auto-dirtbike:
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 12:48:03 »
You need to vary the plan IMHO. I'd rather ride a bit longer or stop shorter and stay in a town with a bit of life than sleep in some industrial estate motel. I will do 1000 mile runs in hours rather than days if pushed and it's the only way to get where I want to go, but this isn't fun and is actualy no quicker when you are fit for nothing on the third day. Fine if you sleep it off back at the office or on a ferry, pointless it you waste you trip. There is also usually no real problem with arriving early, you just replan and push on or have an extra beer. Arriving late because you failed to account for the possibility of a road closure or a puncture usually starts a sequence of events that just starts to ruin things, you'll hit a rush hour, the hotel reception or restaurant will have closed, they'll have locked the campsite gate, the boat will sail early because of a rough sea and so on.

I work on 8 hour days with tea breaks and lunch and sightseeing at anywhere good I pass and an average speed of 45 mph. In winter I also work to the sunset times, better to do a short cold dark bit before the first tea break and another later than be out for hours in the evening rush with a filthy visor, a rumbling stomach and head fit for nothing but sleep.

If doing anywhere with manned border crossings I like to hit them mid morning. You don't have to sleep too close (high prices and crime) but the guards will have had their coffee, sorted the early rush, but not yet be in a mood to say ***** it and go home. Worst that happens is that they delay you into lunchtime and you have to hang about while someone eats.

Groups of more than three bikes will always be running late unless you really plan carefully.

Andy

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 13:24:08 »
Good point about the groups, Andy. People need fuel or to pee at different times and has different comfort levels that dictate how far they can go before they need to stop. If there is a BMW in the group you also need to take into account time lost for breakdowns :neen:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 13:39:51 »
furthest I've been is Durness but the fact remains , I plan in terms of where I'm going. Figure the rest out as you go along. Then again , I don't have a wife or kids. Longest I've spent saddlebound is 7 hours.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 14:51:51 »
As an example from just one trip, I did two 500-600 mile days on major highways to get to the Rocky mountains, two days of 250 miles each playing in the mountains then an 1100 mile day to stay ahead of a dangerous thunderstorm to get back home. The individual, the comfort level of the bike, the surroundings and the weather will all affect the mileage for a day. This is another "how long is a piece of string" question.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 15:27:51 »
We are pro at asking string questions on here  :grin: Thing is, many of these types of questions end up having useful advice from a broad spectrum of people. In the end you can take the experiences/knowledge of others and tailor it to your piece of string (so to speak.)

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 01:09:05 »
I'm toying with the idea of getting an Airhawk pad to help with this (on the list after iPhone mount, hand guards and new boots... see my many other posts for details! Hopefully before the bank cuts up my credit cards at any rate.)... my arse mutinying and demanding I pull over seems to be the only thing holding me back from doing big mileages. Though I guess, once I deal with that I may notice some lesser ache/pain that was being masked by my preoccupation with squirming around on the seat!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Hours in the saddle or mileage
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 08:51:11 »
I find I don't want to stop on great roads, I'm there to ride them.. I certainly wouldn't stop every hour if I were riding alone, I have a 2 litre Camelbak that I use when riding trails on the MTB, this can negate the need to stop to hydrate so I can just keep riding between fuel stops, an apple or banana and a big handful of nuts and dried fruit and I'm good for another tankful..

It's not about miles for me, it's about riding, if I'm on fast sweepers and cover a lot of miles then that's OK, if I'm on tighter roads that slow me down then that's fine too.

I'm just here to ride Sir!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 09:11:44 »
Exactly, Jacko...It's a personal thing, depends on so many factors, including how you're feeling on a particular day!
Funny thing about the seat comfort though (since sharpy mentioned it originally) is I noticed that perticular factor is variable, too. I mean, as a mainly spring/summer(joke)/autumn rider these days I notice that my backside 'toughens up' over the year and I can do longer miles without aches...something I've noticed about bicycle saddles, too. Last weekend up to Scotland I lost my lambskin pad (tucked in its bag from under cargo net) in the gales over the Forth Bridge but I've hardly noticed its loss...no bum-ache at all. Don't think I'll replace it, and just use cycling gel-shorts under in future on longer trips.
Having said that. I've got a spare seat I'll be working on over the winter (was it strommer who did this?) putting in gel inserts etc... :shrug:  But that's just arsin about...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 09:32:54 »
an  airhawk is a "must" ..I would never think of a long journey without mine ... I know at £80 there a crazy price but no matter how good your seat they make it better & I can move it from one bike to another ...I must have the best "rectum" around here  :)

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:00 »
I went down the Corbin route, figured if I got it at the time I bought the bike then I'd get my moneys worth out of it. 15,000 miles later its just the same as the day I bought it, totally comfy all day long.

Paid £120 for my seat & the Smuggler trunk on e-bay, love them both. Figured if I didn't have a "Corbin Bum" then I'd easily sell it again on here...