Author Topic: rear sprocket  (Read 1280 times)

Offline talula

• Bike: DL1000 K3
rear sprocket
« on: September 26, 2012, 19:48:13 »
Hi there, whilst I was lubing my chain I noticed that there was a lot of sideways play in the rear sprocket. The sprocket seems to be attached to the sprocket carrier securely and there is no play in the wheel bearing which leads me to think the problem lies with the cush drive. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and could shed some light on the problem so that I know what to look out for when I strip it down. My bike is a V Strom 1000 K3 with 13000 miles on the clock.

cheers in advance Phil      :shrug:
Ride Hard Or Stay Home!  'Wild Hogs'
'Don't you just love it when the revs rise when you reach the edge of the Tyre'

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: rear sprocket
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 20:22:42 »
The two things that can wear out are the cush drive rubbers and the bearing in the sprocket carrier.

Wear of the rubbers can be checked for by seeing how much the sprocket carrier moves forward and back in line with the chain (north/south in line with the bike).. There should be very little actual movement other than feeling the carrier move slightly and than tighten as it compresses the rubbers. If there is a lot of movement then you either need to fit a new set of rubbers or pack the existing ones out with something like bits of old inner tube cut to size.

To check the sprocket carrier bearing, kneel beside the bike and then hold the top and bottom of the sprocket and see if there is any movement or rocking backward and forwards (east/west on the bike). If the bearing is good shape there should be hardly any perceptible movement at all. If there is a lot of play then the bearing is shot and will need replacing. The Vee is known to have a problem with incorrect chain alignment and fitting a correctly made spacer between the sprocket carrier and sprocket or making up new spacers for the rear wheel on the sprocket side will help reduce premature bearing failure. It will also help the chain/sprockets last longer and improve the gear changing.

Offline talula

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 21:23:19 »
Hi there Hookie, thanks for the prompt reply, judging by what you say and what I found when lubing the chain I think it is the bearing that has gone. I will investigate things in the next coule of days. Thanks again

Phil    :ty:

Offline talula

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 17:50:35 »
Hi there, the cush drive bearing finally arrived and was fitted this morning, the improvement is really noticeable with only a slight clunk when selecting first. I haven't been on a long ride yet but  I am optomistic even so. I am awaiting a spacer from Cymarc engineering to try to sort the sprocket misalignment issue, but in the meantime I fitted some washers between the sprocket and the carrier just to see if they worked. I will post a review of the spacer when I have it fitted.