Author Topic: Recommendation for pads  (Read 1640 times)

Offline bencav

Recommendation for pads
« on: September 16, 2012, 20:10:38 »
Unfortunately, due to me being a heavy weight fat tw@t, and doing a good bit of 2-up this year, I need new pads. I've never changed pads on a bike, so have no idea which brands are considered OK. My thoughts were EBC GGs but I would appreciate some help on this one.

Cheers  :)

Offline greywolf

Re: Recommendation for pads
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 20:31:02 »
There is personal preference involved. I like the stronger braking HH pads on the front and less power on the easy to lock up rear so prefer GG pads in back.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 21:25:17 »
As the man said ......+1

Offline bencav

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 21:29:11 »
Grand, Was wondering the feasibility of using the HH. So; HH front, GG rear!

Thanks lads!

Offline Locky

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 21:34:11 »
Just noticed your new avatar Ben . The Angel of the north . I stayed in a Hotel next to it when I done a Locksmith course . The thing is feckin huge !

Offline Sven

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 21:37:36 »
I use EBC HH front & rear. Not had a problem with the rears.
I've noticed that most people who've posted that the rears lock up, have the older model ( non- abs).
On an abs model, you shouldn't be able to lock the rear anyway!

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 21:55:26 »
I'm about to fit HH front and rear (my Wee has ABS so I've no reason to worry about rear-wheel locking, though the "purist" in me likes to pump the brakes manually ABS or not).

Just make sure when you remove the pin cap screw you use a snug-fitting flat-blade screwdriver and apply pressure slowly so you don't end up with a sheared head like on mine! I'm not looking forward to running a Dremel on the brake caliper to get the bugger out!
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline Jeff999

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 21:57:11 »
Rusty Rita!

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 22:20:29 »
Quote from: "Jeff999"
Rusty Rita!
The screw cap has rusted on the threads, not the head! What the hell am I supposed to do to protect a piece of metal I physically cannot get to (let alone spray up with ACF-50 or the likes)? Besides, I didn't fit these screws to the bike (I wouldn't be stupid enough to fit non-stainless screws/bolts on an outdoor vehicle in the first place).
Personally I blame Suzuki for screwing us with rust-prone parts!
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline bencav

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 22:24:17 »
Quote from: "Locksmith"
Just noticed your new avatar Ben . The Angel of the north . I stayed in a Hotel next to it when I done a Locksmith course . The thing is feckin huge !

The Angel View by chance? Used to be called something else - The Bowes Incline I think!

Where around here did you do a locksmith course? Its usual to just smash things open in these parts!!

Funny thing that you mentioned it is huge - I took a mate to see it when he visited Newcastle for the 1st time, it was a bit smaller than I recalled. Still don't like the rusty lump of tat!

I don't want to mention the story of that pic...but I will:

Took said mate on the strom to see some of the nice parts of the area, finishing at the angel.... which has no toilets near by. Spotted a bush, so when to answer the call, when a lovely young family came tonking down the hill... my only chance to not look like a perv was to grab my camera, and pretend I was in the bush to get a decent shot...thus a pic of the angel!!!

Offline bencav

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 22:26:27 »
Quote from: "Jeff999"
Rusty Rita!

The angel? More rusty Richard! The whole body (ex. wings) was shaped around a moulding of Anthony Gormley - the bloke has no shame!!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 22:32:11 »
The cap on my bike goes back in with a tonne of grease and only barely hand tight. Serviced yesurday and it just popped out. Of reasons like this I don't trust dealers to touch my bike. I won't even take it there for tyres.
Saying that the bleed nipple is jammed. But a dealer would be asking mega bucks to sort this... Have just fitted banjo bolt with bleed nipple. Sorted.

Back on topic. Standard are GG all round.
Fitted Hh all round and yes the rear wanted to lock everytime it was thought about.
Use now gg rear and hh up front. But hh have scored the front discs as I'm a heavy breaker. Gg will he all round after the next change.

Braided hoses are better than the change of pads.

Ride Coordinator

Offline bencav

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 22:39:52 »
Think I will do the braided hoses next time, I am cutting it fine on the pads atm, much more abuse and I will be grating metal on the discs. I don't find the brakes too bad, just that the original pads are worn and next year will see heavy mileage 2-up loaded!

Suspension is my winter project!

Offline Locky

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 22:48:59 »
Quote from: "bencav"
Quote from: "Locksmith"

The Angel View by chance? Used to be called something else - The Bowes Incline I think!

Where around here did you do a locksmith course? Its usual to just smash things open in these parts!!

Funny thing that you mentioned it is huge - I took a mate to see it when he visited Newcastle for the 1st time, it was a bit smaller than I recalled. Still don't like the rusty lump of tat!

I don't want to mention the story of that pic...but I will:

Took said mate on the Strom to see some of the nice parts of the area, finishing at the angel.... which has no toilets near by. Spotted a bush, so when to answer the call, when a lovely young family came tonking down the hill... my only chance to not look like a perv was to grab my camera, and pretend I was in the bush to get a decent shot...thus a pic of the angel!!!

Just had to google it to get the location . Team Valley Trading Estate , you know it ? A bloke who was very well known in the trade had his workshop on there (Jeremy Cargill) . Yes Angel View Hotel .

Offline bencav

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:27:41 »
Know it well mate, Live just over the hill from the TVTE!

Angel view is a canny little pub - had a long staffer home many a time after becoming somewhat demolished in there!!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 12:05:19 »
+1 for EBC HH front and GG rear :thumb:  One reason those using HH rear might want to consider the GG pads instead is because the rear disk is made of softer steel than the front ones and the HH pads eat at them easier than the GG ones do.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog