Author Topic: Rear brake pin cap sheared  (Read 689 times)

Offline LaKraven

Rear brake pin cap sheared
« on: September 16, 2012, 14:58:03 »
So today I set about changing the brake pads (front and rear) before my journey tomorrow... only do discover (yet again) that the screw-in cap locking the rear brake pin in place (the pin which holds the pads to the caliper) has a sheared head, thus won't unscrew!
The last person to screw that cap in was a mechanic from the AA when my previous (incorrect) brake pads disintegrated on a trip to Bournemouth last year!

None of my screwdrivers will get a grip on it, and all they're doing is grinding out the head even further!

Once again, Suzuki's decision to use non-stainless screws and bolts is biting me in the Donkey!

So... has anyone out there had this issue, and (other than replacing the entire caliper which I couldn't do today even if I wanted to) what the hell can I do?
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline Strommer

Re: Rear brake pin cap sheared
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 17:24:49 »
Drill it out I guess.....  Mine is also on its last legs, so if you manage to source a new one - get two and I'll go halfs on postage.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 17:52:05 »
Stainless ones here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STE ... 35ab938b08

Either drill a hole that's smaller diameter than the pin and screw it out with a easyout , you can then re-use it till you pick one up . Or try to re-dremel the slot for the screwdriver .

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 18:40:58 »
Going to have to wait until I return from Manchester next weekend now! Means I'll be doing over 700 miles this week with a rear brake which can fail at any time... not exactly confidence-inspiring!

What I'm going to do is take the fresh pads with me and probably my battery-powered Dremel (and kit), work on it while I'm in Manchester to see if I can get the damn thing off.
For the moment I've brushed copious amounts of ACF-50 onto the head of the cap to prevent the sheared section from corroding further while I'm away, but I will order several stainless caps when I get back.

I have those JML Screw Removers and several reversible drills, so I may try that... but not until I have a replacement cap of course. Otherwise I'm going to have to go mad at it with the Dremel like I did with the side pannier pivot screws a few days ago.

Why do Suzuki insist on using rust-prone parts on their bikes?  :wtf:
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline Strommer

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 21:04:32 »
Quote from: "Locksmith"
Stainless ones here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STE ... 35ab938b08

Either drill a hole that's smaller diameter than the pin and screw it out with a easyout , you can then re-use it till you pick one up . Or try to re-dremel the slot for the screwdriver .

I'm having one of those methinks.

A disgrace to biking...