Author Topic: Specific bolt torques...  (Read 1084 times)

Offline LaKraven

Specific bolt torques...
« on: September 14, 2012, 19:33:41 »
Hi blokes,
I've just done a major service on my bike (well, almost all of it... I'm just down to getting ready for a test ride before putting in new brake pads front and rear). Obviously I've had the fuel tank off to change the engine coolant, spark plugs, and the air filter. I've also removed the rear and side pannier rails to access the rear brake fluid resovoire...

Problem is I cannot find any torque ratings for the following bolts:

- The "pivot bolt" at the top of the fuel tank holding it to the frame. This is a long (fairly small diameter) bolt with a separate nut on the right-hand side. No mention of torques for this bolt in the service manual! :angry-tappingfoot:

- The single bolt at the rear of the fuel tank, holding it to the frame's central crossbar beneath the saddle. No mention of torque rating for this bolt in the service manual (that I've managed to find, anyway). :angry-tappingfoot:

- The two bolts holding the rear pannier/cargo rail to the frame benath the saddle. These are both hex-head bolts which bolt directly down into the frame under the saddle. Again, unable to find a torque rating in the service manual. :angry-tappingfoot:

For the moment I've torqued them all up to 10 foot pounds (low enough not to strip any threads of break anything, but high enough to hold it all together). I'd be very appreciative if anyone knows the correct torque ratings (preferably in foot pounds as this is what my torque wrench is graded in) for these bolts.

Once I've got all those torqued up properly, I'll be ready for a short test ride  :auto-dirtbike:
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline greywolf

Re: Specific bolt torques...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 20:00:24 »
6mm shank bolts get 7lb-ft and 8mm shank bolts get 16.5lb-ft. Where specific torques are not given, use the general chart at the bottom of http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,10963.0.html
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline LaKraven

Re: Specific bolt torques...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 20:06:18 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
6mm shank bolts get 7lb-ft and 8mm shank bolts get 16.5lb-ft. Where specific torques are not given, use the general chart at the bottom of http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,10963.0.html

great! Thanks for the info and link :)
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom