Author Topic: Console resets occasionally when re-starting  (Read 758 times)

Offline Steve33

Console resets occasionally when re-starting
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:46:27 »
Hi All

My K2Vee has recently developed a quirk.

Bike starts fine. Occasionally, if I have to stop the bike and restart, the console resets (needles do their full-scale wipe, clock hits 1:00, trip meter reverts to showing the odometer - I normally run on Trip1).  The bike still starts as this happens though, and performs fine.

No FI light or LCD indication - just looks like a power-cycle.

I'm going to go with "old battery" - I've had the bike 18 months now, and have no idea when the PO changed the battery.

Just thought I'd post here in case anyone (I'm looking at you, Greywolf! ) has an answer such as "give <X> connector a clean and a wiggle".

I will be changing the battery anyway.

Regards

Steve
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline Sharpy

Re: Console resets occasionally when re-starting
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:56:01 »
Funny, my K2 Vee has done this once!  I thought I was losing the plot!  

With mine it almost seemed to miss fire as it started, still started fine but had a bit of a pop but away it went, clock reset and ODD came up... I would be interested as well!
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline Strommer

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:34:41 »
Check 1 - check loose connection to battery and all easily accessible conections
Check 2 - battery load test, charge and repeat
next - replace  battery anyway (recommend motobatt) - charge before fitting
Check 3 (if it persists) - check connector blocks under the left fairing and all wiring to the console

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Steve33

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:07:39 »
Cheers Strommer

Already ordered a Motobatt. So far I've used them on my wife's Gladius and my Zephyr combination (both bikes which stand for long periods) and am really impressed with them. As lively as Hawker batteries, but half the cost.

I'll be getting my contact cleaner spray out soon, and cursing my crash bars when I try to get the fairing panels off.
2002 DL1000

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:17:20 »
If you've got one for the Gladius, could you not "borrow" it and fire up the bike, if it behaves normally, then its the battery....an easy test to do and you get to re-do/tighten the battery connections too.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 11:46:04 »
My bike usually starts doing this randomly when the battery is on it's way out. Particularly if the battery is on it's way out and the bike has been unused for a week or so for some reason.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Steve33

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:58:35 »
Abercol:

Good suggestion, but I'm replacing the battery anyway. My theory on batteries is if you don't know how old they are, they are too old.

I don't like scavenging from other working bikes if I can help it - just asking for trouble, especially if I disabled it when there is still some sun around.

I've checked the terminal connections and everything seems sound.

So, plan of action:

1 Replace battery (already ordered)
2 See if it happens again
3 Let you lot know the result.

Cheers

Steve
2002 DL1000

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 12:31:12 »
A momentary loss of contact with the battery would not reset the clock and ODD setting! It takes fully 40 seconds without power to reset the bike's brain! I've had my battery disconnected for ~30 seconds, reconnected it and the clock be exactly as it was before.

I doubt that your battery alone would be causing this, as if the battery were so low that it can't even provide the few mA required to retain the clock settings, you wouldn't be able to start the bike.

Methinks it's an electrical fault, for sure, but in a computer rather than a battery.
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:37:37 »
Had the same issue on my wee after a faffed around with the lights on for too long, flattened the battery. Jump started off the mrs car and killed 1or 2 cells.
Try to start bike. Engages the starter clutch, heaves into life, and the clock resets, then The dials spin...
New battery was the solution.

Ride Coordinator