Author Topic: What's its value  (Read 2173 times)

Offline ringo grumio nibbler

What's its value
« on: September 12, 2012, 20:32:08 »
How much do you think a K2 Vee would be worth trade-in and privately?

It's fully fettled with all fluids and all bearings replaced, seat recovered and new tyres. Also frame and handle bars cleaned and painted and LED indicators and side lights.

I've been looking at something more economical to run and also don't want to ride an older bike through another winter if I can get something else.

The Triumph Adventure has some great reviews, but the price tag is way too high for me.

I've been looking at the Triumph 800. Any advice from owners?

Offline bencav

Re: What's its value
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 22:01:48 »
I would get a Wee!!  :auto-dirtbike:

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 22:03:06 »
Quote from: "bencav"
I would get a Wee!!  :auto-dirtbike:
I haven't ruled one out. I love the Vee, but it's too big for commuting really.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 22:21:59 »
Get a wee. You know where you stand. You know the issues. And you know you can get a nearly new 'old' model for far less than silly money for bikes that came out last year and the teething trouble hasn't been sorted yet. I've heard alot of moans about issue with trumpets. Like bad fueling making em unridable- dealer denies there's a problem, furnace hot engines. Engine rebuilds needed after 3k miles! AND they are that ugly! These new bikes that are out, are they all trying to out ugly one another? Every one is worse than the last- versys 1k at top of the leader board... Wait till the new KTM adv comes out.
Only bikes I'd contemplate atm would be another wee- new or old style, a deauille- old man has one and once you find thr sweet spot they can be quite fun, but very practical. Maybe a transalp?

Ride Coordinator

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 22:26:45 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
Get a wee. You know where you stand. You know the issues. And you know you can get a nearly new 'old' model for far less than silly money for bikes that came out last year and the teething trouble hasn't been sorted yet. I've heard alot of moans about issue with trumpets. Like bad fueling making em unridable- dealer denies there's a problem, furnace hot engines. Engine rebuilds needed after 3k miles! AND they are that ugly! These new bikes that are out, are they all trying to out ugly one another? Every one is worse than the last- versys 1k at top of the leader board... Wait till the new KTM adv comes out.
Only bikes I'd contemplate atm would be another wee- new or old style, a deauille- old man has one and once you find thr sweet spot they can be quite fun, but very practical. Maybe a transalp?
Appreciate the tips on the Tiger. I wasn't aware of the engine problems and was under the impression from limited research that they were economical, fast and ran sweet.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:20:14 »
I know a lad with a Tiger 800 XC and he's not impressed. Poor finish (peeling paint, rusty forks, sticking brakes - warped two discs already... and it's only been wet when it's washed !!!), poor fueling and very thirsty. He's looking to get rid of the bike but at 6 months old he'll lose a fortune...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline stibbs

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 08:02:06 »
Get the wee. I'm very pleased with mine. The best "all rounder" I've owned and excellent fuel economy. :grin:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 08:12:47 »
The Wee is reckoned a great bike for commuting - great lights, comfy, big road 'presence', economical; and then fun at the weekend, too!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Coval

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 08:40:40 »
Short story about Triumph build quality.
A friend of mine bought an ex-demo Speed Triple 2 years ago, 12 months on he noticed his gearchanges becaming problematic.
A closer inspection revealed a cracked mounting lug on the engine casing, where it bolts with the frame.
This meant the motor was out of alignment with the sprockets.
Engine out job, the lug fell off and showed evidence of black engine paint inside the crack, looking like it's been painted over. No joy with the dealer and emails to Hinkley remained unanswered. Rather than replace the entire cyl. head for £1250 he had the head stripped and the lug welded.
Enough said.
Piaggio X9 250 > Kawa GPZ900R > Yam GTS1000 > Yam TDM900 > Yam FJR1300 > K7 Wee & '98 VFR800Fi

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 08:49:56 »
I seem to see it go one of two ways with Triumphs, a bit like BMW's.... If you get a good one they are amazing pieces of kit, however if you get a Friday night special they will be the worst thing ever, made worse than BMW by the fact after sales is so poor, at least BMW fix the bike for you....

I have been looking at both the F800GS and the 800 Explorer...
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 12:17:00 »
Re. current BMWs and Triumphs. One has to wonder at their wisdom of moving their production and assembly out of Germany and the U.K. respectively.  Whilst they should be able to maintain their quality, history often proves otherwise with disastrous consequences. The other factor is their seeming rush to produce new models and whether they push them into production before they have been properly debugged. These two factors together should make potential buyers look very carefully before parting with their money.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 12:53:15 »
To answer the original question, I doubt the bike is worth much at all. Unfortunately any extras don't usually mean a value increase. You'd probably get £2000, maybe up to £2500 for it in a private sale if it's in mint condition. The (st)dealers will give you far less than that.

How about a nice KTM 990 SM T ABS as a bit of a wild card replacement idea? :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 13:26:42 »
Quote from: "ringo grumio nibbler"
I love the Vee, but it's too big for commuting really.

Speak for yourself , I use the V 2012 during rush hour in Glasgow City Centre and its fine. Used to use an XT , you just need to learn when you need to watch out for mirrors due to the height.

there's a few bikes similar to the V that might be OK. The Versys is a similar but lighter bike. On paper it is the same weight , but it feels lighter. If you aren't bothered about speed , the KLR would seem like a good bike for commuting.

If you want a real commuting machine for cities, there's the DRZ 400.

If you want better fuel economy and don't care about speed , you will probably need to reduce your CCs a bit. The YBR (or was it the CG) 125 has the best mpg out of all commercially available bikes.

If you want a rigid bike , you could go for the Harley Davidson MT 400/350s. Most of them are ex army so are sold with panniers (front and back) and a gun rack (to scare 4x4s). Parts are quite readily available if you know where to look. MadStu on youtube has one of those.

If you want something sporty , youd be better asking the nearest towel than me!

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 19:58:01 »
The "too big" reference was in relation to the mpg not the physical size and weight. I actually find the bike great to ride on country roads and in town, but I'm getting sub 40mpg out of it and I've found that I really don't need all of the extra grunt that it has.

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 20:07:24 »
WOW!!  Sounds like a fuelling issue!

I get best part of 50mpg on mine and I like to make good progress!!  :)
Biker & Cyclist...

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 20:10:14 »
Quote from: "Sharpy"
WOW!!  Sounds like a fuelling issue!

I get best part of 50mpg on mine and I like to make good progress!!  :)
Did you get your throttle synced? What did it cost and who did it for you?

I'm tempted to remove the secondaries and give it a good Redexing too.

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 20:13:18 »
Mine was done under warranty by the garage I got it from.  I would take it to Stuart Raffertys in York for anything else, he has been my mechanic of choice and my girlfriends, since we started biking!
Biker & Cyclist...

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 20:17:57 »
Mine was done under warranty by the garage I got it from.  I would take it to Stuart Raffertys in York for anything else, he has been my mechanic of choice and my girlfriends, since we started biking!
Which garage does he work out of? I have used a lad who used to run a garage on Leeming Road and now works from home at very good rates.

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 20:24:11 »
He is a one man band, he has a unit in the Rayloe Centre.
Biker & Cyclist...

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 20:28:53 »
He is a one man band, he has a unit in the Rayloe Centre.
Ah right, I know where you mean. Does he do bikes only?