Author Topic: Nodding BMW riders  (Read 5153 times)

Offline jimbo8098

Re: Nodding BMW riders
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 13:28:49 »
Quote from: "hookie"
Here in France all bikers seem to wave to each other. Even Harley riders wave to us mere mortals, something that doesn't happen in the UK.

I get nodded at by HDs while commutting. There is one that dosent bother but then he only ever seems to look ahead of him , never seen him do a lifesaver in the months I've been doing the route.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 18:49:03 »
I've noticed a lot of HD riders waving these day's, perhaps because I'm on an Italian ?
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline kennydies

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 19:05:19 »
I do have a confession from today.

I did nod to a moped rider.... It was not my fault the sun was in my eyes and I thought it was  a real bike.

What are the consequences do you blokes have to take me outside and stone me?
Don't Think, Drink!

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 19:06:52 »
as a newbie with no biker friends I'm not sure I understand the whole nodding etiquette..

Do enlighten me  :shrug:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 19:24:26 »
Trouble is, everyone seems to have a different take on the 'etiquette': there is no written source for such a code of conduct, like they had books on good table manners in the 19th century. I just nod or wave or salute and grin (depending on mood, how much I need to keep a grip on the bars etc) to any powered two-wheeler...I enjoy the shocked looks (and I swear, wobbles) thus produced in scooter riders, mopeds etc. Police bikes, Harley's , Hells Angels (and wannabees)...they all get something out of the lucky bag of acknowledgement!

The acknowledgement is for being in 'the same boat' so-to-speak: facing the same dangers, cage-drivers, diesel spills, inclement weather, and assorted other hazards  - as well as sharing the same mad joys of being on two wheels !

Its funny to hear that BMW riders even discriminate according to what BeeEm you're riding! lol I'd never suspected that level of snootiness before!

Abercol - I like 'the cheese hypothesis', at least I'm not scoffing (no pun). Cheese is a generally underrated component of the Universe. Probably the so-called God Particle when examined more closely will be found to be a tiny, tinyweeny piece of wensleydale - a crumb fallen from the Creator's own coffee-table as it were....Well, it wouldn't surprise me these days, anyway.
 :wtf:

And no, I haven't been drinking. :obscene-drinkingchug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 10:21:10 »
I nod/wave at anything and anyone that looks my way if I have the time (meaning if I have spare attention I can divert.)

I even wave at little kids if they stare at me, even if I'm just walking around in bike clothes. I reckon their first experience of a motorcyclist should be positive so I smile and wave at them so they can see we are friendly. I've never had parents looking at me weirdly for doing so, in fact, a lot of them have encouraged their kids to wave back at me. Often they wave back and the frown turns into a big smile to boot. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a big fan of kids, I don't have any of my own and I'm not having any in the future (that has been made permanent.) But I do recognise that they are the future generation and if a wave and a smile is going to mean that more of that future generation is going to think positively about bikes and bikers then I'm happy.

The same goes for scooter riders and people on learner plates, if they are behaving themselves they get a nod or a wave (if it's safe to wave.) The hooligans get a finger waved at them with a shake of the head that is universally recognised as "I don't approve of that" and/or "No!". I nod at bikes if I am in the car, force of habit, I nod at them if I'm on my mountain bike and when I'm walking anywhere. I nod at horse riders and I nod at anyone that moves over when I'm filtering or to let me pass.

I hope all this good karma is enough to keep the odds in my favour on the road  :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 12:03:34 »
I always make a point of waving to scooters and 125s - let them know you approve. I also wave to bike cops - they often wave back.

But if I ever meet the traffic cop who entrapped me I will wave him right in the face.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 12:42:51 »
When I was a lad blah, blah, blah, the older bikers who had anything around 500cc or greater were held in great esteem by the group of "apprentices" who were younger and rode smaller bikes and had to show us great respect. Then a learner at 16 could ride a 250cc bike or anything with a sidecar for heavens sake. They were only acknowledged very occasionally as they knew their place, but as time went by and they proved they could ride and bought proper bikes they were then welcomed into the fold. One never waved to apprentices or shared a drink with then at the pub, although if they bought you a drink that would definitely earn them brownie points. At that time BMW owners were very few and far between, had nothing at all to do with us and were somehow regarded as a completely different species- not much change there then. In many ways things were a lot more fun. Much less traffic, Avon SM tyres, Lucas 6v electrics and no electric starters, externally oil cooled bikes (one mate had a Bonneville nicknamed the Torrey Canyon- read your history!), no speed cameras or mobile traps, cops who clipped you round the ear rather than fining you, no speed limits except in towns and petrol at about 40p a gallon, greasy finger nails blah, blah, blah.

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 14:16:50 »
I grew up in the bleak future where hover boards and jetpacks still don't exist :( I never got nodded to when I was on a 125 , mainly because I rode it during the winter and only rode about 1 mile to and from school. When I got the XT , I rode to work and back which was maybe 5 miles and then later 30 miles in both cases I was nodded to and people even pulled over to help! Fast forward to my VStrom and I get nods all over the place and actually stop to help others!

I've never been nodded to by a BMW tourer rider but been nodded to by GS owners. Even similar bikes to the BMW tourers like the Goldwings and all those other "big tourey" bikes are OK for the nod.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 09:15:25 »
Quote from: "Firestorm"
The view from within? Where to start! There seems to be a 'pecking order' with fellow BMW riders .....!

Nail on the head, with a 14 lb hammer, full tilt from level with the waist and an extra dose of Weetabix to drive it home!

The equivalent of Royalty is the bloke on a 3 month old RT/LT, whatever BMW just told them to buy with a BMW UK parking permit one side of the screen and the I AM sticker the other. The bike should be white with suitably applied glow in the dark pin stripes. The dayglo vest will be the only "old" piece of kit, being purchased at the BMW rider school in 1944. The beard should be trimmed level with the collar of the BMW jacket. Our friend has been a Ober-section Strasse Fuhrer for as long as anyone can remember and is always available to drive his Volvo to club meets! Waving/nodding is reserved for recognised members of the national comittee on rides agreed with a 2/3 majority of a suitable quorum.

Lowest of the low is anyone who dares to ride their F650 to say Vladivostok and then points out it was ITHO a good choice compared to the R1250GS they looked at which would have been a lardy pig on the sort of roads you get outside the home counties. You can sink lower by actually saying the waterproofs you bought at Netto don't leak like the BMW ones, hanging about with the GS club and posting things that make Jerremy Clarkson look sane on the message board . This chap will often wave/nod to anyone unless actualy a GS club member in which case he'll be too busy shopping or falling off.

:sarc:

You might have guessed I'm an ex-BMW owner and BMW Club member! Good bikes (as are Harleys) once you get passed guff that goes with them, but horribly overpriced which is why I've been riding Triumph (Bonneville message boards are like Harley ones BTW) and now Suzuki.

I nod or wave to anyone including the local Pizza kid who is either on drugs or likely to be the next Rossi. Pizza boy, the plod and Hells Angels I think are best given a simple nod of the head as they may not wish to be associated with me, while I sort of reserve the full wave for riders I might know. The wave of the leg while overtaking (European style) can be taken as an invitation to race by some of the leather baby grow people, so I tend to give them a small wave. Maybe that's the ettiquette?

Andy

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 14:56:46 »
Just been out for a ride through Ashton in Makerfield, Skelmersdale, Ormskirk,Southport, Croston, Rufford, and back to Garswood..

So whilst I was out I thought I'd do a bit of research.... :crazy:  :crazy: I only acknowledged nods didn't give them first..

So my observations/experiences were as follows...

young lads in T-shirts on Scooters     No nods

Groups of riders on "Big" bikes    Nods from lead rider only

Solo riders on all bikes (not scooters)  nods all round

I passed one Classic Scooter Club rideout  they all nodded about 10 of them

On Lord Street in Southport I got a big smile and a nod from a Strom owner stood beside his parked bike without his gear on  :lala:  :lala:

Was it you ??????

Oh ,,,,finally passed  one BMW solo rider on a strom style bike and got a nod

Offline frez

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 19:26:18 »
I had a BMW 1200 GS 'wave' to me with his leg as I was passing him today, of course I could have been mistaken and he could have just been stretching his leg, but I like to think it was a wave.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 19:39:37 »
I see a fully kitted gs pretty much every morning going to uni and he always waves or nods!!
How strange ...
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline bencav

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 20:19:49 »
Quote from: "jabmotorsport"
I see a fully kitted gs pretty much every morning

that's why I hate them!! They but the GS to look the part, but rarely ever take it out os suburbia - if ever!

I could guess that about 75% of people on here have hard luggage of one type or another, and I guess that less that 10% leave it on if they aren't using it! BMW rider seem to have solid mounted luggage - they never take the stuff off!

...oh yeah, I don't nod to BMW riders, I ant be arsed with the repeated lack of response, if they want me to nod, they need to get a non-pretentious bike!!

Offline jabmotorsport

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 21:34:13 »
I do agree bencav but must admit this chap isn't too bad .. he doesn't have hard luggage on just top box and crash bars and that :)

Offline bencav

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 21:41:17 »
I do agree bencav but must admit this chap isn't too bad .. he doesn't have hard luggage on just top box and crash bars and that :)

In this instance, I will give him due credit (as I have bars and top box on all the time too!)  :grin:

But for constant pannier jockeys - no such reprive ;)

To be fair to them, I work with a few Beemer riders, they are OK really, altough none of them are in the GS brigade! I think the nodding thing is each to their own really, but the pannier thing really grinds my bolt!!

Offline jabmotorsport

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 22:12:06 »
Quote from: "bencav"

In this instance, I will give him due credit (as I have bars and top box on all the time too!)  :grin:

But for constant pannier jockeys - no such reprive ;)

To be fair to them, I work with a few Beemer riders, they are OK really, altough none of them are in the GS brigade! I think the nodding thing is each to their own really, but the pannier thing really grinds my bolt!!

I agree :)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 22:38:39 »
outside work today, I looked over to 'Halfrauds' and saw a 1200gs with what appeared to be vinyl wrapped with desert camo.
the only sandy place that bike will most likely go is next to the kids sand pit when he puts it in the garage for the winter :GRR:
and yes the bloke came out dressed in the full BMW 'I like to look like Ewan McGregor, but with my LARGE gut bulging out so I can't do up the zip on my trousers.'
he nearly fell over getting his leg over the very lowered bike. and rode off wobbling is way out of the car park. More money than riding ability!

I then got on my bike and over took him going up the dual carriageway, he was doing about 45 in a 70 and weaving all over the road.  :haha:

Did I get a wave... Did I f@ck!

Ride Coordinator

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 00:01:01 »
Its not only BMW riders that are like this, many riders just don't have the experience or the miles under there belts to ride well.
It always makes me laugh when I got to race meetings, many riders doing 50mph on duel carriageways, looking almost afraid that they might get close to the speed limit.  

Keith C
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 08:09:41 »
I see a couple of GS riders everyday on the commute and they always nod.... I suspect it is the weekend warriors that don't nod!  :neen:
Biker & Cyclist...