Author Topic: Nodding BMW riders  (Read 5154 times)

Offline temporaryescapee

Nodding BMW riders
« on: September 10, 2012, 21:21:40 »
...yes you read that right.  It turns out this is not a paradox after all.

I am currently finishing a lap of Scotland.  Yesterday was a biggie, starting at Fort William and taking in the Applecross peninsula, Gairloch, Smoo Cave (that's for the nod on the Fatbelly - picked it up from one of your posts I think) and ending in Tongue.  Seemingly 4 out of every 5 bikes was a BMW and they all nodded.  I am a confused man - no BMW riders ever nod.  I ride with a perfectly nice Geordie lad on most of my trips but he rides an RT1150 and thus never nods - I have to do it for the both of us.

All I can think of is that when a BMW rider actually has an adventure he just becomes another biker.  Has anyone else noticed this or is this just a 'black swan' event?

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Nodding BMW riders
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 21:28:31 »
1...Bliddy Geordies!

2...there's something going on: my own recent experience is of nodding, seemingly amicable BMW riders (all models, GS's K's etc).
But then the other day, not one of them  nodded or otherwise gestured (one or two even looked supercilious). Now that last bit might be my imagination, but there was definitely no nodding.

It's a conspiracy. Has anyone checked their forums?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 22:00:01 »
I think they BMW rider are restricted physically from nodding, by way of a neck brace.
installed buy Beemer dealers upon signing the finance agreement, for the purposes of when service and repairs are required, the owner can't see to find his wallet. then the dealer offers to 'find' it and 'relieve' the owner of the required amount of funds without worrying the owner about the actual total value.
thus the owners believing that the BMW brand is wholly value for money, and only finds out the true cost of the services and repairs when the AA bloke takes the brace off to show the owner the damage the main/rear/final drive seal/ gearbox/ electrical/ ABS/ Clutch ect ect related failure.
Think, you never find an owner talking about how crap their bike is... but past owners tend to call them crap, expensive and unreliable...  :shrug:

did once get a nod from an owner, was so shocked I wobbled and nearly fell off!...  he must have been on a test ride and not had the brace installed yet! :sarc:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 22:06:04 »
It wasn't me who mentioned Smoo Cave, it was Jimbo. (Although it was me who showed it to him). Glad you're having fun up here in our playground. This weekend we took young Jimbo to Machrihanish and showed him how old geezers drink too much!

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:13:48 »
Perhaps they were feeling lonely as no one ever waves to them? Perhaps they were near journey's end and were so glad (and surprised?) to have got there that they felt the need to wave to just anyone?

I was on a ride out out with some mates and had stopped for a drink in a roadside bar somewhere in France and a whole group of RSs came past and then had to slow down for the roundabout nearby. It was a delight to hear the crunching and crashing noises from their gearboxes as they all changed down. I was reliably informed by a BMW aficionado with us that this was a "feature and not a fault".

Bearing this in mind suggestions please for the collective noun for a group of BMW rides. Perhaps "a crunching of BMWs", "an embarrassment of BMWs" (the crashing down changes were very loud), "a shoal of BMWs" or "a wailing of BMWs" (no doubt looking forward to those repair bills?)

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:20:47 »
There are some that nod.... I used to have a BMW and could nod, although it was oddly painful!  Now my other half has a BMW and she can still nod, although she complains about a stiff neck!!  :shrug:
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline John316

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 08:40:34 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
I think they BMW rider are restricted physically from nodding, by way of a neck brace.
installed buy Beemer dealers upon signing the finance agreement
lol  lol
This must be about the equivalent of a Mallamdale wave we get in Yorkshire from car drivers!
John3;16

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:04:37 »
I think they don't nod because of the pole they have shoved up there own arses h-a h-a ...or it could be they don't nod because they feel a little ashamed that they have spent all that money on a bike that has to been brought back from abroad on a trailer h-a h-a ...have you heard the one about the BMW that went touring abroad , out of warranty  ...no  ? ....   neither have I , its still over there broke down h-a h-a ....what do you call a BMW out of warranty .... spares or repairs h-a h-a .... :grin:

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:29 »
The answer lads, is that they was all foreign types on a jaunt to our fair shores and waved/nodded so as to feel as one with the "natives".

The more cynical of you may observe that they were frantically nodding and waving to attact attention and possible friendship in case they broke down yet again while on said foreign jaunt and needed rescuing in what is, for European BMW riders, a true wilderness....more than 100 miles from their nearest BMW dealer, they clearly like to live life on the edge.

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 13:15:10 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
It wasn't me who mentioned Smoo Cave, it was Jimbo. (Although it was me who showed it to him). Glad you're having fun up here in our playground. This weekend we took young Jimbo to Machrihanish and showed him how old geezers drink too much!

Yes , it was indeed me who mentioned Smoo. Thanks to Fatbelly here :)

It's probably what got me into this whole adventure riding malarky in the first place to be honest  :grin:

Machrihanish will be a night to remember for quite some time to come lol

As for the nodding BMWs , I find it depends on the BMW. GS owners are most likely to nod at me on the strom but RT owners seem a little shy.

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 14:50:22 »
Steady on Folks - I'm feeling picked on!!

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 15:24:46 »
Heh heh! Serves you right, firestorm! (But not your missus, she doesn't deserve it!) :grin:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 16:16:35 »
Best laugh I've had so far today, Gassoon!  lol  :clap:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 20:40:48 »
Quote from: "Firestorm"
Steady on Folks - I'm feeling picked on!!

Hello Firestrom - maybe you can give us the view from 'within'.  Have you modified you nodding behaviour since you changed bikes?  Maybe there is a section in the RT owner's manual?   Of course it could just be that the screeen works so your head is stable, whereas us V-strom riders end up nodding like we have cerebral palsy due to our screens!!!

Quote from: "jimbo8098"
Yes , it was indeed me who mentioned Smoo. Thanks to Fatbelly here :)

Thanks for sharing Jimbo - good shout.   There are a few pics of the trip in the rides and reports section if you are interested.

Quote from: "Gassoon"
1...Bliddy Geordies!

I mention my pal is a Geordie since you are invariably a gregarious bunch, which makes the behaviour all the more hard to explain.

All was back to normal of the way home by the way - obviously just a highlands phenomena

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 08:20:21 »
Quote from: "temporaryescapee"
I mention my pal is a Geordie since you are invariably a gregarious bunch, which makes the behaviour all the more hard to explain.

Sadly, its true - am never out of greggs, me...

Hmmm ...I fancy a trip to Smoo Cave ...

Work Experience Stasi

Offline alan29

• 200th Member
  • Bike: DL650XT M0
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 09:28:40 »
They daren't nod in case it makes something else go wrong with their bike.

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 09:44:12 »
The view from within? Where to start! There seems to be a 'pecking order' with fellow BMW riders and as I'm on an old RT I'm not a fully paid up member so am ignored, like the rest of you, by the GS brigade and many on nearly new models. Of course, it could me my mismatched kit that does it as I don't look like a Paris Dakar competitor.

It could also be that I haven't been anywhere near a BMW Dealer so haven't been 'assimilated into the collective' yet!!

I have certainly startled a number of people on all sorts of Bikes when I give a nod or a cheery wave - they obviously think I've stolen it. I stopped to see if one Fellow was OK as he was parked on the side of the road and from the look on his face I think he thought I was a Policeman on an unmarked Bike.

Gassoon - Mrs Firestorm still prefers the Vee so yes - she doesn't deserve it as its all my fault!

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 11:57:42 »
I used to have an R1100SS and wasn't waved to by anybody. I suspect GS riders thought that it wasn't a proper BMW with it's sporting pretensions and other bikers simply because it was a BMW with those sticky out cylinders. I couldn't give a stuff either way....

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 12:15:29 »
Quote from: "hookie"
I used to have an R1100SS and wasn't waved to by anybody. I suspect GS riders thought that it wasn't a proper BMW with it's sporting pretensions and other bikers simply because it was a BMW with those sticky out cylinders. I couldn't give a stuff either way....

Funny that. I waved at everyone (still do) when on my RT and loads of folk wouldn't wave back. The wave quotient had definitely been on a steady decline since the 80's. I blame the "me me me" culture.

Or cheese. Cheese seems to be getting the blame for a lot of things these days. Including my belly if my missus' rants are to be believed....Yes! I shall blame cheese, damned cheddar goodness, its all downhill after a bit of Cathedral City!

Offline hookie

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 12:19:49 »
Here in France all bikers seem to wave to each other. Even Harley riders wave to us mere mortals, something that doesn't happen in the UK.