Author Topic: Pannier rack that doesn't waste space?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline loggamatt

Pannier rack that doesn't waste space?
« on: September 06, 2012, 15:50:09 »
Apologies if this has already been asked... am a newbie! :)  Did a quick search and couldn't find anything though...

So, I'm taking delivery of my new Wee2 soon (hopefully!) and already have a Givi Trekker 52 litre top box and mounting plate to fit when it arrives. Now, I like the idea at some point of getting the Givi Trekker panniers as well, but think two of the 33 litre ones would be too small, and two of the 46 litre ones would make filtering a nightmare.

The obvious solution, of course, would be to have the 33 litre one on the exhaust side, and the 46 litre one on the other side... but bizarrely, from what I can tell by researching online, it seems that the Givi rack is equal width on both sides despite that wasting a load of space on the non-exhaust side :(

Just wondering whether anyone has a pannier solution that doesn't waste space? Would ideally like to have matching Givi Trekker luggage all around, but may have to do something else to get the right balance between luggage capacity and bike width.

Offline DesertStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9, Triumph Street Scrambler
Re: Pannier rack that doesn't waste space?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 16:05:02 »
Hi there
You could fit the Givi V35 panniers but once you fit the rack you are stuck with them as nothing else will fit  :bawl:

With the standard rails you can fit many different types & sizes.
From some of the pictures I have seen of the Trekkers they are not quite central!

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 16:13:10 »
That bottom picture of the Trekkers is very interesting! As you say, certainly seems like I was wrong about the rack being the same width on both sides... from the Givi fitting instructions it looked like it would be.

OK, a bit happier about going the Givi Trekker panniers route now!

Am in my 1st year riding so still getting used to filtering... a bit nervous about trying it with panniers making the bike a lot wider!  :shock:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 16:47:11 »
From experience it doesn't matter too much if the one side sticks out more than the other if you've got the panniers on. Make sure they are of equal weight, more or less, and you won't even notice it. You can always stick a tool tube or such in the 'wasted space' to make some good use of it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline greywolf

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 16:52:18 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
You can always stick a tool tube or such in the 'wasted space' to make some good use of it.
Used space, not wasted space.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 18:21:05 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
Quote from: "Juvecu"
You can always stick a tool tube or such in the 'wasted space' to make some good use of it.
Used space, not wasted space.

A bike mounted rocket launcher?? That really would come in handy! ;-)

Thanks all, food for thought... I'm still in two minds between going the pannier route and making filtering a nightmare, or just using the top box and strapping a roll bag to the pillion seat. Might use both options depending on the situation.

Thanks again! :)

Offline mjc506

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 18:22:29 »
nah, it's a JATO pod :)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 18:48:49 »
Great picture Greywolf.

I've always been put-off panniers by the gap that would be on the non-exhaust side. But the whole thing looks much more balanced with that tube in the space.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Birdbrain72

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 18:51:15 »
After seeing the pictures of the fitted trekker boxes I have just ordered a Givi rack along with 33lt and 46lt trekker panniers. Got them from Bykebitz who advised that on my 2012 strom I had to have different pannier sizes. On their site they have a picture of the frame on a 2012 strom with different size trekker boxes.
Fear is just an illusion!