Author Topic: Hello from sunny south Wales!  (Read 3381 times)

Offline s-d

• Bike: DL650 L2
Hello from sunny south Wales!
« on: September 03, 2012, 16:44:34 »
Hi all

Glad to see there's a dedicated forum for the V-strom as I'm looking to buy one as my first big bike. I've had lots of suggestions and sat on as many bikes as I could. The most comfortable were the adventure type and the V-strom was almost perfect for me, just felt very natural, and I want an all-purpose bike.

Any buying advice would be appreciated.

simon

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Hello from sunny south Wales!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 16:48:42 »
Hi Simon and  :welcome:

It's a great bike and we already have a large contingent from South Wales.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Chris Graves

• Bike: V-Strom DL 650, ZZR 1100, Honda CRF250L
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 17:23:40 »
:welcome:

Offline matchless

• Bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 17:25:29 »
Hello &  :welcome:
"It may be rubbish, but it's British rubbish !"

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 22:11:10 »
Good luck with your search. Strom's the way to go. tried many bikes and still get back on my baby after testing some other fashionable thing and feel the urge to rev the nuts out of it and return home confident it's better than any other bike I just tried. I'm refusing to test ride the new one for one of the local dealers, incase I do find it slightly more enjoyable.

there's a few of us around south Wales, mainly around swansea area. I'm fairly regularly in JT's in swansea. Paul there is a fan of the strom, I've bought a few bikes from them. but their servicing boys are monkeys. Thunderroad are better for that but they sell big brand tyres but only from the Chinese factories, and are crap quality compared to the EU made ones, last rear lasted 7k (Chinese), Pontardulias Tyres (spanish made) lasted 11k.  :angry-tappingfoot:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 22:18:18 »
Hi &  :welcome2:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:52:05 »
hi and  :welcome:  I think there is one for sale in the for sale section good luck
Too Old To Die Young

Offline s-d

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:49 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
Good luck with your search. Strom's the way to go. tried many bikes and still get back on my baby after testing some other fashionable thing and feel the urge to rev the nuts out of it and return home confident it's better than any other bike I just tried. I'm refusing to test ride the new one for one of the local dealers, incase I do find it slightly more enjoyable.

there's a few of us around south Wales, mainly around swansea area. I'm fairly regularly in JT's in swansea. Paul there is a fan of the Strom, I've bought a few bikes from them. but their servicing boys are monkeys. Thunderroad are better for that but they sell big brand tyres but only from the Chinese factories, and are crap quality compared to the EU made ones, last rear lasted 7k (Chinese), Pontardulias Tyres (spanish made) lasted 11k.  :angry-tappingfoot:

thanks for the heads-up. I was down that way on the weekend in Thunder Road, didn't know about JTs there or would have popped in. Got a lot to learn about bikes so inside info on tyes an stuff is good, ta!

Offline s-d

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:20 »
Quote from: "PHIL FAT"
hi and  :welcome:  I think there is one for sale in the for sale section good luck
thanks, ill check it out....

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 22:38:12 »

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 18:10:13 »
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 22:11:27 »
The Welsh chapter is going strong! Have a look at the map here, get yerself on it maybe!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5646

Oh, and  :welcome:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 22:33:48 »
Oh yeah JT's in bridgend is no longer part of the swansea company anymore. The bridgend one is a bit crap by all acounts.
And avoid Mounts like the plauge. Crap after sales and they rip you off with seconds clothing. And crap quality spares. Thurderroad I use on occation but M&Ps isn't too far away from me in swansea. Nice fancy new showroom too, since the old one burnt down last summer.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Catballou

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 12:15:32 »
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline s-d

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 08:38:49 »
thanks again blokes!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 13:17:21 »
Any luck finding a bike? I'm at a loose end this weekend and have been told to bugger off out.
If your still looking I'm happy to go looking in the dealers mate.

Ride Coordinator

Offline s-d

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 14:49:41 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
Any luck finding a bike? I'm at a loose end this weekend and have been told to bugger off out.
If your still looking I'm happy to go looking in the dealers mate.

Hello! I have settled on a bike thanks, though it's not here yet. Got a deposit on the new DL650 ABS which will be delivered after I pass my Mod 2, which should be later this month. I could get it registered and delivered uninsured and at least fondle it in my garage but must resist until I'm fully legit! Would have been handy having a more knowledgeable rider with me at the dealers when I was trying them for size. We'll have to hook up on a ride out once I've got the bike though.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 15:00:38 »
Any time mate. Where did you go for your new bike?
Been toying with the idea of a new bike... The only one in the market that would make me part with my dosh would be a vee, glee or the same as I have now. Others have benifits from the strom, but big compromises in others. The strom is the balanced package of handeling, power, touring capability, luggage options, fuel economy and above all that engine adds the important fun factor. I think everyone on here will admit a love affair with the TL/SV/DL/SVF engines. I'd love to rip out the mrs 1.4 nissan engine out of her almera and replace with a TL1000 engine and let her join in the fun... Or I could get her cx500 baco on the road...?

Ride Coordinator

Offline s-d

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 17:59:07 »
I got the bike from Alford Brothers, folkstone. Rang round and emailed a few dealers and they gave me the best deal on a new bike - were very easy to deal with and not at all pushy. Wish I'd rang TR Bridgend to give them the chance to match the deal, but they had a used one for not a whole lot less, so I reckon they wouldn't have matched it.

The things you mention about the Glee (is it considered a camp bike?!) are frustratingly tantalising. All I have to go on is what it feel like to sit on in a showroom... never spent so much money blind before, but it'll be a world of difference to my CBF. I do keep reading very good reviews about its all-round capability, and from someone with next to zero experience of what a bike should do that counts for a lot. Can't bloody wait!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 19:06:06 »
I bought it 'blind' as you say.
I sat on one before even doing my cbt. sat on all sorts of bikes and they said the one that feels right just sitting on it is the one you want. The V-Strom did.
after passing my DAS, dreams made me want a Triumph America Cruiser... had the money to go buy it. The dealer was closing, but I'd found the one I liked, with the right spec for the right money with low miles.
I thought I'd look around a bit before jumping in as no dealer would let me test ride after having my licence 2 days. went to another few other dealers, looked around, and I kept looking back at this blue V-Strom in the corner, with no details or price on it. My dad was chatting to the sales bloke, I wandered off and had a sit on it. called over to the bloke, what's the price on this one... the rest is history.
after 2 years and 30k miles I'm fairly certain I made the right choice.  :shrug:
she's now scratched, bashed, bruised and abused, but still as much fun as ever.  :auto-dirtbike:

and no the Glee is a descriptive nick name as we needed a way to distinguish the 1000cc from the 650cc and the new and old 650's from one another.
But 'us' the owners of the older Wee's did have a little giggle at 'Glee' after someone pointed out the new front lights look like it's got eyelashes  :neen:  I'd buy one anyhows.

Vee= DL1000, Wee = older 650, Glee = new 2012 650. but the GL part is cos the engine is a development of the Gladius version of the SV650/DL650 engine. the engine's been out a while in various forms.

Ride Coordinator