Author Topic: What's your unusual biking pleasure?  (Read 16004 times)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
What's your unusual biking pleasure?
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2012, 07:57:27 »
I sometimes smile to myself when wafting past a car with a lone bloke in it thinking that he may very well be thinking 'I wish that was me', just like I used to years ago.. Appreciate what you have.. :)

Offline Sofa

Re: What's your unusual biking pleasure?
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2012, 21:14:34 »
Cool-ish morning, dry road, damp air, riding a big jap single feeling the motor running really crisply thanks to the dense/cold air. Even able to sense the motor getting sharper as you get into the countryside and the air gets a few degrees cooler.
I do still long for my old bikes, Suzuki SP400, Yamaha XT500, Armstrong MT500 and even my Matchless G80 Rotax (which at 2 years old and only 600 miles on the clock was the newest bike I have ever owned and the most unreliable).

cool-ish can't type cold as it changes it to great!!!!!!do we have to have this weird spelling thing not aware BM Riders forum has these issues and they use the same format/ provider/ host thing (I think)
Outfits for Rallys and Touring, Solos for everything else. https://sites.google.com/site/yorkshireoutbacksidecar/

Offline Sven

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2012, 21:42:02 »
Quote from: "Sofa"
cool-ish can't type cold as it changes it to great!!!!!!do we have to have this weird spelling thing not aware BM Riders forum has these issues and they use the same format/ provider/ host thing (I think)

Personally I think its really cooI........ lol

Here you go, have a few on me ....cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI  :thumb:

Offline Sofa

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2012, 21:43:34 »
how you do dat den?
Outfits for Rallys and Touring, Solos for everything else. https://sites.google.com/site/yorkshireoutbacksidecar/

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2012, 21:44:37 »
cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI cooI
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2012, 22:36:42 »
cooI .... Easy really.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Sofa

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2012, 00:57:01 »
cool

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2012, 01:18:39 »
great
The word you're looking for is "cooI"
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2012, 01:35:06 »
hehe... cooI... works for me too! (took me a minute or so to figure it out though!) :)

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2012, 01:38:10 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
hehe... cooI... works for me too! (took me a minute or so to figure it out though!) :)
Well, that's why you're a Mac and I'm a PC!

Offline Sofa

« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2012, 01:54:52 »
Sorry blokes. As a biker I seem to be in the wrong place. This is clearly a place for geeks, nerds and the arrogantly unhelpful who occasionally ride motorcycles, who have done so for a couple of years since the mid life crisis set in and they saw The wrong way round on the telly. I sold my R1100GS long before the thespians acted their way round the world. What the hell do I know, I only spend 10 to 12 hours a day out on the roads.

(yeah I've had a few beers)

You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2012, 02:55:18 »
Sofa, my previous post was the coninuation of an inside joke between myself and Matt.

The trick we're using is that we're replacing the "o" character with a different (identical) one. It looks exactly the same but the computer code behind it is different, and so the text filter doesn't pick up on it. Yes, it's geeky, nerdy and all that... but that's the "trick".

As for the references to "long way round" etc. Well, neither Matt nor myself have had a midlife crisis (indeed, neither of us is at our "mid life" quite yet). I certainly haven't ever owned a BMW motorcycle (after the nightmare their shitty cars have been for me, I never will either). I ride both for pleasure and business, I take it very seriously, it's not just some toy I roll out on sunny days to appease some small penis complex or whatever you care to suggest. I for one ride all year round, in all weather (asides from ice because I'm not stupid and suicidal enough). I don't even wear heated gear like some choose to; and that doesn't make them "soft" or whatever criticism you - as clearly a superior and more "tough" rider - would like to suggest, it just means they want to live longer and not die of pneumonia before they reach the age of 60.

Also, you've just had a few... so I hope you're not intending to go for a ride or I'd suggest that this probably isn't the place for you, a prison cell is (again, that's only if your intent is to drink and ride).

</rant> :obscene-drinkingchug:

Offline Sofa

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2012, 09:56:50 »
Less "tired and emotional" this morning. Just thought there was something obvious I had missed and you chaps were taking the Mick.
Been middle aged for years, started riding BMW's in my early thirties and never had a bad one yet, heated gloves yes, well the arthritis in my hands does get worse in the winter, ice, yeah great get the outfit out and go for a slide about, just about to do that now actually , off to get an M.O.T. on it.
My mid life crisis was solved by putting a sidecar on my bike to make it more difficult to ride!!

As for drink driving. Knocked off a 125 in my early twenties by a drunk in a hire car coming torwards me turning right across my path, outside a Police Station, broken shoulder, broken wrist, shattered elbow, lost my job etc.
As a lorry driver I am really anti drink drive and taking a tacho break in a lay-by next to a pub a couple of years ago saw a bloke come out,stagger up the road, steady himself on the fence, reach his car and spend an undue amount of time getting the key in the door, I did make a safe, hands free, parked with the engine off phone call to advise the local bobbies of his reg and direction of travel.

Offline loggamatt

What's your unusual biking pleasure?
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2012, 10:14:46 »
I was replacing the 'l' with a capital 'I'... But other than that I agree largely with LaKraven :-)

No offence intended Sofa mate... The cooI thing was frustrating me too until I worked out how the others were doing it. Oh, and geek is a fair assessment of me, but BMW rider? How dare you sir! ;-)

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2012, 10:27:16 »
Sorry blokes. As a biker I seem to be in the wrong place. This is clearly a place for geeks, nerds and the arrogantly unhelpful who occasionally ride motorcycles, who have done so for a couple of years since the mid life crisis set in and they saw The wrong way round on the telly. I sold my R1100GS long before the thespians acted their way round the world. What the hell do I know, I only spend 10 to 12 hours a day out on the roads.

(yeah I've had a few beers)

Heh! Heh!  Beer ! :lala:  :)))   Been there while posting - I always regret it lol  (I just talk more shite than usual :obscene-drinkingdrunk: )

there's a wide range of bikers on here - from young and older who haven't passed their tests, to those who commute 200 miles a day all year on their Stroms, or middle aged ones like me who have had a licence for almost 40 years, ridden countries all around the world, never been without a bike, but only manage 4 or 5000 miles a year due to injuries/committments etc. It's all one, though, I learn stuff from the new blokes all the time (even bits of computer-talk!). The BMW banter is mostly light-hearted for most of us, because the collective identity recognises the Stroms as cheaper, but vastly underrated bikes, and we kind of like that feeling! Some lads have had bad experiences with modern BMs, many haven't; some go on to trade-in a Strom for a BMW and there's a bit of piss-taking, but (imo) it's nowt, honest!

EDIT: Just read back the previous page and that whole 'c-o-ol' thing was feckin annoying! :grin:

So here goes: c00l  -  eh? that's not it! Bollocks man! Aghh - it'll dee! :angry-tappingfoot:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Sofa

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2012, 13:40:22 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
The BMW banter is mostly light-hearted for most of us, because the collective identity recognises the Stroms as cheaper, but vastly underrated bikes, and we kind of like that feeling! Some lads have had bad experiences with modern BMs,
Yes exactly, modern BM's just ain't the same as the old ones.
A mate of mine spoke to a bloke on the BMW stand at a show thinking he'd wind him up a bit he said he had a complaint, his BMW had only done 311,000 miles and now needed some work on the engine, the BM bloke immediately said ah yes sir your bike is probably an R80/7 then, we couldn't afford to make a bike of that quality nowadays.

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2012, 14:17:07 »
It's because they realised in the 90's that you can make far more money by spending less and making the customer pay more.

"You get what you pay for" hasn't applied for a long time, and the inverse is now true! The more you pay for something, the more it's going to cost long-term and the poorer the overall quality.

VW cars for example. They're expensive compared to similar cars from other companies, even the exact same cars with different badges like Skoda and SEAT, but you go one day past that service schedule (which absolutely MUST be carried out by a registered VW service centre as they're the only ones with the computer capable of resetting the service system) and the eletronics will spontainiously combust. You tell me that's not an "engineered failure" for the sake of making money! You'd be wrong, because I know for a fact that it is!
It was hard to engineer these failures back in the 80's when cars were almost entirely mechanical... so they "upgrade" designs to include computers that can be programmed to break, are cheap to build yet with such a high markup it's often cheaper to replace the car than replace the broken electronics. Of course, unless you're the programmer who engineered these failures into the ECU and ABS controllers (the two most common failures on modern German cars, hint hint) you can't prove it's malicious. Incompetance is easily faked these days! That's the benefit of being a systems engineer... you get to know all the tricks inscrupulous companies are willing to pay you for! Should point out that while I've frequently been asked to do unethical things for the sake of making a client more money, my sense of morality is such that I always refuse (to my financial detriment, but it isn't worth my soul - so to speak)

That's why I like simple cars! Ones that are almost entirely mechanical, with few to no computerized/electrical parts. Tough as nails and easy to fix.

Offline Sofa

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2012, 23:17:59 »
Oops looks like my problems with cooI have prematurely ended this thread so here goes, another unusual pleasure.
Riding an outfit to an event and arriving as the cruiser riders are strutting about or sports riders hobbling. Slipping the clutch so some attention is gained, turning into the parking area and as folk look up waggle the bars so it looks like its going into a tank slapper and I appear to have lost control. Then turning left, opening the throttle and lifting the sidecar while trying to appear that I am still loosing control. riding round on two wheels for a bit until I get level with a parking space, dropping the chair down then nailing the back brake on the bike so the whole thing turns right like the bike in Tron and comes to rest in the chosen spot.
Arrrhhhh, yes, you might have a bigger/faster/shinier bike than me but I bet you can't do that!!!

Offline BluesBoy

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2012, 23:35:31 »
^^ now that is c.o.o.l (great)!

I like standing up on the footpegs as I hurdle speed bumps. Sometimes pretending to be Frankie Dettori without the drugs or italian accent or whip for that matter.....

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2012, 20:52:37 »
The best bit about biking for me is accelerating up hills, any hill, any speed, just the sense of gathering speed as you defy gravity's best efforts always brings a smile  :)

Even better if some corners are involved on the hill too  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'