Author Topic: rear subframe  (Read 672 times)

Offline Upright

rear subframe
« on: July 10, 2012, 21:10:29 »
Anyone had any issues or heard of overloading of the rear subframe?

Just looked at it this evening - say 10kgs in each bag, a fully suited up passenger, the mighty iron ore exhaust and what looks like half my arse, the footpegs must be a kilo each and then you hits a bump.
Am I being a girl?
It's not my fault, it's your fault. I told you I was stupid but you didn't listen!

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
Re: rear subframe
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:22:08 »
Never seen any issues.

Had me, the Mrs, full panniers and full topbox on a short outing several years ago, had no bother, total all up weight in the region of 250kgs....I travel solo now, so don't reach those heights anymore.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 14:35:42 »
Those load limits aren't about breaking things. They are about how they affect the handling of the bike. Putting much weight far from the center of mass can make the tail wag the dog. In 2006, I wanted to see how fast the bike would go on a miles long straight stretch of the I-80 motorway in Nevada when there wasn't another car in sight. I had a large windscreen and three pieces of full luggage mounted. The bike initiated a tank slapper when I released the throttle after reaching an indicated 119mph and threw me off.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Upright

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 19:01:30 »
Did you get it slowed at all, or did that make it worse. 119 is very fast to hit the deck, you shouldn't be here.

glad you are though
It's not my fault, it's your fault. I told you I was stupid but you didn't listen!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 21:08:03 »
It seemed like it took a long time to go down but the adrenaline rush really slows down the perception of events. I figure the actual speed was more like 109mph and the wild gyrations the bike went through probably got me down to double digits. What save me was good gear and the fact most of the energy was diminished by sliding down the road. A sudden stop would have killed me. I slid and rolled a long way. My left hand and wrist were broken, my left shoulder separated and I got small patches of road rash around my suit armor. My right sleeve was pushed up past my elbow and I got road rash over a large fraction of my right forearm and elbow. If I didn't have armored ballistic gear on, I would have wound up in the burn unit with skin taken off much of my body and may not have survived.

I won't go over 80-85mph with luggage again, as luggage manufacturers have specified. I still have fun riding but don't feel any urge to push the envelope. Taking unnecessary chances, even for a few seconds, can really hurt. I also learned polyester suit material melts into skin with friction, good wrist and ankle closures are required to keep limbs from being bared, and every section of a full face helmet can come out of a crash looking like it went through a belt sander, especially the chin.

A V-Strom is a whole lot more stable with a fork brace and, except for the Glee, has aerodynamics that lighten the front at speed. If I had a fork brace and the front lowered a little, the whole incident may never have started and I would still be taking the occasional stupid risk. I had other bad things happen from "seeing how fast the bike would go" but didn't get scared enough to learn from them. Having had one tank slapper, I have a Scotts steering stabiliser installed but probably have never pushed it since.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Steve33

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:13:13 »
Can I just say: OUCH! :shock:

Sounds like a good lesson learned about aerodynamics and dynamic stability. One problem with modern bikes is that 100+ MPH feels fine until it all goes wrong - then you realise it's actually quite fast.

Glad the result wasn't any worse.
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline Upright

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 22:16:40 »
I have some experience of the aftermath of accidents in relation to the human body. With all accidents big accidents luck is a major factor in survival.

Interesting point about the friction build-up and the materials reaction to same.

I have a policy of trying to learn from other peoples experiences (goes against human nature!).