Author Topic: to scottoiler or not to scottoiler  (Read 2695 times)

Offline kungfupoodle

to scottoiler or not to scottoiler
« on: July 08, 2012, 20:36:37 »
I've got a scottoiler off my old bike and all the bits so could probably fix it to the wee. I'm just not sure whether to bother. At least if I have to oil it manually I might clean the chain occasionally :-)

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
Re: to scottoiler or not to scottoiler
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 20:56:50 »
I'd fit it if it were me , saves a lot of messing about with manual lubing . I have one on mine that's been on my last 5-6 bikes . If I was to buy a new oiler I'd try the PD Oiler out ...

Offline Oldie

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 21:06:20 »
Inherited an electronic scottoiler and I have to say it's fantastic. Chain is always in good nick and you rarely have to adjust it (4000 miles under my ownership and it's never even been close to needing the slack taken up). I wouldn't be without one. In fact, I treat the bike as though it was a shaftie.

I also have the vacuum type and find it a bit fiddly to get the adjustment spot on.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 21:13:42 »
I had one on the V-strom but let it go when I sold it. back end was always very oily. On the Versys  I'm using silkolene lube around every 200miles or so. Spray can, very light lube unlike the other really sticky one's I've tried. Seems to be working a treat and only takes a few minutes every week to apply
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline Strommer

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 21:53:39 »
It's a good way to get rid of old engine oil.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:29:45 »
In my experience the vacuum operated one was utter **** that I'd actually take the bother to remove and bin if a bike ever came with one.  When working it sprayed gallons of overpriced sticky oil all over. Fortunately it soon leaked down and lost it's prime and ceased to function. Re-priming was a half hour, mess, noisy horror of a job.

Compare the time and costs and I'd say it was about even. The Scotoiler is a PITA to fit, takes longer to fill, has exposed components (tiny little tube near the chain) and costs the same to buy as the extra chain you might get through in the normal service life of the bike. Shaft is a lottery, change the oil as part of a big service and you save time and cash over the chains, but get a failure and the savings go up smoke big style. Yamaha Tenere or on a Guzzi I'd entertain it, on BMW's it reduces their chance of selling me a bike.

I think the advances in chain technology and spray cans in the last ten years send Scotoilers the way of tinned wax you had to boil up on your mums stove. Non-sticky spray can every 500 miles and a clean down with kerosene at the oil change/adjustment interval for me.

Andy

Offline frez

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 12:50:39 »
Depends on your mileage.

I use a PD Oiler which I think is a better product than the Scottoiler, but they both are designed to do the same job.

I do 125 miles a day and I can't be bothered with re-oiling the chain every couple of days, so for me it is a no-brainer to use some kind of automated solution. However, if I was doing 125 miles a week then I would think about doing the job manually every couple of weeks instead. If I didn't have a centre stand then the pendulum would swing back in favour of an automated device simply because getting the bike on a paddock stand is a 2 person job to do safely.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline butz2012

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 17:40:18 »
My two pennys worth....

if I had a scottoiler I id fit it. I've had a chain go rusty during a spell of long distance riding, despite spraying chain oil on it frequently. the chain bounced of the front sprocket and smashed the oil transfer pipe. I'm now quite paranoid about chains.
I do agree about the fitment and the price of scottoilers, despite them being a decent bit of kit, I have however taken to buying the tutoro alternative which is 3rd of the price and very easy to fit.
I still find the nozzle system of the scottoiler better though, so tend to buy a those bits in the spares section...
incidentaly, there is a section on the tutoro website about using different oils, puts some perspective on what you can get away with.

I reckon you could take a couple of hours tinkering in the garage whilst it rains outside....
Eat wierd things, Talk to wierd people, Travel to wierd places... Normal is over rated!

Offline kungfupoodle

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 18:23:36 »
Thanks for the opinions. I bought it for my CB because it had an aftermarket exhaust and no centre stand. Now I have a centre stand I think for the mileage I do I will pop it on ebay and get myself a few quid.

Offline macvisual

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 18:46:32 »
I'd say it's worth the (slight) hassle of fitting it, once it's done it's easy to look after topping it up wise, and your chain will benefit big time.

Go for it!!!
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 18:49:30 »
I think the same , couple of hrs to do a nice neat fit and a few rides to get it set-up ..Then forget .

Offline JamesC

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 11:53:11 »
Wouldn't be without my scottoiler. Suppose a lot depends on how many miles you do but I really can't be arsed using chain lube. My last bike, a 1200 bandit, had 54,000 miles with a scottoiler and still had it's original chain and sprockets which hardly had any wear. Still had loads of life left. Can't remember exactly how many 500ml bottles of oil I'd gone through but it was around 4 or 5

James

Offline 55JAMPOT

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 20:03:51 »
Fit the scottoiler if you have one, certainly will extend the chain life, my original vee chain went for 23500 miles before it need replacing, sold my old VFR with 30K and the chain was good as new but it was a much smoother engine than the vee and easier on the chain, as for the oil, use chain saw oil £5.99 a ltr from Machine Mart or the likes, bu###ed if I can see or feel the difference between that and Scottoil. :text-givemebeer:

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 21:01:44 »
I've got a lubetronic eletronic oiler, unfortunately it can be a bit too fit and forget sometimes, I ran it dry a few months ago  :shy:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline BRabbit

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 23:31:37 »
Anyone had any experience of Tutoro chain oilers - manual or automatic:

http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

I had a vacuum-operated Scottoiler on my previous bike and it really made a difference to chain and sprocket life and minimised the need for chain adjustment.  Problem is that the Wee would require the electronic version of the Scottoiler which is expensive (£200+).  The Tutoro automatic oiler is about £40.00 - which is a good price - if it works.
2012 Suzuki V-Strom GT
2009 Suzuki Burgman 400
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet EFI DL
2006 Di Blasi R7E

Offline Oldie

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 23:37:06 »
I had a basic Tutoro on my Bonnie and it's definitely worth the money, just have to remember to turn it off.

My Versys came with the electronic Scottoiler and it's really fantastic, but don't know if I'd pay the money to have a new one fitted. It is a brilliant piece of kit though.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 23:43:35 »
Have the V system Scotoiler fitted to my wee, so I don't know where you got the info for the Electric only on a Strom?  Who ever told you was wrong lol  :shrug:

Fill mine up every 3 weeks or so, fill and forget, I use the cheapest chainsaw oil I can find, costs a fraction of the branded bike chain oil, and don't fling half as much as the scotoil stuff.
rub a bit of oil over the side plates.
currently on 17k for the current chain and looking fine

Ride Coordinator

Offline BRabbit

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 00:10:29 »
Oldie:  thanks - good to know that the basic Tutoro actually works.

Mr D:  you're absolutely right - just revisited the Scottoiler website and found that they've now got V-kit fitting instructions for the 2012 Wee:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68610751/V-Strom/Suzuki_DL650%20V-Strom%20%202012%20Onwards_Scottoiler%20vSystem_English16-4-2012.pdf

A few weeks back they only showed fitting instructions for the E-kit.

So - £40 Tutoro or £90 Scottoiler - hmmmm  :eusa-think:
2012 Suzuki V-Strom GT
2009 Suzuki Burgman 400
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet EFI DL
2006 Di Blasi R7E

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 00:21:30 »
that pdf is a cop out as well lol- 2012 onwards and there's an old style wee pictured lol  :angry-tappingfoot:

both bikes have basically the same frame, engine (a few mods) and running gear.
all covered with a shinny new curvy body.

Ride Coordinator

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:04 »
Chain ???   :neen:

I was never a fan of oilers despite the claimed miraculous chain life. I found from experience they would deliver too much one day and too little the next. A good lube (I used to use Wurth dry) never gave any trouble and never covered the rear tyre in oil either !
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'