Author Topic: Chain & Sprocket kits v buying separately  (Read 997 times)

Offline Chris Graves

• Bike: V-Strom DL 650, ZZR 1100, Honda CRF250L
Chain & Sprocket kits v buying separately
« on: July 08, 2012, 13:49:04 »
Chain & sprockets kits are obviously cheaper than buying separately but has anyone any idea of the general quality of the sprockets supplied.  If the sprockets are cheap and nasty it might be better to buy, for example, Renthal sprockets as they seem a quality product and are a damn sight cheaper than Suzuki ones, and a DID chain.  Also is there any real advantage in fitting gold chains over ordinary ones and are X ring chains worth the extra cost over O ring chains.

It was so much easier years ago as there was hardly any choice,now it's just decisions, decisions.

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
Re: Chain & Sprocket kits v buying separately
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 14:46:05 »
Here's the difference between o and x ring  http://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/btr-t ... ing-chains
X Ring has 2 contact areas , so is considered the better option .
Think this is the same as mine ....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evokit-X-RING ... 3cc8127516
and this come with the rivet tool
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evokit-Suzuki ... 3cc7cdf5e6

Most kits will come with chromoly front and carbon steel rear sprocket.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 14:55:19 »
I bought a kit. steel rear cog. alloy front.
no wear on the rear but front was toast in 12k miles.
ill be buying soon again. but this time I might look at the cost of a kit plus a renthal front sprocket vs chain an sprockets seperate.
I have looked at kits and they picture renthal sprockets, but state you will have a renthal or an other make that's a bit shit. guess which one everyone gets.
I may have a look to see if there's a kit that only will be supplied with renthal sprockets.
z ring gold will go on again. lasted longer than the oem one and didn't go rusty. but the gold bits do wear off of you scrub them. lol

Ride Coordinator

Offline Strommer

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 16:54:43 »
If you go for separates, then the OEM front sprocket is the only one I'm aware of that has the rubber cushioning that keeps the noise down.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline greywolf

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 17:12:21 »
Street riders need to stick with steel sprockets. I've never even heard of alloy front sprockets, only rears. I'm surprised an alloy front lasted that long. Once the thin layer of hard anodizing is worn through, the rest of the metal wears at a furious rate.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 18:29:38 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
I've never even heard of alloy front sprockets
possibly a british thing- were stingy and places used to get away with selling us crap and we'll be British and take it. But I know from work people are starting to want top quality and pay nothing for it. We'll I do too when not in work! lol

Quote from: "greywolf"
Once the thin layer of hard anodizing is worn through, the rest of the metal wears at a furious rate.
don't I know it.   cleaned behind the cover, all as it should be and a month later-  bugger, that's worn, need to change asap.
All this talk of chains is making want to steal my dad's Deauville- I like shaft drive. no messing around.

Ride Coordinator