Author Topic: Give me advise on fork springs/oil .  (Read 984 times)

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
Give me advise on fork springs/oil .
« on: July 04, 2012, 22:16:37 »
I've decided to change the fork springs and oil to improve the ride , its a lot more complex than first thought . What springs have you fitted ? and what weight oil ?
I'm about 14.5 stone and don't know what spec springs I'll need .. :shrug:

yes , and I know I'm overweight .

Offline Sven

Give me advise on fork springs/oil .
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 00:19:50 »
Hagon progressive springs & 7.5 wt oil. ( as suggested by Hagon).
I'm same weight as you.

Offline 73bm73

Re: Give me advise on fork springs/oil .
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:25:03 »
Wirth progressive fork springs and SAE10-oil (as recommended by Wirth)
about 100kg :shy:
works perfect - for me

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:36:08 »
I have Yacugar progressive springs and I use 15W oil though I think 10W was just that little better (it greatly depends on the oil you use, I use Silkolene RSF Pro, it's synthetic.) I will put the 10W in next time again as I was happiest with that. The Yacugar springs are stiff, more so than the Wirth ones, but not overly so. They are great, but I'm a almost too lightweight for them at 12 stone. They are lovely 2 up and I'd wager someone of your weight would be happy with them solo (not that I'm not, I like solid suspension.) I was going to go for the Wirth ones, but I had problems getting hold of them so went with the Yacugar ones in stead as I got a good deal at the time. I thought the Hagon ones were too soft, judging by the figures I got from Hagon. They were barely higher rated than stock ones, BUT they would be much better quality than the stock ones and won't degrade like the stock ones did (they put the cheapest ones in as stock to keep costs down.) So I guess what I am saying is that if you can get a good price on Hagon ones, go for it as it will be a major improvement and you probably won't notice much difference between them and the higher priced ones. If you search the Oily Rag section for a thread called "DL650 Suspension" then you'll find a thread where I document all my antics about upgrading the front and rear suspension on my Wee. Once you've done the front you'll notice how sad the rear is, a Hyperpro spring for the rear is the cheapest way to sort that :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Locky

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 19:16:29 »
Thanks Juv , already got the Hyperpro spring on the rear .. My local bike mechanic also advised for Hagon springs so I've just ordered them , £80 straight from Hagon .

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 10:53:38 »
You fitting them yourself or paying someone to do it?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Locky

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 18:09:01 »
I'll be doing them myself , I'm on call this weekend but if its quiet I'll start tomorrow .that's if they get delivered .

Offline Locky

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 15:36:41 »
They turned up this morning and got them fitted along with the 7.5w Hagon oil . The old oil from each fork was totaly different colours ! LH was a shitty brown colour and the RH was a grey colour , must have had a new fork seal at some point and they only done the one  :crazy:   . wouldn't be surprised if the LH oil was the original. I flushed them out with some clean engine oil that's been in the garage for yrs and then hung them upside down for about a hr to let it all drain out . It only took about a hr to get it all back together . Went for a short ride and could tell a difference straight away , it feels more planted to the road and feels more sturdy compared to before . The springs and oil from Hagon came to £89 with free delivery .

Offline JtheBs

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:03:26 »
This'll be one of the first mods I'll be doing. I uprated the fork springs to Hagon progressives on my (much modified/customised) CB500 and was amazed at the difference...
Ride safe,
Paul M