Author Topic: Non Starter  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Freelander

Non Starter
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:34:18 »
As the title says, and the bike's just over a year old  :bawl:

It's at the dealers now, and I'll post the fault when it's back, but I'll tell you the symptoms and then keep you in suspense.

Got all my gear on last Monday to go to work (lateshift), climbed on board (it's not the seat height that gets my short legs in trouble, it's the width of the seat), thumbed the starter and 'click'. My first thought was a flat battery due to the first owner wiring the grips direct to the battery and the on/off led being so hard to see in daylight. So I had to get all me bike gear off (now sweating) and jump in the car...

So next day I'm out with the jump leads, but still only getting a click from the starter relay. Volt meter on the battery shoows it's still holding over 12v, so next thing I tried was a jump lead direct to the starter motor positive (it's in the manual..) from the battery positive and still no movement. So I called the dealer, who told me it was still under Suzuki warranty and they'd come and collect it....

So if it's the starter motor, has anyone else had problems with them? It's a bit exposed on the front of the engine like that, and the positive cable hasn't got a very water-proof cover, is it a common fault?

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
Re: Non Starter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:56:30 »
There was someone on here that replaced the starter motor a few months ago , don't think its that common for them to fail though . I cleaned and greased the connector on mine as it is exposed to the elements and as you say the rubber cover will still let in water ...

Juv and Greywolf will soon be along with their input ..

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 14:21:55 »
I'm retired and check all the V-Strom fora daily to keep myself busy. In the last six years, I've encountered fewer actual starter motor problems than I can count on one hand.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:52:31 »
Check the main earth. I know someone not a million miles from where I am now who once spent hours getting to a Triumph starter motor to find all was well but the main earth wire between engine and battery wasn't up to the current draw. Lights etc. all worked, the solenoid clicked and the bike could be bumped, just no starter because it needs a clean earth.

Easy test, take a jump wire from the battery negative to the engine case as near to the starter as possible and press the button.

Andy

Offline Freelander

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 20:30:43 »
Well just for info, here's the latest news....

My bike is still in the dealers, they're awaiting new parts, they've diagnosed it as the starter motor, fingers crossed it should arrive tomorrow and we'll know one way or another, for the good of us all I'll keep you posted, if they say it still won't start I'll suggest the earth lead test, though you have to wonder on a bike that's only 14 months old.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 20:45:27 »
never had a problem with my wee, but 2 times on my 125. Once was a unplugged connector on the starter button, right by the grip. The other was the safety cut out tilt switch, which became faulty . It
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 22:29:24 »
Tell them you want the old starter motor. Have somebody check it out. I don't trust dealers.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 08:28:31 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
Tell them you want the old starter motor. Have somebody check it out. I don't trust dealers.

Excellent point, greywolf! Good luck, Freelander... :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:16:13 »
+1 for getting the old bits. I wouldn't go as far as sending it somewhere for a test (would just do it myself), but simply having it so that you know they actually replaced it is better than wondering about it. My good lady always think I'm being daft when I tell her to tell the people who service her car to put any old bits in the boot (except for fluids.) I think just asking for something like that before they do it keeps them honest because they know there is a chance they can be caught if they cheat you so they won't.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline frez

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:19:20 »
won't they replace it under warranty if the bike is only 14 months old?
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 13:56:21 »
Hmm, true, I was speaking more in general, but if it's under warranty the costs are on them so I wouldn't care about the bits. I've never had a car/bike that's had manufacturer warranty so  I don't think along those lines :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Freelander

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 20:47:47 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
They can stick the old starter motor up their rusty sheriffs badge for all I care (pm for an explanation of that term if you don't understand  lol ), the bike's under warranty and as long as I get it back soon before the rains come again I'll be happy  :)

Still nothing today, I've been on nightshift this week, by the time I was up and awake (not the same thing in my case) they were probably in their local ale house.....

No dis-respect is meant or intended in the answer to this thread
Calls may be monitored for training porpoises.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 21:48:41 »
Being under warranty is a different matter. Those having expensive fixes not under warranty can use the advice.

Mostly, I was interested in seeing if this was actually an exceedingly rare case of a bad starter motor or the much more common case of a dealer misdiagnosis.

Offline Freelander

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 21:05:31 »
Latest update, it's such a rare problem that they can't give me a date yet for the new part, and they have offered me a bike to use till mine is fixed.
I did humbly suggest the earth lead, and they said they'd tested that, I wonder what Suzuki UK would have to say if I contacted them, anyone had any dealings with them by going direct?

Offline Freelander

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 20:34:34 »
Well, I did contact Suzuki UK, and they actually phoned me at work on Friday to apologise for the delay, and to tell me a starter motor was on it's way to the dealers and should be there on Saturday morning.

That was the good news.

The bad news was their workshop is shut until Wednesday due to the Jubilee Bank Holiday  :groan:

Offline bencav

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 21:01:38 »
'rusty sheriffs badge'  lol

Akin to my use of the term 'rusty bolt hole'

Which dealer  did you take it to? They seem to be doing an OK job at getting you sorted!

Offline Freelander

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 00:20:55 »
Quote from: "bencav"
'rusty sheriffs badge'  lol

Akin to my use of the term 'rusty bolt hole'

Which dealer  did you take it to? They seem to be doing an OK job at getting you sorted!

It's Newcastle Motorcycles who are doing the warranty work, who I bought it from back in January.

They do seem to be doing their best, but what can they do if Suzuki have no stock? But as I told Suzuki UK, I work for Nissan, and if we need to get parts from Japan, we can have them in two days.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 19:06:47 »
That might have been your strom I glimpsed outside Newcastle Motorcycles today about 2.45?

BTW -Try WD40 and elbow grease for all these rust problems you lads are having  :old:  :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 17:50:47 »
The conversation has gone from some poor blokes bike not starting to bum holes  lol

Offline Freelander

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 23:56:38 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
That might have been your Strom I glimpsed outside Newcastle Motorcycles today about 2.45?

BTW -Try WD40 and elbow grease for all these rust problems you lads are having  :old:  :thumb:

That might have been, was it crying for it's master like an abandoned puppy?

They did call to say it's ready, but I'll not get it back until Tuesday, but as it's raining hard enough to wash the down off a duck I'm not that worried, at least I know it's fixed  :lala:  :lala:  :lala: