Author Topic: Which chain lube?  (Read 7339 times)

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
Re: Which chain lube?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 14:26:41 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
...every week or 200-300 miles I clean the chain with White spirit ...
That's interesting - I wondered about white spirit. Is there any way it could harm the chain? I have used paraffin and regular chain cleaner to good effect but the appeal of white spirit is that it is cheap and something I always seem to have!

Offline frez

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 14:49:02 »
I use parafin/kerosene.

The jury is out on white spirits (mineral spirits in the US), some say it will damage the o-rings, many use it without problems. Personaly, I think even if long term exposure to it would deteriorate an o-ring you are going to be safe because you are not soaking the chain in it for a long time and any excess will evaporate off anyway.

If the white spirit can get passed the o-ring it will disolve the grease, but that is the same with any chain cleaner.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 17:14:30 »
WD-40 sounds too good to be true, esp in the rain, or going through a ford, you'd have a chain lubed with H2O after that, surely? Apparently that stuff lubricates tectonic plates, though...so maybe ; )

Hell, I suppose the proof is in the pud, eh? 6000 miles in all weather must mean it works better than I would have expected...next thing is longevity. How do the sprockets look?
Bet the inside of your clutch cover is sparkly clean Abercol :grin:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Gordon T

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 18:15:12 »
Used a Scottoiler filled with chainsaw oil. Never had a chain go in less than 30k miles. Yes you read that correctly, 30K miles. The oil is quite cheap and doesn't fling as much as other so called `non fling` oils. Although I'm sure if I used a Renthal chain it might have lasted 3000 miles.
Whoooosh!!!!!! `What was that?` That was your life passing by. `Can I have another go as I havent done anything yet?`........ Sorry, only one go for everyone.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 00:12:39 »
Motohaus are giving away a small can of S-Doc 100 chain lube for the cost of postage (£1). See here: http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/MCN_Ch ... Offer.html

Offline Strommer

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 07:05:25 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
WD-40 sounds too good to be true, esp in the rain, or going through a ford, you'd have a chain lubed with H2O after that, surely...

In my cycling days one of my mates would always lube with WD40.  When it rained he was a liability as he would stop every half-hour to re-lube.  Either that or his drivetrain would seize after an hour and we'd have to squirt some 3in1 onto his chain so we could get home.  Every effing week..... :angry-tappingfoot:

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 13:13:51 »
Quote from: "SimonW"
Motohaus are giving away a small can of S-Doc 100 chain lube for the cost of postage (£1). See here: http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/MCN_Ch ... Offer.html

Cheers Simon! Just ordered mine, always useful for under the saddle.... :thumb:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline jstrom

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 21:16:25 »

Got to be worth a quid. Just ordered one...

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 17:29:46 »
Chain ?   :neen:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline jstrom

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 08:52:54 »

£1 chain lube arrived this morning. Its the perfect size for carrying on the bike & a right bargain....

Offline Sea-Strom

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 20:42:41 »
I used spray grease from Pound World last time. It is non fling and has kept my chain looking and working great. £1 per tin full price and enough to do about 4 chains. Don't knock it until you have tried it! I wonder sometimes if we pay through the nose for top branded products. Just a thought.

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 20:52:51 »
My small tin of spray lube came, too...cheers for the pointer simonw. I've never seen that stuff in poundland, you get occasional bargains there, but stuff I have obtained from the place frequently turns out shite. Might try a collapsible camping mug , but wouldn't trust their grease on me chain, its pretty much vital! :shrug:  :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Sea-Strom

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 22:19:41 »
My small tin of spray lube came, too...cheers for the pointer simonw. I've never seen that stuff in poundland, you get occasional bargains there, but stuff I have obtained from the place frequently turns out shite. Might try a collapsible camping mug , but wouldn't trust their grease on me chain, its pretty much vital! :shrug:  :)
I am interested in your diagnosis. The bike runs smooth and it seems well lubed after a good few miles - what am I compromising here? I have used Pound World's version of WD40 and found it virtually identical . Do you suspect there is some harmful additive or are you working on the assumption it can't be any good because it's cheap. My SV650 was a lot cheaper than other 600cc Jap bikes but I believe just as good. Just wondering.

Offline SimonW

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 22:34:59 »
Quote from: "jstrom"
£1 chain lube arrived this morning. Its the perfect size for carrying on the bike & a right bargain....
Mine too, along with some vouchers for free SDoc chain cleaner if you buy a big can of SDoc chain lube and one offering 12.5% off anything on www.bykebitz.co.uk in May and June.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 23:22:58 »
WooHoo, just checked the mail box, mines arrived too...must be good stuff, Dr Wack says so!  :shrug:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline SimonW

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 23:26:13 »
Quote from: "Ptarmigan"
WooHoo, just checked the mail box, mines arrived too...must be good stuff, Dr Wack says so!  :shrug:
:clap:  lol @ Dr Wack

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 23:34:25 »
Quote from: "Sea-Strom"
I am interested in your diagnosis. The bike runs smooth and it seems well lubed after a good few miles - what am I compromising here? I have used Pound World's version of WD40 and found it virtually identical . Do you suspect there is some harmful additive or are you working on the assumption it can't be any good because it's cheap. My SV650 was a lot cheaper than other 600cc Jap bikes but I believe just as good. Just wondering.

Well, firstly I did say that you get 'occasional bargains' there (and I do!) so it's fairly safe to assume upon careful reading that I do not subscribe to a simple cheap = crap hypothesis.
I ride a V-strom, not a GS ... and you will never hear me bemoaning that situation!

I don't particularly suspect anything in the way of 'harmful additives', or even substances which might have been left out of the compounds involved...I'm just saying I personally don't want to take the risk with a component such as my chain. If Poundland did engine oil, I probably wouldn't use that, unless enough people raved about it.
You've done a 'good few miles' now without apparent adverse effects, sea-strom, and that's encouraging. Maybe keep making observations about the stuff, and we might all be using it soon! :)))

Work Experience Stasi

Offline shedchief

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 12:28:44 »
On the subject of Poundland, this article in 'This is Money' might be of interest. Poundland's chief executive is interviewed and asked how they manage to sell stuff for £1 and where they get it from. I found it very illuminating.

Revealed: Poundlands secret to success.
Keith

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 13:59:30 »
Yes, interesting stuff! I find I'm in there at least once a week because its where my old man insists on going for his weekly sweeties top-up! I got a can of their waterproofing spray, a little can of wd40 for under the tail, and and a water-bag for camping a few weeks ago. Of the 3 only water-bag was duff (more like a hang-up instant shower!). Oh, and a stuf-sac which was falling apart at the seams before I'd quite got it out of the wrapping! that's a 50% hit rate for that week...I personally think the branded stuff they get in bulk (like sugar, in the article, or mints, paracetomol, wd40 etc ) is fine, but stuff which has been made cheaply for the low end of the price-scale can be of dubious or downright poor quality (eg camping stuff).
Just an opinion. (I'm typing this whilst wearing a pair of their unbranded reading glasses lol )

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Sea-Strom

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 18:58:49 »
Went into Pound World (another successful £1 shop) again today and purchased another can of 'Easy Grease'.