Author Topic: Which chain lube?  (Read 7341 times)

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Which chain lube?
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:28:44 »
Years ago there only seemed to be 3 ways of lubing a chain:
1.a tin of black grease you put your chain in and 'cooked' the whole thing like a Fray bentos pie in the oven (stank the house out!) But chain tech has changed, can't do that now anyway...

2. gear oil painted on the chain was a day to day luby solution.

3. Aerosol Chain Lube (semi-synthetic oil) which has so-called 'non-fling' properties. Disgusting stuff, like 'undead' party string.

This last is the one I've been using for years. I confess I'm getting sick of scraping and dissolving the 'non-fling' oil off of my wheel rims and other bits. I also confess to being vaguely aware of newer chain luby stuff out there, but woefully bleedin ignorant beyond that! :shy:   Does anybody have recommendations before I go out and get ripped off for another tin of Non-Fling Technology gunk? :violin:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Dilly

Re: Which chain lube?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:25:02 »
I use Wurth High Performance Dry Chain Lube with no problems  :thumb:

Offline frez

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:27:36 »
If you want to use aerosol lube and not an automatic chain oiler and you want no mess the solution is to use Wurth's High Performance Dry Chain Lube, it's the dogs danglies.

Personally I am too lazy and the stuff ain't cheap so I use a PD Oiler and clean up the rear wheel every six weeks or so.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Dracula

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:57:00 »
Quote from: "frez"

Personally I am too lazy and the stuff ain't cheap so I use a PD Oiler and clean up the rear wheel every six weeks or so.
:thumb:
"There are no ugly women..... Just not enough Vodka!"

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:01 »
+1 for Wurth
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:30:10 »
If you have a few quid to spend a PD Oiler is the way to go for me. Their oil is really nice too, no real mess on my bike since I started using that.

If you're tight on money you can just buy the oil from them and use that. Go to http://www.PTlube.co.uk and get the normal (non "super") oil, it's £7.48 for 500ml (incl. VAT & delivery.) Use paraffin to clean with, I buy it in 4 litre plastic bottles at B&Q for a few quid and it has other uses too.

I've heard good things about Wurth's High Performance Dry Chain Lube, but never used it myself.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:43:29 »
I use a Scottoiler, works a treat for me. I've set it so get a few drips and not alot of fling. After I've cleaned her and degreased the chain I use motul to get some lube on and avoid any rusting. That stuff is good too I find
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline highland strom

• Bike: Suzuki Sv K2 2003.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 13:02:57 »
Wurth high performance dry chain lube I've used it for quite a few years now and find it the best of all chain lubes it also gets top marks in a lot of bike mags you get none of that horrible stickyness which attracts all sorts to your chain turning it into grinding paste, it comes out of the spray can  watery after a good shake and gets into all areas it should "front and rear side plates" and dries leaving a thin film layer, Hunters at westgate rd sells it Gasson £9.50 for a 500ml can.

Offline jstrom

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 17:48:14 »

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 19:46:17 »
Get a oiler Gassoon , no more messing about then . PD oiler or Scottoiler .

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 21:34:42 »
Well, thanks for info and opinions gents, I've ordered some Wurth stuff.......into the 21st century we go!

I think I'll maybe go the oiler route eventually, but one step at a time: I'm still getting used fuel injection, women having the vote, and those phones you can carry around with you, man!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 21:45:03 »
Have a Tuturo lying around in the garage that you can have, but I think manually oiling the chain is less hassle than the Tuturo. Would probably work better for you than it did for me as the distances I did and the temperature extremes I expected it to work through was too much for it. I can send it to you with the bar risers if you want it (when I eventually get off my lazy Donkey and fit my new handle bars.) Just drop me a PM so I can remember to do it if you want it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Steve33

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 12:54:38 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
...get off my lazy donkey...

Americanism filter strikes again?
Or have you got livestock problems?
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 15:32:37 »
It used to change that to arse rather than donkey lol

Offline bencav

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 15:43:04 »
Not a recommendation, more a one to avoid:

Hein Gericke White chain lube

Dries to a hard crust, great on the side plates, but comes straight off the spinning bits (yes, that's the technical mane for the roller thingys!!)

Have tried the castrol one, but found it sticky - will get to hunters and try the Wurth one me thinks!!

Offline Mad Phil

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 16:12:26 »
Always the best for many reasons is someone else's... Not bothered by the make as long as its free  :)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 22:29:46 »
I use Yamaha Chain Lube

and a scotoiler

every week or 200-300 miles I clean the chain with White spirit and give plates a spray over to stop the rusting, and leave the scottoiler take care of the rollers

Ride Coordinator

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 14:43:11 »
Back in my Varadero days, nasty Honda recommended gear oil for chain lube. It is cheap as chips and it made my chain last over 20,000 miles - but it smells like cats piss! especially when warm.

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 19:38:55 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
Back in my Varadero days, nasty Honda recommended gear oil for chain lube. It is cheap as chips and it made my chain last over 20,000 miles - but it smells like cats piss! especially when warm.

Brings back memory of me painting the stuff onto the chain of my Bonnie with me dads best paint-brush - him not happy until I reminded him it had all been his idea (except using his brush!).
I'd also forgotten about the smell - you're right, cats piss!  Worked though, fairly non-fling, and good for marking your territory. :grin:

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 14:10:02 »
I've been using WD-40 for the past 12 mths/6,000 miles...seems to be working a treat and no fling to speak of. Only had to adjust the chain once or twice - I think once after the initial stetch and once just a week or two ago...a few seconds to squirt some on every 200 miles or so.

Just trying it after some bloke on an American forum was raving about it...I was sick of the aerosol fling too.