Author Topic: Best mileage to sell my bike?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline patropsley

Best mileage to sell my bike?
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:40:49 »
Best mileage to sell my bike?

My ex demo 11 wee has now done 7.5k miles (7.2k I've put on since August.) The original plan was to sell her at the the 2 year mark which means she should have around 28k miles on the clock my question is “ would I be better selling her at the end of the summer with 14 /15k miles on the clock ?” - Should I worry about unreliability through the 12 – 24k period? I hit all the regular service points? Any advice appreciated  also any thoughts on reliability in the 24 – 36k miles range?
I paid £4600 so she dosen't owe me too much even at the year mark. Still in great condition thanks to ACF!

Regards

Pat
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline ukiboy

Re: Best mileage to sell my bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:00:42 »
From my experience anything over the 'book mileage' (a pathetic 4k miles per year!) means a dealer will shaft you on part ex values. I put about 7k miles per year on and I've often been insulted by dealers quotes over the years!
If your bike is the main form of transport I'd suggest just using it and running it until its old and worn out. At least that way you've got the most value for money out of it. Its a cheap bike to run and by all accounts on user forums its a very reliable bike so no need to worry about that.
Or, try selling it privately which should maximise your return.

Offline wal750

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 22:30:00 »
just disconnect the speedo then sell it when you're ready as a low mileage machine  :liar:
1986 Honda VFR 750 FG
1986 Yamaha XJ900F

V-strom now sold :-(

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 06:57:59 »
About 85,000 should do the trick. That way you've had some use out of it  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:19:30 »
0 miles but your not going to be able to do that.

I'd agree with 2112- 85k seems nice millage-

but personally I'll either be rebuilding or worse case stripping for parts when 'she' dies.

that line from the 80's TV show (american)

"We can rebuild 'her' we have the technology".

but  yeah a stealer told be xmas time to either keep it and kill it or sell it asap. a bike with +21k miles is worth peanuts- well since xmas there's another 6k gone on her. guess what I'm doing...

my old mans Deauville has done 4k miles since Jan 2007- and it's still worth bugger all, because it's now old. I think as soon as a newer model comes out the old prices tumble. give it another year and I may be looking for a newer (old style) wee. (maybe a written off one  for parts)

I'f your happy with the bike, keep it, ride it and enjoy. when your bored and have a bit of cash to spend then get something new.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Strommer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:15:56 »
I think about the 3.5 year mark and below 20k.  

Reason being that you've got over the first depreciation hump (as you bought "nearly new") and you're avoiding the next hump that comes at the 4.5/5 year mark.

Other key factors are:

- Two big services at 14.5k and 28.5k you'll want to sell before these
- Consumables - tyres and chain and sprocket - these will set you back £500 so try to sell when these have 6 months or 2k miles life in them
- Search engines.... do a search on the sites and you will see that 20k is a search menu item.  It's safe to assume that once you're over 20k and onto the next menu item (be it 25k or 30k) that the market becomes smaller and this will depress prices.

Looking at your mileage I'd say to keep the bike at least another year and not worry about the mileage as £4.6k is still cheaper than similar bikes online.

Buying at £4.6k is a good figure as if you are canny enough you could nearly get your money back on the sale and buy a newer model at the same price.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline WeeStromer

• Bike: DL650 AL2 GLEE, CG125 ES5
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 08:27:00 »
I was given two quotes for mine yesterday against a new strom. first one was £2800 and the second £2500. my wee is on 15500 miles jan 09 on a 58 plate. don't know if that's good or bad but that's what was given. Hope it's of some use.

Offline patropsley

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 14:26:44 »
Thanks for the comments all
I’m not very mechanically mined so I guess selling the bike in 6,8 or 12 months is a bit of a comfort blanket to it not breaking down- I am minded to think about keeping her now and getting regular servicing and seeing where we go. I have a car as back up so can afford the occasional hiccup – I am really delighted with her just the right performance, comfort and fuel economy for me.
It is early days but I think I will just hang on in there If she lasted up to 50k miles (4 years) that would mean she has cost me £25 a week less what ever I could trade her in for at that point ……..there again 5 years would mean she has only cost £19 a week less trade in  :clap: Thanks for your thoughts

Pat
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 14:44:58 »
Check the side bar, I have 88k miles and it's still going strong. Plenty of life left in yours (that feels like a huge understatement) :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline patropsley

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 15:15:08 »
I am aware of your prowess Juvecu  :shy: but there is a big difference between you and I – If you hear a rattle you can investigate and repair I need to take it to a garage as I am a novice (the muffs are still my biggest achievement mechanically speaking)
But reading the comments I shouldn’t worry about it all falling apart at 30k miles. Although I have little faith in the garage I have been using who treat me like a mechanical novice (although I am)

Once out of warranty I am determined to do the basics myself oil, filter etc
Pat

Offline Strommer

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 15:33:54 »
The Strom is my first big bike and as a total novice when I bought mine two years ago, I'd say there is nothing you can't do yourself if you have the time.  It's all about having the time and space to do the work.  The tools pay for themselves.

Just get the big services done by a main dealer that way you'll have that reassurance.  Anything else, this forum will provide.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 15:45:38 »
All it needs is fresh oil, filters (air & oil) and plugs at the scheduled times to keep the engine running well. Make sure the first valve check is done properly and adjusted properly and you don't have to worry about it for the next 50k (after which a check would probably show they are still in spec.)

Mine's not had an easy life, I've been experimenting with oil and I've run 6k-7k service intervals. It's long overdue for a valve check too and get exposed to the worst of weather. I'm not a sympathetic rider either, I'll scream it to the red line through several gears in a moment if I feel like it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline patropsley

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 16:07:28 »
If I am minded to keep her now for a while - what about the 7500 service due next week £200  at wheels in Peterborough – should I start now or when the warrant runs out? I have looked at the posted manual over changing filter and oil etc.

Regards

Pat

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 17:02:36 »
To be fair, the warranty isn't worth much, but take that as my personal opinion. The warranty doesn't mean you HAVE to get it done at an authorised dealer. All you need to be able to prove if there is ever a dispute, is that the services were done at the right times, using the suitable parts and by a person competent. That's 'competent' not 'qualified'. Dealers would have you believe it has to be done by them, but this isn't true at all. It is up to you if you want to do it yourself or find an independent little motorbike shop with some bloke who genuinely loves bikes rather than just the money he makes from selling them and the service work he does. While the warranty is in place it is easier to prove that the independent bike shop knows what they are doing then having to prove you do. After the warranty is done it's up to you if you want to keep using the independent shop or do it yourself.

Just my 2p.

Offline briboy

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 20:03:23 »
Keep it looking at some of the miles members have clocked up they seem to go on and on.