Author Topic: Buying a new Strom  (Read 1227 times)

Anonymous

Buying a new Strom
« on: April 11, 2012, 18:18:49 »
Hello,

If you were buying a new DL650 Vstrom and there was a 2011 GT model and a 2012 (new shape) but only the basic model and they were both same price, which would you go for?

Offline Strommer

Re: Buying a new Strom
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 18:51:55 »
New one for me.  It'll have warranty and better mpg.  For me that matters, may not be deal breakers for the more tech. savvy.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 19:12:43 »
Although I have an 11-plater myself I would agree. The GT luggage isn't the absolute best and (I think) the only other thing you'll be missing is the centre stand and possibly handguards...

You will get the remainder of the maker's warranty on the 11 machine unless it's new old stock; then you'll get the two years.

The L2 does seem to be gaining approval as it has addressed some of the items discussed at length on this forum.
No bike at present.......

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 23:11:10 »
I'd buy the new one without a doubt. You can get heated grips for cheap, centre stands aren't a must, but if you want one it's not going to break the bank. I have a GT, I sold the luggage and got something proper instead.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline blackops

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:41:23 »
I had a 2008 x  absolutely brilliant bike but the new model is an improvement in every way. Test ride both and make your mind up. Oh by the way the white colour scheme is by far the fastest bike.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:58:57 »
As above, new one for the same reasons...also eventual resale value.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Captain Sensible

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:09:16 »
I have a 2008 GT model (twin spark), nice bike but like everyone else said, go for the new Wee or the Glee!

I'm waiting for prices to come down a touch and maybe tempted next year to buy a Glee.

I've only sat on the Glee in a showroom but it felt good , lighter it seemed and just a bit sharper on styling.

Both good bikes but go for the new one!

Dave
Keep On Riding

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 12:24:03 »
It is worth saying that if the old one was cheaper I'd have considered that instead of the new one. For me there isn't enough difference to justify buying the new one if an old one could be had for significantly less. But just the GT spec isn't enough to sway it at all. It's just hand guards, heated grips, a centre stand and crappy luggage that makes it a GT and out of those the only thing you can't get better of as an aftermarket part is the centre stand (most aftermarket ones are good equivalents though.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline malcolm

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 15:13:35 »
If its more than £4000 don't buy it as it will only be worth £3500 when you leave the showroom.
Buy privately if its less than 2 years old you don't need to worry as it will be covered by Suzuki warranty

Offline Strommer

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 16:00:32 »
....and if you update your profile with your location another site member may help you look over the bike.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline blackops

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 18:18:50 »
Just to put everything in perspective for you the new wee glee or whatever we call it doesn't feel anything like the old wee to ride, its significantly different in its own right with minor changes.