Author Topic: Vee - Front Brakes  (Read 651 times)

Offline FragglePete

• Bike: DL1000A L4
Vee - Front Brakes
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:03:17 »
I brought some new pads for my Vee a while back, and thought I'd give them ago the other day.  Looking at it all, looks like quite a quick job.  However, my usual curse has struck again; I took one of the front calipers off, removed the Pin, and selecting a 5mm socket to remove the retaining pin had the moment when the thing just turned without turning pin itself.  ie. The pins are made cheese!!!!

Rather than risking any more cursing and swearing, I put it back together, as I may need the bike next week as my car is at the garage for a few days.  So, plan of attack....

1. Buy a set of decent mole grips to assist in the removing of pins.
2. Replace the pins with a set of titanium pins from Pro-Bolt (is this worth it?)
3. Clean calipers best I can with old tooth brush and brake fluid.
4. Install new pads
5. Stand back and pat myself on the back for a job well done.

Anybody see any problems with my above approach?

Regards

Pete
FragglePete

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: Vee - Front Brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:37:23 »
Cheese screws and bolts are a standard fitment on the Vee. If the pins are siezed then I'd suggest soaking round them with Plus Gas- much better than WD40 and then try again with some mole grips. Once out give them a really good clean and remove any corrosion with wet and dry paper, make sure they are a sliding fit in the calipers. If they're not damaged they can be re-used but grease or copper slip them so that they'll come out again easily in future. If you can't get them out you might have to get the caliper into a vice and carefully apply some heat around the pins. A new set might be a good idea, but can't comment on titanium replacements. If you've got the brakes apart it might be wise to thoroughly clean and re-grease everything, especially the  sliders and check the condition/operation of the pistons. There are plenty of other posts on here on how to do this. If the pistons or sliders are sticking then your new pads will wear out very quickly as will this discs themselves.